IGNORED

mario bros misprinted label

buttonsmasher90

Hi I am new to this website and I think it is great. I bought my 7800 a few months ago at a classic video game store for 40 beans. it is a huge upgrade from the 2600 that is now collecting dust in the corner. But back to the topic at hand I got myself a copy of mario bros and realized the other day that the front label is upside down and the top label is backwards. The cart is in good overall condition is this worth anything?

But in any event, welcome to the 7800 club! A lot of good stuff to discover, and a lot of things happening between homebrew and even with new Hardware (release of the new expansion module from Legacy Engineering should happen in January). The homebrew efforts may not be as extensive as the 2600, but they've really been ramping up as of late, and are sure to increase even more with the XM coming out.

Nope. Stuff like that happened all the time in Atari's later years when quality control was almost non-existent. It's not worth any more or less because of the upside down label.

Tempest

I would have thought it would have happened a bit more often in Atari Corp's early years than later on (unless you're talking post 1989) as the biggest mess was early-on... albeit by the time the 7800 was launched, most of the management hickups had been resolved anyway, so maybe late would make more sense too.

Unless you meant Atari Corp in general... and that's another issue entirely. ;) (note, of course, that Atari Corp was a totally different company than Atari Inc -or Atari Games Corp for that matter- and was in fact just a new name for Trammel Technologies LTD after they'd acquired Atari Inc's former consumer properties and licenses during Warner's liquidation of Atari Inc)

I've checked a few of the upside down label 7800 games and they invariably have PROM chips in them instead of ROM chips. Doesn't affect the value any but mildly interesting anyway.

Mitch

Interesting. So it sounds like the upside-down labels were put on that way in the same production batch, ie it wasn't just random error. I guess the use of PROMs implies they were early carts.

Nope. Stuff like that happened all the time in Atari's later years when quality control was almost non-existent. It's not worth any more or less because of the upside down label.

Tempest

Now if this was NintendoAge, you'd get a ton of collector's high fiving buttonsmasher for finding such a rare variant. :roll:

Tempest

Now if this was NintendoAge, you'd get a ton of collector's high fiving buttonsmasher for finding such a rare variant. :roll:

Very few 7800 fans collect minor label variations let alone upside labels. The other problem is that a "fake" could be created with a hair dryer and a little patience.

Mitch

• 2 weeks later...

I recently obtained a 7800 Realsports Baseball with an upside down label as well as "Baseball" in black on the label. Only bought it because it was $1 and mildly interesting to me. You occasionally see Mario Bros. carts on ebay with upside down labels priced for stupid amounts like they are some kind of collector's grail.