IGNORED

Sega Nomad LCD screen

Hiya. Anyone know what kind of screen is in a Sega Nomad? I found the Nomad at a thrift, but the screen is shattered. I don't want to buy a whole other Nomad on Ebay for big bucks- everything works on this one except the screen.

Sega-parts.com doesn't stock the screen anymore, and didn't even know what the replacement's specs are. I appreciate any help out there! Thanks!

No, that's just the clear plastic cover for the LCD screen that I'm talking about. Weird how there are always a lot of those clear plastic screens on Ebay for the Nomad, and almost never any for the classic Game Boy.

The thing I'm looking for is the actual backlit display. I don't think that I'm going to find one on its own, I think that I'll have to pull it out of another Nomad that has something wrong with it. By the time that happens, I'll bet that I dig up another Nomad at a thrift store!

Thanks for your zippy reply. :)

• 6 years later...

Ummmm... hooray necro-post.

The original poster just needed the screen cover plate, which are still available if you search around. There's someone with a video game store who regularly puts singles and 10-packs up on ebay, or at least did a couple of years ago.

If your actual LCD display is broken, it's probably not worth the trouble of repairing it.

The original poster just needed the screen cover plate, which are still available if you search around. There's someone with a video game store who regularly puts singles and 10-packs up on ebay, or at least did a couple of years ago.

If your actual LCD display is broken, it's probably not worth the trouble of repairing it.

Actually, when taking the time to read the thread, you'll find the original poster was looking for the LCD...

Thank you for the opinion no one asked you for.

1- You're wrong.

He specifically asked for and LCD screen, not a protector plate.

2- I posted the info because I thought someone else might find the information useful.

Please don't reply to anything I post again.

I'm here to make friends and be helpful, not be criticized by jackasses.

K Thanks.

I think the Nomad screen is a fairly standard resolution, I could be wrong, but I don't see why not a LCD TV being a replaceable part (if not easily, it's just a genesis, no reason not to replace it with a more uptodate LCD tv of similar size, and you'd probably get better battery life too :P )

I could be wrong though (and probably am, about the standard resolution) but see no reason not to put in a portable TV into the thing...

I think the Nomad screen is a fairly standard resolution, I could be wrong, but I don't see why not a LCD TV being a replaceable part (if not easily, it's just a genesis, no reason not to replace it with a more uptodate LCD tv of similar size, and you'd probably get better battery life too :P )

I could be wrong though (and probably am, about the standard resolution) but see no reason not to put in a portable TV into the thing...

That's not how LCD's in handhelds work. Having never been in a a nomad, I can't say for sure, but they are connected to horizontal lines, and vertical lines. Each little line on the screen is a connector on the LCD that goes somewhere in the console. Gameboy's use a proprietary chip in between, so there's no way to change those out, and I'm sure the nomad has a similar chip in clas to encode and whatnot.

That's not how LCD's in handhelds work. Having never been in a a nomad, I can't say for sure, but they are connected to horizontal lines, and vertical lines. Each little line on the screen is a connector on the LCD that goes somewhere in the console. Gameboy's use a proprietary chip in between, so there's no way to change those out, and I'm sure the nomad has a similar chip in clas to encode and whatnot.

The turbografix used standard video signals to interface with the lcd. I had a broken one but did get a picture when connecting the wires from the lcd to a crt television.

Just wanted to mention that Nomads are extremely valuable. It WOULD be worth his time and money to replace the screen on it.

Just wanted to mention that Nomads are extremely valuable. It WOULD be worth his time and money to replace the screen on it.

Uh, no? Just looking on ebay at like, four auctions, there's quite a few hanging around $50. That's not even close to what I would call extremely valuable.

Uh, no? Just looking on ebay at like, four auctions, there's quite a few hanging around $50. That's not even close to what I would call extremely valuable.

The real action in an auction happens at the last minutes. Here's a boxed on that went for $408: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=300354814291

Typically, though, I loose one goes for around $70 or $80 including shipping.

The real action in an auction happens at the last minutes. Here's a boxed on that went for $408: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=300354814291

Typically, though, I loose one goes for around $70 or $80 including shipping.

Not to mention, if you paid for an OEM part, how much would it cost? It's notlike youcan buy the screen for $10 or something (if so, it definately would be worth it, but for $50....no)