IGNORED

Alltronics Order - Intellivion RF Modulator / Other Parts?

chris36

I have an INTV 1 with new cuttle cart 3. The problem is crappy video output (i.e. vertical jitter in picture with occasional roll of the picture, all are very noisy with some games being much worse). The connection is through a high quality, shielded composite cable going from the INTV to a RCA to F-type connector to coax input on LCD TV. I don't get the vertical rolling issue with an old 13 inch tube TV but still noisy. Anyway, I'm looking at doing the RF modulator replacement project to improve video quality.

Alltronics is the only source I can find for the replacement part. They have a minimum $20.00 order and the part is $2.95. I could buy 7 of them and offer the others up for individual sale (here or ebay or something). However, if anyone has any parts requests that they been putting off due to minimum order issues, then send a quick reply here and PM me details by Friday, 7/21. That would help me by reducing the number of modulators I'd have to buy.

Conversely, if anyone has a pending order to Alltronics that I could piggy back on, let me know that too.

Thanks,

Chris

One thing that you wrote sticks out to me as a possible source of the noise: You're apparently sending RF signal on a cable made for Composite Video. I'm not sure whether that really makes any difference, but there may be a shielding quality or impedance matching issue. Try using a real RF cable.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

One thing that you wrote sticks out to me as a possible source of the noise: You're apparently sending RF signal on a cable made for Composite Video. I'm not sure whether that really makes any difference, but there may be a shielding quality or impedance matching issue. Try using a real RF cable.

That's a good thought. But the FAQ over at Intellivision Lives states that the console to switch/TV cable can be replaced with regular RCA to RCA video cable. The original (I assume to be original) was a thinner black cable with RCA on each end and was long enough to run across a large room. When I switched this for a much shorter and shielded video cable the picture improved from unplayable to playable. The residual noise seems to change from games screen to game screen and with changes in sound. From what I've read, this usually indicates a bad RF modulator.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by chris36

Do you not want to mod it for actual composite output?

I ordered all the parts to do the mod, just haven't gotten to it yet...

I've thought about it. But I think this go around, I'd like to keep this console as close to original as possible. It appears someone took a lot of effort to clean it up and make it shine. If I come across another one, I might give the composite output mod a try. I'm still studying them. Which mod are you doing?

Regards,

Chris

Do you not want to mod it for actual composite output?

I ordered all the parts to do the mod, just haven't gotten to it yet...

I've thought about it. But I think this go around, I'd like to keep this console as close to original as possible. It appears someone took a lot of effort to clean it up and make it shine. If I come across another one, I might give the composite output mod a try. I'm still studying them. Which mod are you doing?

Regards,

Chris

Like I said, I haven't tried it yet, but I think its the BenHeck mod. If it doesn't work that great then i'll look for a different one.

Have you tried a piece of coaxial cable with RCA ends? I had a dramatic difference with it, as mine was double shielded. One had lots of static and the other had almost none.

I'll give it a shot. But first, I need to stop by the Shack and get another RCA to F-connector adapter.

--Chris

Try using a real RF cable.

Have you tried a piece of coaxial cable with RCA ends?

Well I tried it. The picture looks perfect. Thanks to AJ Franzman for the initial suggestion and to nathanallan for twisting my arm. I suppose since no takers on an Alltronics group order, I'll table this idea for now. For those keeping track, the picture still jitters in the vertical direction on the Vizio LCD in either Cable or Antenna settings. The TV does have both analog and digital tuners. I've read in other threads that digital tuners may be a common thread to stable pictures on some of these consoles. The picture is solid on the old tube color TV.

Regards,

Chris