IGNORED

The atari 7800 is INVINCIBLE amazing atari 7800 story

PAC MAN FEVER

Hey everyone this is a story that will make you surprised. I was packing to get ready to go to the mountains, well i decided to take a break and play my 7800. I was in a intense game of food fight when my mother was nagging me to continue packing :x. So i paused the game and continued to pack and then left for the mountains. It wasn't i was half way home(coming back from the trip) that i realized that i had left it on =o. the second i got to my house ran to my room and discovered that there was no damage at all and the system works perfectly :D. but that is the last time i forget to do that.

share your atari 7800 stories

Edited by PAC MAN FEVER

That is a cool story. The only thing that comes close to that would be my Atari 400.800 and things that I have done to my Atari Jaguar.

As for the 7800 the one thing I can say is they are strudy in my experience. I had a 7800 that I had basically thrown around in my stuff for a while before I really started to use it, and it worked basically fine when I started to use it.

Like the design of the 7800 so much I use it instead of a 2600.

I've treated my 7800 very well so far. It never suffers physical abuse (except maybe the crappy ProLine controllers), I never bother to leave it turned on overnight and it gets to play lots of great 2600/7800 games. What better retirement could you ask for?

Actually, in light of that 7800XM add-on, I think it'd be correct to say that the 7800 will be coming out of retirement soon. I don't know of any worthwhile games for that add-on though, so I'm not very interested.

• Like 3

I don't know of any worthwhile games for that add-on though

Have you tried any? Before insulting the people here who are working on the games and suggesting that their work is not 'worthwhile', how about giving them a whirl first?

How is he supposed to try games that don't exist in any tangible form yet, for an add-on that hasn't shipped yet?

I don't think his intention was to insult anyone. Just that there's really only been one game announced for the thing, and all we've seen are still image screen shots. Which makes the games about as playable as the screenshots of SkyFox and Rescue on Fractalus from the original 7800 launch box.

• Like 1

Have you tried any? Before insulting the people here who are working on the games and suggesting that their work is not 'worthwhile', how about giving them a whirl first?

In all fairness, the guy simply said that he didn't know of any worthwhile games for the XM. I think it's a pretty fair statement to make. Even if there are a hundred games being worked on and they're all great, if he doesn't know about any of them then that's that. If this is considered an insulting remark, then we should all simply stop posting on forums out of fear of stepping on toes.

I'm saying all this having already placed my XM pre-order and having gone on record that, in my humble opinion, if you're a 7800 enthusiast and can afford to do so, then you should purchase an XM as a show of support for the community and quite frankly as a sign of faith that games taking advantage of the hardware will come. The situation has a chicken or the egg type of dynamic (purchasers not buying XM b/c no games and homebrewers not making XM games because no install base) that we should try to prevent.

• Like 5

Hey everyone this is a story that will make you surprised. I was packing to get ready to go to the mountains, well i decided to take a break and play my 7800. I was in a intense game of food fight when my mother was nagging me to continue packing :x. So i paused the game and continued to pack and then left for the mountains. It wasn't i was half way home(coming back from the trip) that i realized that i had left it on =o. the second i got to my house ran to my room and discovered that there was no damage at all and the system works perfectly :D. but that is the last time i forget to do that.

These things were designed to be left on. People running BBSs on their old 8-bit computers would leave them running for weeks and months at a time. I've seen old arcade games that have been running 24/7 for YEARS. There is absolutely nothing surprising nor amazing about your story.

Edited by ZylonBane

These things were designed to be left on. People running BBSs on their old 8-bit computers would leave them running for weeks and months at a time. I've seen old arcade games that have been running 24/7 for YEARS. There is absolutely nothing surprising nor amazing about your story.

Yeah, depending on whose theory you subscribe to, you should be leaving all of your computers on all of the time. As they heat up and cool down, things expand and contract. All that expansion and contraction over the years can cause your stuff to break down. Personally, I don't leave my game consoles on all the time, but I do leave my PCs on all the time.

Back in the early 90s, I have had my 7800 freeze on me because I left it on the track selection screen too long, though. At least, I think that was the reason.

