IGNORED

GQ-4X eprom programmer problem with TMS2532AJL series.

Cosmic Ark

HI. I'm new. I'm Italian and Excuse my English!

I like reprogramming Atari 2600 cartridige and restoration them. But I've a problem with EPROM TMS2532Ajl (The only easily findable after 2716 or 2732 series)

I use GQ-4X universal programmer (Willem derivative) and it supports these TMS2532JL eprom series. The utility is GQ USB Prg Re6.00. It read them and the blank check and verify are ok.

I load games.bin, I click on "write eprom" but when it reach at 4% of the writing process, I gives me the following error: "write failure, Adress=0x000000, Buffer=0xE7, Device=0xFF" :sad: .

What is the mistake? :?

I like reprogramming Atari 2600 cartridige and restoration them. But I've a problem with EPROM TMS2532Ajl (The only easily findable after 2716 or 2732 series)

I use GQ-4X universal programmer (Willem derivative) and it supports these TMS2532JL eprom series. The utility is GQ USB Prg Re6.00. It read them and the blank check and verify are ok.

I load games.bin, I click on "write eprom" but when it reach at 4% of the writing process, I gives me the following error: "write failure, Adress=0x000000, Buffer=0xE7, Device=0xFF" :sad: .

The willem is the problem. They are unable to supply sufficient programming voltage.

My Willem programmer is this: http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4312

It is not parallel and for 60% is almost automatic, and supports both USB and the power supply. The eprom 27c16 24 pin has regularly programmed, but I was wrong in the starting string address(I know that I should start from a string around A0 of code), but this eprom is a single write and hard to find. I found a series of 10 eprom tms2532jl 24 pin, in a store and they sold me all for 20 € (about U.S. $ 26.27) and I would like to take advantage of these.

Perhaps I should try increasing the voltage from the power supply 9v to 12v? Or so I should damage the programmer? Or about the setting? :sad:

Most (all?) willems require mods to support the higher programming voltages required for older eproms.

The ones the do have external power have overheating and dropout issues when using the higher programming voltages.

Take a quick read through the Willem programmer forums.

• 3 weeks later...

So I need to modify the programmer. But I don't know what kind of modification I have to do. If I need put a device to increase the voltage without damage to the programmer, or a simple adapter to put on the ZIF socket.

In the forum willem there insn't a specific solution for my programmer :sad: !

TMS2532JL EPROMS are 100% on compatibility list of this programmer, and they are blank and not dameged (I tested them, and if someone of these was not blank, the programmer was displaying error message, only two of these was not blank).

• 1 month later...

Originally, what eproms (24 pin) was using the Atari factory in the years 70-80? The serial numbers of the original Atari eproms (24-pin always) referred to other serial numbers by the Atari factory invented (for example, the serial number began with CO or CX etc...). What eproms precisely coincide among those actually on the market?

Edited by Cosmic Ark

the tms2532 of texas instruments is not a same of 2732, a11 is pin 18 of tms but a11 is on pin 21 of 2732.

jean louis

The rom that I want redump on physical eprom is "pac-man (hack.bin)", in this rom I'd change the date with BitHacker(was 1999 and I put 1981). This is the revisioned of pac-man with original maze very similar at its arcade version, as would been programmed in backtime!

The rom is this:

Download now rom to redump!

The label to put on chase is this:

pac-man_cx2646_hack_label_A_LOGO_BLACK.jpg

The top label is this:

pac-man_cx2646_hack_top_label.jpg

:lust: I wish much to realize it!

Edited by Cosmic Ark

ehm... :lust: I want to realize it a lot! (so it's correct!)

...By jean louis:

the tms2532 of texas instruments is not a same of 2732, a11 is pin 18 of tms but a11 is on pin 21 of 2732.

@ jean louis: But for use tms2532ajl, what is the binary address I have to start program? Do you know I need an adapter for my programmer to ability it for those eprom series? Or it's impossible with my programmer? Thanks!

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4312

Edited by Cosmic Ark

ehm... :lust: I want to realize it a lot! (so it's correct!)

...By jean louis:

@ jean louis: But for use tms2532ajl, what is the binary address I have to start program? Do you know I need an adapter for my programmer to ability it for those eprom series? Or it's impossible with my programmer? Thanks!

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4312

i have look your documentation for your programmer

read juste read the tms2532A

read and write the tms2532jl

are you sur of reference of your component.

have you erase your EPROM 20 minutes ??

jean louis