IGNORED

ports

BTW just wondering what others think? I have a ps1 and a cd full of clasic games forget what is was called. And I have a namco meuseum for gamecube. A 1 thing like a joystick but 4 games builtin and plugs into tv. But flashback and all the ports I've seen seem to be 2600 games. Is there any that have 5200 games like jungle hunt (really want to play that). Or was the 5200 just not that popular so no ports of its games ever existed like flashback or what have you. Has anyone spotted any with 5200 games.

The reason I ask is I like frogger but 2600 had horrible graphics and I can't stand it. But 5200 version much better and easier to look at.

Edited by 78265317

i have a really obscenely conspiratorial theory about parker brothers work on the 2600

if you look at a parker brothers game on the 2600 and then on the 5200 you go wow what an upgrade this is amazing

but if you look at an activision game on the 2600 and then on the 5200 you go meh what did they do add another color or a spiffy new sound

the starpath frogger is the killer app for the supercharger

funny i have never tried out my supercharger in the 2600 adapter in the 5200

that may in fact be the tallest legitimate cart combination only to be seconded by a genesis genie sonic and knuckles and sonic 3 or a snes genie noahs ark 3d and a random cart for the lockout chip

See this is what I mean. This description of atari flashback for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Flashback

List of games 2600 + 7800. But no 5200. Sounds kinda odd no 520 games included.

Just a suggestion, read up about the differences and similarities and "family ties" between the systems (2600/7800 and 5200) and you will have answered your own question (TIA/Maria vs GTIA). ;)

If I remember right, the Flashback 2 is actual circuitry (although much higher integration), not emulation- that is why you can modify it to plug in real cartridges...

BTW welcome to AtariAge. :)

Edited by Tubular Gearhead

As for similarities there were none.

Umm....yeah. :ponder:

Off the top of my head- the 7800 and 5200 both use the same processor- 6502 (the 2600 used a scaled back version 6507).

Depends on your definition of "similar" I guess. Many differences, yes, but they both had similar graphical resolution, just very different ways of producing it. there are many other similarities as well...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes 7800 never played 5200 games. 7800 did not have jungle hunt. And many other exclusive titles only for 5200. If they had an adapter that allowed you to play 5200 games on the 788 would be sweet but they never released the adapter.

Jungle Hunt was on the 2600 though.

The 7800 doesn't have video input on its cartridge port so such an adapter isn't possible.

Yes 7800 never played 5200 games. 7800 did not have jungle hunt. And many other exclusive titles only for 5200. If they had an adapter that allowed you to play 5200 games on the 788 would be sweet but they never released the adapter.

Jungle Hunt was on the 2600 though.

The 7800 doesn't have video input on its cartridge port so such an adapter isn't possible.

Video input is always on the back not on the cartridge slot it self. And yes it is possible. I forget the link but it was never released but it entirely possible.

EDIT:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Freview%2FB000X8C3YU%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ref_%3Ddp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt%26showViewpoints%3D1&tag=atariage&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

One of the reviews says an adapter was made but never released to allow plalying 5200 games on 7800.

I said video input, not output. The 2600 adapters for 5200, Colecovision, Intellivision works by passing the video signal generated in the adapter through the cartridge/expansion port and to the "host system"'s rf modulator. That's why the first generation of Intellivision consoles had to be modified to use the 2600 adapter because the video input pin on the cartridge port wasn't there.

An adapter to play 7800 games on the 5200 was made but never sold. An adapter to play 5200 games on the 7800 isn't possible because you can't pass the video signal on the cartridge port.