IGNORED

What is the worse atari game ever made?

Syntaxerror999

At least in sssSnake you visibly made a difference during gameplay. Not to say it was not close to being the worst game on the system, but IMO Karate barely qualifies as a game and is in fact a borderline abstract torture exercise.

I got a migraine from playing Sssnake for 20 minutes once. No game has ever done that to me.

Not to say this makes it a bad game, but I was once playing House of the Dead on Dreamcast with a friend of mine and both of us had light guns with high speed auto-fire enabled, causing the screen to flash like mad. One second everything was fine, the next I was running to vomit my guts out in the bathroom. :woozy:

[/quote the whole nausia/seizure phenomina is interesting. i know that the death scene in zelda II: adventure of link gave some people seizures, if you notice in the gba re-release it was edited to just a red screen instead of a flashing one. also, i know a few people (including my girlfriend) who can't stand to look at super mario galaxy because the constant change in perspective makes them ill.

hey i messed up the quote/reply again, the above dreamcast quote can be attributed to Kripto while the zelda II quote is mine

the whole nausia/seizure phenomina is interesting. i know that the death scene in zelda II: adventure of link gave some people seizures, if you notice in the gba re-release it was edited to just a red screen instead of a flashing one. also, i know a few people (including my girlfriend) who can't stand to look at super mario galaxy because the constant change in perspective makes them ill.

hey i messed up the quote/reply again, the above dreamcast quote can be attributed to Kripto while the zelda II quote is mine

the whole nausia/seizure phenomina is interesting. i know that the death scene in zelda II: adventure of link gave some people seizures, if you notice in the gba re-release it was edited to just a red screen instead of a flashing one. also, i know a few people (including my girlfriend) who can't stand to look at super mario galaxy because the constant change in perspective makes them ill.

Yeah, you should've edited the post to correct it. Powerslave on the PS1 also made me nearly puke.

Also I sort of hate Frogs and Flies. I understand the appeal if you're five, but raise your hand if you're five.... didn't think so.

Karate is completely unplayable. That gets my vote.

Karate is ok as long as you hit the reset button to start a game instead of a button on your joystick. If you hit a button on your joystick to start a game you can't move the players. You'd think someone would have noticed that in play testing.

I'd say SSSnake is still a worse game though.

i know a few people (including my girlfriend) who can't stand to look at super mario galaxy because the constant change in perspective makes them ill.

I haven't had a game make me ill, but some of the first-person shooter parts of Shadows of the Empire (PC version), such as the Gall Spaceport level (where a player often finds himself looking "over the brink and down into the abyss"), used to give me the feeling that I'm losing my balance even though I'd be sitting comfortably in a chair. Doesn't happen so much anymore since the $#!+@&% "modern" 3-D card I have now doesn't render the fog, so now I can see all the way to the bottom. But I sure miss the creepy colored fog in Xizor's palace.

All 2600 had bad graphics but if I had to pick I would have to say POOYAN.

Excuse me for not understanding, as i understand some AA members are foreign and their English may not be so good. Do you mean "POOYAN" is a game you like or dislike graphic wise or playwise, or both?Not sure what you meant.All 2600 had bad graphics"?? :? That means to me that all 2600 CONSOLES had bad graphics.Well i guess so, they're all the same machine.A game with some say the worse graphics like 2600 Pac-Man will look bad on all 2600 machines.That's what your statement said to me.If you meant all 2600 GAMES have bad graphics, well that's a relative thing.If you compare the 2600 to other consoles, yeah the graphics may not seem so great, but comparing the 2600 to other consoles graphic wise is senseless.Like all consoles, there are great games, graphic wise, and some with less than spectacular graphics.Same thing goes for games play wise.Have you seen many of the 2600 titles?There are some that have just AMAZING graphics.If one says the 2600 has crap graphics, they obviously have not seen the best games this system offers graphically speaking.And if you know the 2600, you know that beautiful graphics doesn't always make a great game PLAY wise.Some of the best 2600 games that are indeed addicting also, have very simple graphics that some would say are lack for a better term "CRAP" , but the GAME PLAY is fantastic. ;) Then there are the games that are considered crap game play and graphic wise, but that's still a matter of taste,IMO.

Edited by Rik

That's a good example mbd30.Also your example proves that Adventure although simple in graphics was also loved and favored by a large number of Atari 2600 players because of the great complex game play. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but in the same year Mattel released Major League Baseball (and Super Challenge Baseball for the 2600), Atari came out with the superior Realsports Baseball."

Wow, watch the video again. I guess if you like base runners disappearing when you throw or hit a ball. It is superior! LOL

Let me push the joystick left twice to get the left fielder oops.. short stop! shit.. The 2600 sports just plain sucked!

Less activision hockey.

Oh, Intellivision had a second version of baseball... World Series Major League Baseball. With voice play-by-play and camera angle views. way ahead of it's time.

Of course they also had Play Cable, Melody Blaster ( guitar hero for the piano, only realistic ), voice synthesis etc. etc. etc.

Don't bother trying to compare these systems.

However... the 2600 kicked ass with space invaders, asteroids etc. Pretty much any arcade game less bump 'n jump and burgertime.

Also loved the swordquest games! They had a bunch of mini-games in them. I liked that a lot.

Pac Man was fine too, It is still a cool maze game today. Plus Ms Pac Man did a lot to save face.

One more thing.... MLB was the very first game EVER written for the Intellivision, 5 YEARS before RealShit baseball.

--Worst Game for the 2600..... Donkey Kong! ( well, anything coleco made ). They made these games look like shit, to boost the colecovision.

They knew they would sell a million copies of DK even if it was SHIT.

