IGNORED

Crownland for Atari 7800?

Atari_Falcon

Wow, that looks great! Perhaps a new XM title???

I'd second that, AFAIK the XE version of crownland needs 128 K RAM. Maybe with some tricks it is possible on a stock 7800, too...

Btw the video is just the "demo" version, the full version has a little stripped down graphics (at least framerate), but it's available and finally a decent "Mario" on Atari... a 7800 version would rock... I will try to find out who wrote it (ABBUC software contest), maybe he is willing to write a port or at least spreading the sources.

I will try to find out who wrote it (ABBUC software contest), maybe he is willing to write a port or at least spreading the sources.

Porting from the strengths of of the A8 to the strengths of the 7800 is not going to be an easy task. For example, when I adapted Tempest from the BBC micro to the 7800 it needed a linear frame buffer (the 7800 doesn't have one) and all the Beeb OS calls needed replacing (line drawing, keyboard input etc.). That came after reverse engineering (from a disk image), getting past its "unpacking" stages and then finding and working around the self modifying code as well as converting the code to execute on a ROM/RAM machine instead of a pure RAM machine. Even now there are still some severe bugs remaining in the game that need to be tracked down and fixed.

First and foremost to progress with the A8 port you'd need to find a programmer to champion the 7800 cause. I'm sad to say that without a programmer the project is pretty much dead in the water in my opinion.

First and foremost to progress with the A8 port you'd need to find a programmer to champion the 7800 cause. I'm sad to say that without a programmer the project is pretty much dead in the water in my opinion.

When you say 'champion the 7800 cause', do you mean a programmer to do all the things you mentioned regarding your work on Tempest? Or something 'more' than that (i.e. big picture A8/7800 toolkits, etc.)?

When you say 'champion the 7800 cause', do you mean a programmer to do all the things you mentioned regarding your work on Tempest? Or something 'more' than that (i.e. big picture A8/7800 toolkits, etc.)?

Any programmer ;). Crownland is most definitely playing to the strengths of the A8. Its hard enough if its an "over the wall" port. By that I mean its a "here's the source code go off on your merry way and no support from me" deal. You might also have to factor in that the comments are in a different language (if there are any) and also the architectural differences between the machines. Reading books and data sheets will get you so far in understanding the code (if you aren't already familiar) but you also have to understand the techniques and principles of what makes a game work on the insides e.g. being able to spot sprite multiplexers (in the case of the A8), sprite bounding box checks etc.

To be honest, in my mind, a better approach would be to code the game's style from scratch. If you are going to take the 7800 to the next level in platformers you want to have done it off your own back and not a port. Just my 2p ;).

• Like 1

Wow, that looks great! Perhaps a new XM title???

I'd second that, AFAIK the XE version of crownland needs 128 K RAM. Maybe with some tricks it is possible on a stock 7800, too...

Btw the video is just the "demo" version, the full version has a little stripped down graphics (at least framerate), but it's available and finally a decent "Mario" on Atari... a 7800 version would rock... I will try to find out who wrote it (ABBUC software contest), maybe he is willing to write a port or at least spreading the sources.

That's only because it's a disk game iirc, it could have been done with much less RAM with a cartridge, though I'm not sure just how much work RAM is needed and how much is just program/data memory. (depending on what's actually being done -especially bitmap mode stuff using full framebuffers- it might be possible on the 5200/16k 400/600XL and 128k ROM, with more heavy use of framebuffer stuff it might need 32k or more -7800 would be a different set of tradeoffs entirely and MARIA should have a lot more options -but also not facilitate a simple port as such)

I don't know much on the specifics for Crownland, but I'm sure others around here do. ;)