IGNORED

Trouble with 8bit Video Mod

99'er Forever

Anybody else have trouble withe the 8bit video mod?

Picture seems washed out and some of the vertical lines, such as Super Breakout seem to be crooked.

Nope. Both mine are sharp and clear. Check the ground at the RCA jack. When I 1st installed my 2nd unit, there was a break in the ground where they daisy chain the ground wires from loop to loop.

• Like 1

Anybody else have trouble withe the 8bit video mod?

Picture seems washed out and some of the vertical lines, such as Super Breakout seem to be crooked.

My 5200 has the 8bitdomain S-video mod. I love it - I get very good colors and saturation, even on my computer's capture card.

• 2 weeks later...

I grabbed some a couple of pictures of the problem. This is with composite input. The colors are washed out on every game and the vertical lines are crooked in Super Breakout but in Pac-Man the vertical lines are fine.

It looks like you have a pretty nice Sony WEGA television, so it should have an S-video jack on the back. Have you tried connecting your 5200 up via S-video instead of composite?

Whether or not you get a good image via S-video, it will provide further insight into the problem.

I grabbed some a couple of pictures of the problem. This is with composite input. The colors are washed out on every game and the vertical lines are crooked in Super Breakout but in Pac-Man the vertical lines are fine.

Have you tried on another television? I remember having a similar issue with this mod on a Philips TV many years ago.

I don't know anything technical about it, but it seems the intensity of this mod is very high and not all CRTs like it.

I have a portable RCA CRT that wont even display the 5200 using this mod.

Also, i seem to remember the 1st run of these mods having something wrong. Sometimes things looked wrong, like the Lucas logo is Ballblazers. There was a suggested fix for it and when I tried it the colors were exactly as I see in you pictures above, all washed out. So I just set it back to how it was. I also remember the maker offered to "fix" all the mods at the time. Was you mod sent back to be fixed?

Here is the link:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/41257-5200-video-mod-problem/page__view__findpost__p__503190

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. I bought this back in 2003 or 2004 and never got around to putting it in. After reading through that old thread you posted, it seems that there is problem with the board and a few resistors need to be changed. Might be beyond my soldering skills.

I have 2 of these mods. The one in my 4 port is one of the 1st ones made that has this trouble described in the old thread. I never had it fixed. I did the power mod to that 5200 and I use it daily on a 55" sony LCD. It looks great. So did you try a different display and compare?

• Like 1

Ok, so I hooked it up to my 13 year old Samsung GX TV. Colors looked great. Still the crooked vertical lines in Super Breakout though. Hooked it back up to the Sony and played around with the color settings for a while. I was able to get a good picture with it finally! :) I guess I'll have to live with the crooked lines since it only effects one game.

post-25775-12925469432_thumb.jpg

post-25775-129254695224_thumb.jpg

post-25775-129254706258_thumb.jpg