IGNORED

Atari 7800 Console 'Box Pictures'

Metal Ghost

Hello all! I was wondering if the community had pictures to post of the box that the 7800 console came in and what 'version' of the consoles that box was too. To explain, I'm assuming that the brief '84 introductory run with the console w/expansion port had a different box than the re-introduction (?).

Just looking for US.

Also, any game box pictures would be cool too. I'm kind of guessing that the console had more than one version of the box, but I'm almost positive that the games did.

Thanks!

post-23-129061934563_thumb.jpg

Hello all! I was wondering if the community had pictures to post of the box that the 7800 console came in and what 'version' of the consoles that box was too. To explain, I'm assuming that the brief '84 introductory run with the console w/expansion port had a different box than the re-introduction (?).

Just looking for US.

Also, any game box pictures would be cool too. I'm kind of guessing that the console had more than one version of the box, but I'm almost positive that the games did.

Thanks!

Thanks guys. I'm looking to pick up a console so I've been searching on-line over the past week for one (why oh why did I ebay mine from when I was a kid?!?!). I had never seen the original box until I started scouring for one, at which point I simply wasn't sure which box version was from which production run.

Thinking about this now, I should have known which version was which, since Curt said that he's fashioning the XM box in the '84 style and he posted a pic of it, but thought I'd make sure.

The bummer of course is that I'd like to try and find a 7800 console w-box to match my XM box (how anal is that???), but the early boxes are SO much harder to find. There's one on ebay now but it's pretty trashed.

Oh well, gotta' be dilligent! Happy Thanksgiving all!

• 4 weeks later...

post-23-129061934563_thumb.jpg

Just looking for US.

Thanks!

Hey Curt (or anyone for that matter! :) ), happen to have an image of the back of the original box? I'm very excited that I got an original box in the mail yesterday that I just purchased (still need the actual console to go with your XM!), but it's from that initial re-release of the sytem, so it has stickers over the parts that I assume talk about the originally planned computer expandability. I'm just curious what the back originally said.

but it's from that initial re-release of the sytem, so it has stickers over the parts that I assume talk about the originally planned computer expandability. I'm just curious what the back originally said.

Nope.

The computer mention was removed from the purple text. In fact, (Curt probably has a memo somewhere) I have a feeling that the purple text blended into the background and made it hard to read on retailers shelves (I seem to recall these being kept behind many a counters instead of out to grab). I'm betting retailers complained about it. So the silver w/black text sticker was a quick way to retrofit without printing new boxes. Text is same as on purple version. Here's a picture:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_21xcM5acvYA/TCzJq7q2UgI/AAAAAAAAAKE/fdQJ-OXHhDE/s1600/112.JPG

but it's from that initial re-release of the sytem, so it has stickers over the parts that I assume talk about the originally planned computer expandability. I'm just curious what the back originally said.

Nope.

The computer mention was removed from the purple text. In fact, (Curt probably has a memo somewhere) I have a feeling that the purple text blended into the background and made it hard to read on retailers shelves (I seem to recall these being kept behind many a counters instead of out to grab). I'm betting retailers complained about it. So the silver w/black text sticker was a quick way to retrofit without printing new boxes. Text is same as on purple version. Here's a picture:

http://4.bp.blogspot...E/s1600/112.JPG

Yea, but that box must have been the first design but run from second run, becuase if you look at the picture Curt posted above the front-box text is different than your pic and indeed mentions the computer. On my actual box, the front sticker is on, but it's still showing some text (because it wasn't placed neatly over all the text) and I can see where it starts to say 'Expandable' just like in Curt's pic.

Now, at least on my box, there is a sticker on the back of the box as well over a section. Don't know what's behind it though (which is why I'm hoping someone has a pic).

Edited by Metal Ghost

Nope.

Yea, but that box must have been the first design but run from second run, becuase if you look at the picture Curt posted above the front-box text is different than your pic and indeed mentions the computer. On my actual box, the front sticker is on, but it's still showing some text (because it wasn't placed neatly over all the text) and I can see where it starts to say 'Expandable' just like in Curt's pic.

Now, at least on my box, there is a sticker on the back of the box as well over a section. Don't know what's behind it though (which is why I'm hoping someone has a pic).

I have a rev 1 7800 and still have the original box for it. Its at my house or still at my parents (in Cleveland) which I will be going there this weekend. I'll look for it and take a pic of the back.

Nope.

I have a rev 1 7800 and still have the original box for it. Its at my house or still at my parents (in Cleveland) which I will be going there this weekend. I'll look for it and take a pic of the back.

Great, thanks for the help! It's really only curiosity that is making me ask, but I am indeed quite curious to know what's behind that label on the back of the box!

Nope.

Great, thanks for the help! It's really only curiosity that is making me ask, but I am indeed quite curious to know what's behind that label on the back of the box!

Unfortunately while I was there I could not find the box. I found other console boxes but not the one for my 7800. I know its there somewhere...