Also loved the swordquest games! They had a bunch of mini-games in them. I liked that a lot.

So you weren't pissed off that they were supposed to be adventure games, not a collection of poorly done rip-offs of random arcade games? And you weren't offended by how bad the mini-games were?

Related post:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/173598-atari-2600-games-that-angered-you-to-no-end/page__view__findpost__p__2157715

Those Swordquest games pissed me off. They were not adventure games as Atari defined adventure games (Adventure/Superman). They were just a maze of rooms with poorly done, horrible, horrible, horrible, offensive, cheap ripoffs of various arcade games. I felt like Atari spit on us, punched us in the stomach, and kicked us in the balls all at the same time.

That's a good example mbd30.Also your example proves that Adventure although simple in graphics was also loved and favored by a large number of Atari 2600 players because of the great complex game play. :thumbsup:

That wasn't Adventure. It was Mini Golf.

OOps!i meant Mini Golf which is a great playing game in my opinion and doesn't have fancy graphics.I had Adventure in my mind as well, which i mistakenly posted.Thank for the heads up :sleep: :dunce:

• Like 1

Yeah, you should've edited the post to correct it. Powerslave on the PS1 also made me nearly puke.

Also I sort of hate Frogs and Flies. I understand the appeal if you're five, but raise your hand if you're five.... didn't think so.

hi rex, i mostly post on the iphone which makes it tough to edit

So you weren't pissed off that they were supposed to be adventure games, not a collection of poorly done rip-offs of random arcade games? And you weren't offended by how bad the mini-games were?

Related post:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/173598-atari-2600-games-that-angered-you-to-no-end/page__view__findpost__p__2157715

Those Swordquest games pissed me off. They were not adventure games as Atari defined adventure games (Adventure/Superman). They were just a maze of rooms with poorly done, horrible, horrible, horrible, offensive, cheap ripoffs of various arcade games. I felt like Atari spit on us, punched us in the stomach, and kicked us in the balls all at the same time.

This is to the 2 reply's.. Don't mean to offend anybody on here. If you were a developer of any of these games.... Sorry, but this was a worst game thing!

Well, I guess the coleco developers just plain sucked then?

Activision seemed to make pretty good games with little to no flicker and pretty nice graphics.

The home brew games look and play better than the coleco games.

Part 2>>>

As for swordquest games, I was about 10 the last time I played them.

I remember being pissed that I couldn't find the last 2 games in the series.

The adventure....Again 10 years old, was in the comic book with clues from the game.

I know I have the first two carts someplace around here, but I'd bet I don't have the comic books or the notes I made on the clues.

The last time I played a 2600 game on a 2600.. was 1996. I have the activision collection on the GBA. Played that a little bit.

Actually thinking back, I really liked Montezuma's revenge. But that may have been for a different system? C64 maybe?

I just picked up the harmony cart, and I am looking for a 7800 system. I want to try one on one. I used to love that game for the c64.

Actually, a 7800 emu that plays at the correct clock speed would be cool too.

Wow.... sorry for all the random stuff I just typed!

Unfortunately, the highest scoring move in the game, dropping all of the bad guys - nasties - at one time, requires that they all be in a row. So how could he keep a row of sprites from flickering? Ron used something of a cheat: a regular sprite's look is defined by the programmer, but there is also a special sprite - a missile - defined by the hardware. A missile is simply a rectangle intended, as its name implies, to be used as the graphic for a projectile. The programmer cannot change its shape, only its color and width. Despite its graphical limitations, missiles do have one advantage: they don't flicker when in a row with other sprites. So Ron made a square missile orange and called it a slice of cheese, made another square white and called it an egg, and made a thin missile brown and called it a bread stick. Voila: no flickering.

8)

That thin missile brown is the ball object. :) Stella 2.8 played the game correctly(The enemies drops down with the burger piece) and it shows that the game has 1024 bytes(I think) of RAM included on cartridge. If the Atari 2600 was faster, then it could be a good port.

I like ET, I'll admit that. The instruction is needed to understand how to play this game.

Sorcerers is terrible and has very annoying music. This game is a perfect torture device, the music alone will drive anyone crazy, even animals.

When will folks finally STOP with that absurd myth that Coleco made games intentionally bad for other systems?I remember when i was a kid, hearing kids make up all sorts of stupid rumors for things they knew nothing about.This I'm sorry to say, is the stupidest one.Time, money constraints, lazy, bad programming lack of know how, are basically some of the real reasons.(Feel free to add more reasons besides that silly one BTW) :roll: .But no, not to make ColecoVision games look better.Coleco didn't have to sabotage, taint their image or shoot themselves in the foot to make folks realize that.Scenario:Coleco: "Oh, we have to make games crap for other systems to make our ColecoVision look better since we're the only ones making games right now, that will make us look better and sell tons more games" :roll: :roll: :roll: Sorry for the rant, but this is silly beyond belief.

Edited by Rik
  • Like 1

When will folks finally STOP with that absurd myth that Coleco made games intentionally bad for other systems?I remember when i was a kid, hearing kids make up all sorts of stupid rumors for things they knew nothing about.This I'm sorry to say, is the stupidest one.Time, money constraints, lazy, bad programming lack of know how, are basically some of the real reasons.(Feel free to add more reasons besides that silly one BTW) :roll: .But no, not to make ColecoVision games look better.Coleco didn't have to sabotage, taint their image or shoot themselves in the foot to make folks realize that.

yes, and I would also like to point out that a lot of in-house projects for the CV didn't look so hot, either (notwithstanding some excellent arcade ports). check out AVGN's double vision video.