Yeah, depending on whose theory you subscribe to, you should be leaving all of your computers on all of the time. As they heat up and cool down, things expand and contract. All that expansion and contraction over the years can cause your stuff to break down. Personally, I don't leave my game consoles on all the time, but I do leave my PCs on all the time.

Back in the early 90s, I have had my 7800 freeze on me because I left it on the track selection screen too long, though. At least, I think that was the reason.

My PC is on almost 99% of the time, it will be left on for weeks at a time. I don't feel guilty because it's being used most of the time (as a Pandora/iTunes box at least). It's basically a laptop inside a tiny case (Dell Zino) -- laptop low wattage CPU, mostly passive cooling. I think it only uses 70 watts total. So it's just like leaving one single light on.

Yeah, it would probably reduce the life of some components, but that's sort of the same thing as using the machines more often in general or using a warmer ambient environment. (humidity is another issue) Or possibly the power supply. (especially if it was allowed to get really hot -poorly ventilated/closed quarters)

It's not until mechanical drives with moving parts (that are in continuous use), fans, heat sinks and very fast/high dissipation chips/components, etc, and build quality always plays a role too.

Yeah, but the parts that expand and contract will be far less significant on older machines that don't get very hot relatively speaking... especially if the expansion/contraction is mainly internal (on the silicon die) and not stressing traces/solder to the point of fatigue (physical stress/wear may be worse for those anyway).

Continuous heat as well as current flow from being left on (more so in hot environments) could cause some components to wear out sooner, like electrolytic capacitors and possibly the PSU (especially caps in the PSU) be it drying out out leaking, electrolytic caps are the first to go from normal wear and age on most consoles prior to optical/magnetic drives. (still more common problems on some disk/disc based platforms too)

Then there's things like overheating voltage regulators (the hottest part of most older systems), especially if your mains voltage is a bit above average and if the voltage regulator is poorly attached to a heat sink. (-some old Sega consoles often have poorly applied thermal paste -and cheap ceramic paste at that- though it's usually not a huge problem in practical use)

But leaving a console on is among the least of things to seriously worry about... most were designed to be left on for extended periods and some even were designed for hot swapping games so you wouldn't ever need to turn it off. (the 5200 allowed that, I think the N64 may have too)

Much more dangerous things would be physical damage/dropping/falling/etc, power surges, use of the wrong power supply (especially AC vs DC and reversed polarity -the latter is far worse and I had some of the main chips in a VCS explode due to that -at least one of the chips, I think RIOT but maybe TIA, liternally had the pachaging ruptured on top of the die after being exposed to reversed polarity from an improperly set universal adapter -blew the voltage reg too, but the rest of the board was fine... but the chipset was dead or mostly dead -never got around to testing each individually and I think they may have gotten thrown out or at least lost)

I know some people have used NES (AC) power supplies on a Sega Genesis without killing it, and soemtimes with usable results. (obviously a bad idea and usually with buzzing issues when running a game)

Edited by kool kitty89

In all fairness, the guy simply said that he didn't know of any worthwhile games for the XM. I think it's a pretty fair statement to make. Even if there are a hundred games being worked on and they're all great, if he doesn't know about any of them then that's that. If this is considered an insulting remark, then we should all simply stop posting on forums out of fear of stepping on toes.

I'm saying all this having already placed my XM pre-order and having gone on record that, in my humble opinion, if you're a 7800 enthusiast and can afford to do so, then you should purchase an XM as a show of support for the community and quite frankly as a sign of faith that games taking advantage of the hardware will come. The situation has a chicken or the egg type of dynamic (purchasers not buying XM b/c no games and homebrewers not making XM games because no install base) that we should try to prevent.

Hit the nail right on the head. I didn't know games were being developed for it right now, let alone over 100 of them. Could somebody direct me to a list? Or a thread about what the XM will be used for? All I know is there's a 32X-like add-on being made for the 7800, never heard anything about the software support.

I know someone who was playing Galaga on 7800 for like a week straight without dying, kept pausing it and picking it back up the next morning. Then he goes on vacation for the ENTIRE SUMMER and comes back 3 or maybe 4 mos later and the 7800 is still paused. Unpauses it and continues playing for another 2 weeks. Is that crazy or WHAT? :!: :!: :!:

share your atari 7800 stories

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats great! Try that with a PS3.