IGNORED

My Atari 7800 is still standing after all these years

jd_1138

I'm still using the Atari 7800 that I got as a birthday gift in 1988 without any problems. I did recently replace the aluminum bezel on the system with a NOS one and I've got it looking like a brand new deck. In retrospect, I probably should've left the original bezel on as it had all the battle scars from my childhood on it, but too late to undo it :).

I'm still using the Atari 7800 that I got as a birthday gift in 1988 without any problems. I did recently replace the aluminum bezel on the system with a NOS one and I've got it looking like a brand new deck. In retrospect, I probably should've left the original bezel on as it had all the battle scars from my childhood on it, but too late to undo it :).

Where did you find the bezel? I'm pretty sure I saw them somewhere, but I can't find them again.

Where did you find the bezel? I'm pretty sure I saw them somewhere, but I can't find them again.

I'm actually curious as well, it would be nice to replace my scratched bezel.

I'm actually curious as well, it would be nice to replace my scratched bezel.

Mine has a dent in it that it got when we were moving years ago :(

I think best electronics have them. Maybe not listed on his website so send an email to Brad. Funny I was just thinking about this tonight before logging on

A word of caution, however:

Although I know Best is a known good resource for Atari stuff, I ordered one of their 7800 replacement bezels about 6-months ago, and specifically asked them to make sure they took the necessary precautions to avoid it getting bent. I explained that I was replacing a dented original, and suggested they ship it in a box. I think I paid about $15 + shipping

It came in an envelope, taped to a piece of cardboard, and naturally, it was bent. :x :?

I didn't attempt to contact them, and just let it go (my fault... :thumbsdown: ).

Also, I assume the only ones they have are the later NTSC ones, as the rainbow was the newer style and not the earlier 1984 version (there is a difference- look very carefully at the color sequence of the rainbow).

Just FYI... CAVEAT EMPTOR

Yeah, I got my bezel from Best Electronics as well. It's a fairly easy install, though you might have to press down on some edges with a blunt edge to ensure proper fitment.

Thanks everyone for this thread!

I just ordered two bezels from Best! My main unit actually had the plastic on it when I bought it, but it had been dented previously. My other 7800 is pretty banged up and this will make it look brand-spankin' new!

Heh. I also ordered the Tempest 2000 soundtrack he has on his site.

does your 7800 have legs GPS, must do if it's still standing

lol. I said "still standing" because I originally had the Elton John song "Still Standing" playing in the background of the video. I removed it to avoid copyright violations. I don't know if it would be a violation though, because YouTube recognizes songs in videos you post, and then they post a link down below so people can buy the song off of itunes or Amazon. They may make it OK to post copyrighted songs.

Edited by gps_trekker