IGNORED

HSC7 Game 20: Pole Position

Here is my score for Race D and F.

Notice the difference in COLOR between Atari 65XE (Race F) and Atari 800XL (Race D) ... !!!

The 65XE is in our Living Room (yes my Wife loves the Atari too... she's a keeper *SMILE*) and I played it this morning. Tonight I played Race D on the 800XL in my Hobby Room. I like the screenoutput of the 800XL! It is so much better!

Both PAL machines ofcourse.

Poleposition-8lapATGP.jpg = Race F

poleposition-4lapNAMCO.jpg = Race D

greetz Marius.

Cool, i'll take races E and G. :cool: I'll try my best not to let my team down. :)

I did trial runs on E and F/G best I got was 40-50k on each. I did a run of A & B and got nearly perfect scores as best I can tell.

Okay, Roadrunner you have E & G. I'll do B,C and F. Zylon do A and D (easy to remember AD). Here's what I got for B and D but I think you can beat D so I'm giving you D.

post-16716-12920199154_thumb.jpg

post-16716-12920199305_thumb.jpg

Cool, i'll take races E and G. :cool: I'll try my best not to let my team down. :)

I did trial runs on E and F/G best I got was 40-50k on each. I did a run of A & B and got nearly perfect scores as best I can tell.

Okay, Roadrunner you have E & G. I'll do B,C and F. Zylon do A and D (easy to remember AD). Here's what I got for B and D but I think you can beat D so I'm giving you D.

Never mind that B. It's supposed to be 2 laps. I did 4. So I have to redo race B.

Attention There and Backsters, aka TheRealBountyBob and Sloopy,

you two should take the two hardest because I think you'll do better than I will.

Let me know what you'll take, and I'll take what's left. I'll get going tonight and tomorrow,

and then post the races I am doing for the competition, and then focus on those.

you two should take the two hardest because I think you'll do better than I will.

Let me know what you'll take, and I'll take what's left. I'll get going tonight and tomorrow,

and then post the races I am doing for the competition, and then focus on those.

hey, i already said that :')

i did a test run and got almost 30k on race A

sloopy.

hey, i already said that :')

i did a test run and got almost 30k on race A

sloopy.

How about

trbb D, F

sloop B, C, G

lj A, E (or if you can't complete E swap with D or C)

:?:

Is the score conversion still -500 points / lap (PAL vs. NTSC)? I might play the games again on Emulator in NTSC modus. I have this Stelladaptor, so I could play with the same joystick, and I guess that is almost the same.

I have to say: I prefer playing this on real equipment... it is much more fun. To be honest I 'hate' the emulator a bit... but... I have made really high scores, and I want to feel the difference between NTSC and PAL, to be sure my score is also high on NTSC mode.

So tell me: do i stay on real thing, or is it better to play on NTSC mode?

And is the conversion still - 500 points/lap ... on each race? Or only the harder ones?

Thanks

Marius

@The Real Bounty Bob

From now on I play on NTSC

I think it is more fair to play all on NTSC modus. Not only the timer is different on NTSC. The whole game is harder in NTSC. So it is not fair to compete with different PAL<>NTSC.

Here is my result for RACE B - NTSC

2 laps Malibu. 38900 points.

Race E Namco Speedway NTSC 88,400 :) :cool:

and i did better at race G DataSoft 500 NTSC 88,050 :) :cool:

I was doing good until i got stuck behind a big pack of cars near the end of lap 7. :x

Try with PAL as well. I just did PAL with Atari Grand Prix and finished the race (race F).

Remember, "it doesn't matter if it's PAL or NTSC, as long as you win the race." PAL is much easier and it's worth taking the 500/lap hit.

post-16716-129207520655_thumb.jpg

@The Real Bounty Bob

I think it is more fair to play all on NTSC modus. Not only the timer is different on NTSC. The whole game is harder in NTSC. So it is not fair to compete with different PAL<>NTSC.

Don't let the scoring factor influence your choice, I'd usually prefer the real atari hardware over emulation. I'm sticking to my XE, it's a shame the PAL game works out much easier(?) for years I thought this game was too easy but never realised it was down to the PAL/NTSC difference, maybe one day we will have a patched version (yes Fandal i'm looking at you :D ) It's only for fun (did I really say that?!) but i'll look at the scoring adjustments when we have some more results to compare. If there is a maximum score for each race in PAL/NTSC we can use factor this in later.

For now here's my first go on Race F, I had several crashes :)

108,250 - 4000 = 104,250post-19705-12920761447_thumb.jpg

First Post has link to current teams (post 67)

@The Real Bounty Bob

Don't let the scoring factor influence your choice, I'd usually prefer the real atari hardware over emulation. I'm sticking to my XE, it's a shame the PAL game works out much easier(?) for years I thought this game was too easy but never realised it was down to the PAL/NTSC difference, maybe one day we will have a patched version (yes Fandal i'm looking at you :D ) It's only for fun (did I really say that?!) but i'll look at the scoring adjustments when we have some more results to compare. If there is a maximum score for each race in PAL/NTSC we can use factor this in later.

For now here's my first go on Race F, I had several crashes :)

108,250 - 4000 = 104,250

post-19705-12920761447_thumb.jpg

I notice a timing difference. I can get Pole Position with 35 seconds left in PAL and with 30 seconds left in NTSC mode. So that's 5 seconds.

How much will you deduct for those in my team who take steroids to win the race?

I am getting about 2500 more points in race B with PAL vs. NTSC and that's without crashing.

post-16716-129207807848_thumb.jpg

Race E Namco Speedway NTSC 88,400 :) :cool:

and i did better at race G DataSoft 500 NTSC 88,050 :) :cool:

I was doing good until i got stuck behind a big pack of cars near the end of lap 7. :x

Try with PAL as well. I just did PAL with Atari Grand Prix and finished the race (race F).

Remember, "it doesn't matter if it's PAL or NTSC, as long as you win the race." PAL is much easier and it's worth taking the 500/lap hit.

I'd say the PAL final score of the race should be lowered with 20% of the total score. I think that gives a rather 'fair' result (comparing to same race in NTSC)

Or not?

Greetz

M.

Ok we are having a rather 'unclear' thread now... (due to me too)

What we need is a GOOD score conversion. I think Pal - 20% total score is rather 'fair' and comes close.

A conversion of the game is harder than you think. I think the NTSC version should run slower... (that is easier to realise!) than to fasten up the PAL version, since it is using the Vertical Blank interrupt for timing.

But ok.

I'm rather confused now. Do I stick to my real hardware (The Real Bounty Bob advised me that) and get only PAL results? Or do I play on Emulator on NTSC setting?

I have to admit I was rather 'proud' of my NTSC scores though :D

I think it is the coolest when everyone races in the same 'system' ... so the scores are all comparable.

Greetz

M.