IGNORED

2600 Games on the 7800

farquh

I have a large collection of 2600 games, but my 2600 console isn't doing so well. Certain games play just fine, certain ones take a lot of 'maneuvering' to get the system to read them, etc. Very standard stuff. I think my connectors are the problem.

I am thinking of buying a 7800. I would assume that since it is newer, and hoping that it has proper functioning connector cables, the 7800 will be better to play my 2600 games on?

I must admit, I'm not all that interested in 7800 games in particular, but I wouldn't be opposed to owning some either.

Are there any 7800 games that are expensive and hard to find?

Can anyone tell me if I am correct in assuming that a good 7800 would make for better playability of my existing 2600 game collection?

If you only want to play 2600 games, get a good 2600 (or fix the one you have). In my experience, the 7800 and 2600 Jr models are far less reliable than the previous 2600 models. Moreso the 2600 Jr than the 7800, but still. You don't get much more reliable than the 2600.

Plus, the 7800 won't play a couple 2600 games, though I can't think of which at the moment (Pitfall II maybe?). Oh, and the difficulty switches are far more handily accessed on a normal 2600, especially a 6-switch model.

The system pins are easily cleaned with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol. Clean cartridge contacts with fine grit sandpaper, q-tips, and isopropyl alcohol. If they are carts with the Atari trap door over the pins then just use a jeweler's screwdriver to push in on either release slot to allow you to push the trap door back.

A little cleaning will most likely solve all your problems.