IGNORED

4 port switch box

daafies

It's meant to reduce cable clutter but got a bad rap by some people claiming it starts fires, which has never, ever been proven. Mostly, though, it's one of the more expensive parts to replace if yours stops working or you buy a system that doesn't come with one. I've seen a few lately as low as $20 but $30-$40 is more the norm. That's a lot of money compared to the $5 switchbox the 2600 uses.

Edited by OldAtarian

It's meant to reduce cable clutter but got a bad rap by some people claiming it starts fires, which has never, ever been proven. Mostly, though, it's one of the more expensive parts to replace if yours stops working or you buy a system that doesn't come with one. I've seen a few lately as low as $20 but $30-$40 is more the norm. That's a lot of money compared to the $5 switchbox the 2600 uses.

I have seen sparks but only when you plug in the RF cable into it while switchbox is plugged in. If you leave your system plugged in, you don't see any sparks.

why is everyone hating on the switch box of the 4 port 5200? sure its RF, but *shrugs*, it works fine, no?

It is easy to hate something that aint good. I do however collect the model that used the switchbox cause I want the good BIOS and 4-ports insted of just 2. I was'nt so hard to modify the 5200 so I will do it over and over again :)

thanks for all the replies. i guess i am lucky that my switchbox has been behaving.

great topic. keep the atari alive!

david

Its not bad. A working switch box is just fine. I do like the single wire to the console. Problem is over the years the switch box might get separated from the console and making the console useless unless it or a replacement is found.

The sparking thing is bullshit. You have to plug the power supply to the wall after the RF wire is hooked up.

Even so... It sparks at 1st contact. I've seen just as big of a spark plugging the 9V adapter into the back of a 2600.

why is everyone hating on the switch box of the 4 port 5200? sure its RF, but *shrugs*, it works fine, no?

It is easy to hate something that aint good. I do however collect the model that used the switchbox cause I want the good BIOS and 4-ports insted of just 2. I was'nt so hard to modify the 5200 so I will do it over and over again :)

And just why, exactly, "ain't" it good? Keep in mind you'll get thumped if you say it's dangerous. :x :lol: