IGNORED

If I supply donor carts

tz101

If I buy one can I use any 9 pin joystick with this like atari 2600 joystics or only digital ones. I ordered a 5200 off ebay and should arrive in a few days so I need to know.

I bought one of the smaller ones and have used Atari 2600 joysticks, Atari 7800 joysticks, Sega Genesis game pads and Sega Master system pads with it and all worked great. I believe all of those are digital controllers (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I don't have any 9 pin analog joysticks to test it with.

If I buy one can I use any 9 pin joystick with this like atari 2600 joystics or only digital ones. I ordered a 5200 off ebay and should arrive in a few days so I need to know.

And what is the difference between the big and the small adapter.

I have the big one left. The smaller one is sold. There is no difference internally it just was a case of what type of project box I had on hand. They both work with any 2600 controller or 3-button Genny controllers. They don't work with 6-button Genny controller and I'm not sure why. Its basically the same circuit as the original 1983 MasterPlay except it supports two buttons on the 3-button Genny controller. It wont work with any 9-pin analog joysticks like apple II or wico, its a digital to analog adapter after all like the original MasterPlay.

Well I made an offer on the wico y adapter on ebay (he had an offer button as well) for 10 dollars and 5.20 shipping and handeling. So I will see if he accepts.

As for the adapter then how do I kbow if my jotstick is digital or not?

And how hard would it be to build a analog to analog adapter 5200 to 9 pin adapter? Or both like have a switch you slide and it is digital and slide it back and it is analog?

Or analog to analog is not possible?

Well I made an offer on the wico y adapter on ebay (he had an offer button as well) for 10 dollars and 5.20 shipping and handeling. So I will see if he accepts.

As for the adapter then how do I kbow if my jotstick is digital or not?

And how hard would it be to build a analog to analog adapter 5200 to 9 pin adapter? Or both like have a switch you slide and it is digital and slide it back and it is analog?

Or analog to analog is not possible?

All the 2600 sticks and Genny pads are digital they have switches inside instead of potentiometers. The adapters I make will work with these except 6-button Genny pads -- they work erratically.

There's a plan in the 5200 FAQ on this website for an adapter to convert PC analog game sticks to work with the 5200 -- its basically just rewiring them to fit the pinout of the 5200 and a couple of capacitors to accommodate the difference in potentiometer values.

If you get your hands on a 5200 Wico stick than all you need to use it is the wico y-cable adapter or a 5200 wico keypad.

The masterplay clones I make only use the wico y-cable to make it easier for me to construct them as I only need commonly available 9-pin connectors. No need for 15-pin cables or plugs to fit the original hardware or a means to hook up an original controller for keypad functions as its built into the wico y-cable. They also work with a 5200 wico keypad by either plugging it in directly or using a 9-pin controller extension cable (recommended) with all 9 wires.

I don't have any wicos. The only 5200 wico on ebay wnet for 56 dollars + shipping so I didn't buy it. And all the rest are 2600 wicos 9 pin. I have another stick forget the name that has 9 pin compatible I'd like to use on my 5200. Wico is too hard to find and so in gim and starcona and all the other third party ones. So I'd like to use that. Just thought it would be nice to have a switch to switch form analog to digital. Anyhow the wico guy is not accepting my offer as of yet and is probably not going to. So that wouldn't work. Be better if maybe an adapter to convert 5200 15pin to 9 pin anmd then the box. Or maybe I should just go with the other blue adapter cable here.

The problem is not all my games are digital. Pacman and I just scored a copy of galaxian off ebay are. But jungle hunt and super breakout ( i have 2 copies) and some others are not digital so that wouldn't help much. Be nice to have switch of some sort so I can use both digital and analog with 1 daapter instead of buying 2 adapters. But anyhow I still need a y cable if I buy your box and can't find then anywhere except for ebay for 25 plus your box so 50 total instead of a simple adapter that can just convert 15 pin to 9 pin without a y cable. Unless I need the y anyway for start pause and reset. But 25 just for a y cable and nothing else seems a little high to me.

Well anyhow I'm getting 3 controllers and a trackball. S I will see what shape every thing is in in a few days when it all arrives and then decide. He is shipping monday today so in a few day I'll see when it all comes.

If the Wico Y cables are near impossible to get at a reasonable price and the 3 controllers from epay are non-functional, then you have a few options:

1. Buy refurbed controllers from Best Electronics for ~$35 a piece.

2. Pay Bohoki for a 5200-PC adapter and pick up a DB15 controller from a thrift or epay.

3. Send the broken controllers to me and I will refurb them for parts cost alone, no labor or time payment involved.

4. Search epay long and hard for a redemption adapter.

5. Buy replacement parts from Best and refurb your controllers yourself.

I'm really surprised with all the people in the forums that are so good at modding and electrical work, no one offers to wire up copies of the wico Y cable. 9 pin parts are easily available.... I guess the 15 is too hard to get a hold of.

Anyway, when you get your controllers, if they don't work, many here seem willing to service them.

Including myself, so you really just need to pick someone. :)

Wow! I received my Master Play clone adapter today from Prodos8 and am highly impressed. My Sega Master System arcade stick worked great on Pole Position and Ms. Pac Man. As expected, Missile Command did not work well with it, but I have a track ball for that anyway.

Thanks, Prodos8!

Wow! I received my Master Play clone adapter today from Prodos8 and am highly impressed. My Sega Master System arcade stick worked great on Pole Position and Ms. Pac Man. As expected, Missile Command did not work well with it, but I have a track ball for that anyway.

Thanks, Prodos8!

You're very welcome! I only strive to build the best not second rate.