IGNORED

HSC7 Game 20: Pole Position

That's same as I got. I want you to give E a shot (8 laps of Namco). If you can outdo Roadrunner, we can swap D with E. I will be doing B & C & F.

Here's my B&C scores:

Within the hour...

Update: Here's E

post-25215-12922183714_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

That's same as I got. I want you to give E a shot (8 laps of Namco). If you can outdo Roadrunner, we can swap D with E. I will be doing B & C & F.

Here's my B&C scores:

Within the hour...

Update: Here's E

Awesome. You will be doing A and E. Try to finish the race so we can outdo the PAL people.

Okay, Roadrunner these are the final races to be run by you: D and G. If you can't finish in NTSC, do PAL.

I am doing B, C, and F.

Confusion Pal Versions

----------------------

Yes this is true. Perhaps it is better to start a new topic about Pole Position PAL versions indeed. I'm Sorry for the confusion. I want(ed) to create a PAL version which score-results are comparable with the NTSC version. I still think it is a good idea. And later this day (I'm now at work, so I can not work on that) I'll create better version.

I'll try to add a version (as long as I'm working on this) number on the screen, so anyone knows which is the right/current version.

Sorry again for any inconvenience. I hope you guys have the same fun with this as I have. It is really cool to 'hack' this, and I have to say: I have never been SO interested in Pole Position. (Thanks to this HSC).

So stay tuned for more, and I'll create a new Pole Position thread in the general Atari 8-bit- Computers forum here on Atari Age.

Greetings

Marius

Sorry again for any inconvenience. I hope you guys have the same fun with this as I have. It is really cool to 'hack' this, and I have to say: I have never been SO interested in Pole Position. (Thanks to this HSC).

So stay tuned for more, and I'll create a new Pole Position thread in the general Atari 8-bit- Computers forum here on Atari Age.

Greetings

Marius

How about figuring out how to trigger the "211mph" bug? That would be more interesting.

Here's Race E score update for now-- need more time to try this out.

post-12094-129223230539_thumb.jpg

Ahh, looks good, made 2nd on qualifing (Atari GP) after a few goes, think I can maybe get pole! Still think it's harder than the NTSC version but will test tomorrow. Good Work :thumbsup:

post-19705-129219121853_thumb.png

If anyone is confused - don't worry just play! This version can be used by PAL (european) users on real Atari's if they find the original version of Pole Position too easy :)

I think it's time to make it clear whether PAL version should be played at all since now we have multiple PAl versions as well. My team is doing better with PAL so you want us to drop those scores and do NTSC?

Yes NTSC version please unless you find it way too difficult (you can hardly complete a 1 lap race) then you can stay on PAL, if you only have PAL then that is ok, if you don't know what all this means, just play ;)

Could we have some team summaries posted when you've worked out who's doing what please :?:

Okay, I'll take Roadrunner and Atariron since I know them from A5200 HSC. If they agree.

Suggest a team name; maybe the "Drift kids".

Wow! It looks like all of the fun is happening over here(you can nearly hear a pin drop over in 5200-land where I've been brushing up on BBSB).

Thanks for the invite Divya, but I've been immersed in Cellular Biology finals over at the Uni :( .

This is is not my best game though and Zylon may be the better pick.

Well, I'm here now but alas the loner. I'll take a cue from Mr.Amiga and call myself the "Road Warrior". If two more members join (like atarianna..) and hopefully Mr.Amiga, then we'll be 'The Road Warriors'. Motto: "live to ride, ride to live".

I'm gonna get started on races B, D, and F--(NTSC). Off to the track...

leave me alone :D

I've been in touch with atarianna, she should be up and running in a couple of days. You just need to beg Mr A. I'm sure he'll crack, tell him Briky will be over to stay for Christmas if he doesn't play ;)

This is a bit freaky, had my 2nd go on Race F and scored exactly the same as my 1st go :ponder:

post-19705-129224547877_thumb.png

Don't worry team, there's more gas in the tank :D

[edit]

post-19705-129224656957_thumb.png

Very funny... at least I didn't get 43,050 again :roll:

That would be moreinteresting.

:D :D :D :D

I'll check on that too ...

And ofcourse keeping our hiscores high!

Marius

How about more gears too, that should keep you from increasing your score too much ;) Did you see the thread a while ago on the main forum where rybags? added the prepare to qualify speech (it sounded evil) to the game :?:

p.s. no worries about posting the new versions here, just wanted to make it clear to new people that might be looking at playing that the main thing was to join in :)

OK guys (and girls)

Check here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/173793-poleposition-pal-fix/

Did not find the 211MPH bug yet... but I managed to fix the FINISHING FLAG bug!

Greetz

M.

Seems to be another "bug" in the time you gain when finishing a lap. Sometimes it adds 15 seconds sometimes 10 or less. I was trying Atari Grand Prix and I had 13 seconds left when I finished the lap and then it went to 68. Sometimes, I seem to get 74 seconds for the next lap.

Seems to be another "bug" in the time you gain when finishing a lap. Sometimes it adds 15 seconds sometimes 10 or less. I was trying Atari Grand Prix and I had 13 seconds left when I finished the lap and then it went to 68. Sometimes, I seem to get 74 seconds for the next lap.

Perhaps it is better to move this to that other thread but ok...

I did not see the problem yet in my version, but... it is right that the bonus time is not in each round the same! I found this in the program. Each round has a different extra time. Perhaps I made a typo somewhere... but it is not a fault that different laps has different extra time. The further you get, the less extra time is added. That is a 'feature' already in original game.

But I'll look for the problem you describe... 15 secs extra time is definately wrong.

Greetz.

M.

Perhaps it is better to move this to that other thread but ok...

I did not see the problem yet in my version, but... it is right that the bonus time is not in each round the same! I found this in the program. Each round has a different extra time. Perhaps I made a typo somewhere... but it is not a fault that different laps has different extra time. The further you get, the less extra time is added. That is a 'feature' already in original game.

But I'll look for the problem you describe... 15 secs extra time is definately wrong.

Greetz.

M.

What's the pattern of times added per lap completed? 15 seconds is definitely getting added if the base time given is 60 seconds-- it's in one of those races we are running.

It is not 15 seconds... It is not working with base time.

The fixed ADD time values are stored in $9049 - $9052

and in Zero Page Location $8E you'll find the index.

So when you play Practice run, $8E reads zero. So the time added after first lap is read in $9049 = $49 = 49 seconds added.

But when you start NAMCO SPEEDWAY $8E read seven. So the time added after first lap is read in $9049 + 7 = $9050 = 51 seconds added.

This routine is found here:

8DF0:F8                SED
8DF1:A6 8E             LDX $8E     ;RUNSTK
8DF3:A5 B1             LDA $B1
8DF5:18                CLC
8DF6:7D 49 90          ADC $9049,X
8DF9:85 B1             STA $B1

The TIMER data is stored in $B1 (it is in DECIMAL format!!)

The ADD time value is read in $9049,X where X is index!

I simply altered the values in $9049 and up, and I double checked, I did not make mistakes.

Greetz

M.

Team There and Back, when the chips are down, in the midst of an administrative nightmare . . .

A 27, 750 (lj)

B (sloop)

C (sloop)

D 55,050 (trbbb)

E (lj)

F 54, 100 (trbb)

G (sloop)

total thus far : 136,900 NTSC

to get me started...

B - 38950

C - 39250

G - 55000