IGNORED

A sealed NES Stadium Events is Up for sale again

Rev

that most English speakers would of picked up in a heart beat. icon_razz.gif

it's "Would have" not "would of." Do I get anything for correcting homerwannabee's grammar? Probably not.

But to chime in, if I had that much money, I would probably spend it on an uber-rare 2600 cart. I wonder why there are so many NES collectors now. The 2600 is much more fun to collect for. Does Stadium Events use the pad that you put your feet on?

LOL, I did it again! You should get a rep point. But if you pointed out all my grammar mistakes you would have 10,000 points under that system! :D:cool:

I don't think I read it, but here it is. Stadium Events wasn't a hack or anything, and it wasn't a limited release, or what have you. Bandai was releasing an earlier version of the Power Pad called the Family Fut Fitness Control Mat. Stadium Events and Athletic World were intended to be the first games to use it. When they were first released in conjunction with these two games, you could see the mention of it and a picture on the box, as well as mention on the cartridges as part of an intended series. Nintendo didn't want anyone jumping in on something awesome like that, so they got a hold of the Family Fun and made the Power Pad, then changing those two titles. Athletic World remained the same. Stadium Events became World Class Track Meet. Essentially the same game other than the title screen. Athletic World in its original form is probably much, much harder to find than Stadium Events, but no one gives a shit about it. The collecting phenomenon known as Stadium Events is part rarity, part hype, part losers who don't know what they're doing.

This brings us to a good example of why Wikipedia is stupid, probably my favorite example. I checked and it's still there. Here's a direct quote of stupidity: "An eBay auction of a new, factory-sealed version of the game was sold on February 26, 2010 with a winning bid of $41,300. Making this the highest price ever paid for a video game. The winning bidder never paid for the auction won, however." So, uh, that means it WASN'T the highest price ever paid. Dipshits.

Edited by Stan

Athletic World in its original form is probably much, much harder to find than Stadium Events, but no one gives a shit about it.

the Family Fun Fitness Athletic World isn't too uncommon at all actually. It would make sense that it's far more common than Stadium Events as it was the pack in game for the Family Fun Fitness mat. The people who purchased Stadium Events had to first purchase the FFF Mat, enjoy Athletic World an awful lot, then pursue another track and field game to play with the mat in a matter of a few short months that Stadium Events was still being sold. Either that, or purchased them both simultaneously, which isn't an unreasonable thing to do either.

CIB, FFF Athletic World is a very uncommon game that sells in the realm of $400 (it did at one point at least, I haven't followed it in a while), and is a 9 for rarity in the NA database. Not easy to find at all, but certainly not harder than Stadium Events CIB.

re: the story surrounding the recent stadium events (and how the person concerned came to be in possession of this item)

I think it is quite possible that that scenario could have played out, after all, people seem to forget that tanman's air raid (boxed) had been sitting in a garage (or was it an attic/loft) for god knows how many years

After all, the person who sold the stadium events game to the person who presently owns it, obviously didn't know/understand the value of what they have (or had) and probably just wanted to get shot of their nintendo games

Edited by carmel_andrews

This brings us to a good example of why Wikipedia is stupid, probably my favorite example. I checked and it's still there. Here's a direct quote of stupidity: "An eBay auction of a new, factory-sealed version of the game was sold on February 26, 2010 with a winning bid of $41,300. Making this the highest price ever paid for a video game. The winning bidder never paid for the auction won, however." So, uh, that means it WASN'T the highest price ever paid. Dipshits.

The seller was a non-collector in dire need of the money. The game was never relisted or publicly offered afterwards. Collectors who contacted the seller after the sale were all ignored.

By stating the transaction was not completed one could wipe out a large bill from eBay for the ending fee on a 40k item.

Details are hard to nail down but it is very likely that a sale was hammered out close to the ending price if not with the high bidder than another collector.

I wonder why there are so many NES collectors now. The 2600 is much more fun to collect for. Does Stadium Events use the pad that you put your feet on?

I believe it is because Nintendo has a connection to the present and owns some of the hottest products and licenses year after year.

Atari is a dead company that lives on today in name only available to the highest bidder.

What if Nintendo bought all available name and character rights and revived them? I wonder how that would affect the secondary market on 2600 games.

Well, I'd argue that one of the reason is that lots of NES players are coming of age and have more money. Then again, one of the reasons I stopped going to a lot of NES forums was the glut of new members that didn't have a clue. I got sick of all the flash-in-the-pan collecting going on, people who seemed to just want to say they owned shit and then dumped it a few years later. All of those guys raise the prices and the hype to the extreme. I remember one guy in particular who sold his collection so he could buy it all again and feel that collection high. What?

Well, I'd argue that one of the reason is that lots of NES players are coming of age and have more money. Then again, one of the reasons I stopped going to a lot of NES forums was the glut of new members that didn't have a clue. I got sick of all the flash-in-the-pan collecting going on, people who seemed to just want to say they owned shit and then dumped it a few years later. All of those guys raise the prices and the hype to the extreme. I remember one guy in particular who sold his collection so he could buy it all again and feel that collection high. What?

The coming of age helps explain the now part but not the why Nintendo part. There is no coming of age Sega genesis party going on right now.

The anniversary DSi/Wii system and All Stars Mario game are sold out around here. Many new Nintendo collectors are just starting out as we speak. Some fizzle out as you said but how many of the 1st generation Atari collectors did the same?

Hmmm, I'd say Atari collecting is now more for true gamers, people that appreciate it as an art, if that makes sense. I suppose Nintendo does have a lot of press and such, plus they have some of the most iconic characters and game franchises of all time, so that draws people in. Stores like Hot Topic that also peddle what are basically refurbished logos from Nintendo Power, etc. also add to this, because then it gets the younger kids into it, and since NES games are usually not that far removed from modern titles, perhaps it has more of a draw.

I wonder why there are so many NES collectors now. The 2600 is much more fun to collect for. Does Stadium Events use the pad that you put your feet on?

I believe it is because Nintendo has a connection to the present and owns some of the hottest products and licenses year after year.

Atari is a dead company that lives on today in name only available to the highest bidder.

What if Nintendo bought all available name and character rights and revived them? I wonder how that would affect the secondary market on 2600 games.

Everything is cyclical. Remember the Air Raid that sold for over $30,000, and a few other auctions that went for big bucks. Also look at some of the more popular games for the Atari 2600 I see them starting to go for $20 a pop boxed like Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Pitfall, and Pitfall II loose recently went for $20.

And I will leave you with the part of subtitle whenever you enter the Atari 2600 forum.

"The Atari 2600 is the system that started it all for Atari, and is by far the most popular classic gaming console"

If Albert says so, it must be true! :P

I remember one guy in particular who sold his collection so he could buy it all again and feel that collection high. What?

And I remember a fantastic comic strip that portrayed that fellow as a rat :) . I know I say this an awful lot, but if you ever have time you really should bring faegly back. Some of us really liked reading the tongue in cheek humor regarding the bizarre habits of game collectors.

the price just went up a little. history in the making?

US $22,409.99

Well, I for one won't bid. I mean, SIX DOLLARS for the shipping? That's just outrageous. ;)

Jeez does this guy think we're made of money?? Its coming from Scranton not Pluto :?

Edited by Itchy Koala