IGNORED

Halloween Prototype 1 & 2 Videos

clarkus

These are quick and dirty, no doubt (please forgive the banter), but hopefully they give a sense of the differences that exist between the code on these carts and the released version.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2207683030151?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=220768303015&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssbz9sbJJAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebx271epwtU

Cool thanks for sharing.

Halloween was my most wanted Atari cart back in the early 80's. I saw ads for it in the back of Fangoria.

Unfortunately I never played it, or even saw it in action until probably the late 90's when I paid $80 for a loose copy.

Interesting.

The prototype in the first video seems to be a late beta. Some bugs (as was demonstrated in the video), but scoring is (mostly) functional and overall it's quite similar to the completed released version.

The second one is a much earlier version, and it's obvious that the designers were still experimenting with the gameplay. There's no knife, but there are those flowerpots which were later removed (and which seem to have no function in this proto). There is no scoring and the music is much slower, as you mentioned. The music also seems to play continuously, whether or not the killer is on the screen. And of course, there are the obvious differences indicative of an early WIP (graphical glitches when trying to pick up the flowerpot, you don't actually die when the killer cuts off your head, some exits don't work, etc).

Interesting.

The prototype in the first video seems to be a late beta. Some bugs (as was demonstrated in the video), but scoring is (mostly) functional and overall it's quite similar to the completed released version.

The second one is a much earlier version, and it's obvious that the designers were still experimenting with the gameplay. There's no knife, but there are those flowerpots which were later removed (and which seem to have no function in this proto). There is no scoring and the music is much slower, as you mentioned. The music also seems to play continuously, whether or not the killer is on the screen. And of course, there are the obvious differences indicative of an early WIP (graphical glitches when trying to pick up the flowerpot, you don't actually die when the killer cuts off your head, some exits don't work, etc).

Ditto.....great summary PingvinBlueJeans.

Neat stuff! It's odd that the later version appears to have bugs in it that the earlier version doesn't. I like the Halloween logo in the earlier prototype, I wonder why they ditched that?

What's the deal with the flower pots? Did she ever attack Michael with a flower pot in the movie (it's been so long since I've seen it)? It seems to be replacing the scissors as a weapon.

Tempest

What's the deal with the flower pots? Did she ever attack Michael with a flower pot in the movie (it's been so long since I've seen it)?

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't remember without watching it again. The only incident I can recall is the scene where Michael is outside on the porch looking in (while Annie is in the kitchen changing her shirt) and he knocks over a hanging pot outside the door and it breaks. I don't recall him ever being hit by one.

Only thing I could find is this continuity error:

Continuity: In the scene where Laurie walks across the street to check on her friends, the porch of the Doyle house has nothing on it. When Laurie runs back across the street and starts pounding on the door she picks up a flower pot off the porch to throw at the window.

Maybe she was going to throw flower pots to scare him off? No clue.

Tempest

• 2 months later...

Cause you're not susposed to list things like protoypes on Ebay. Being on AA had nothing to do with it. I've seen several prototypes that never were mentioned here get yanked.

I warned the seller in his other thread also that this was probaly going to happen and he was best off either listing it on GameGravel or just selling it to Wonder, cause, well, we know he's going to win it anyway. :D

Yeah they yanked the posting, even though they told me on the phone it would be okay. I wouldn't be surprised if someone here dropped eBay a line letting them know (competition isnt so goodfor prices is it) ;)

I like the idea of posting them individually on the market place. That way there will be a transparent, fair auction. Is it against Atari Age's policy to use that part of the forum to auction games?

Yeah they yanked the posting, even though they told me on the phone it would be okay. I wouldn't be surprised if someone here dropped eBay a line letting them know (competition isnt so goodfor prices is it) ;)

I like the idea of posting them individually on the market place. That way there will be a transparent, fair auction. Is it against Atari Age's policy to use that part of the forum to auction games?

No, it's fine, people do it all the time. :)

There is a 100% chance that an interested party tattled. Not me, of course. It would be in my interest to see them go to auction because I could get them for less, potentially, or they could get astronomical. You never know.

There is a 100% chance that an interested party tattled. Not me, of course. It would be in my interest to see them go to auction because I could get them for less, potentially, or they could get astronomical. You never know.

Totally agree.....I always pay more when I privately deal with somebody than ebay...comparing like rarities I have obtained in the past, etc. (I especially pay less when people know I am after something). I did privately offer something to Clarkus just in case he was going to go through that route but he chose ebay which I actually which would have come to fruition.....oh well....let's see what happens now. This reminds me so much of other protos I have acquired in the past. Awaiting instructions for the next step.

My suggestion is just sell it here in the forums. Most of the Atari 2600 big shots hang out here anyway and will make you a good offer. You could cross post over on DP to reach those few who don't hang on on AA much. This is how I sold all my 2600 protos.

Tempest

My suggestion is just sell it here in the forums. Most of the Atari 2600 big shots hang out here anyway and will make you a good offer. You could cross post over on DP to reach those few who don't hang on on AA much. This is how I sold all my 2600 protos.

Tempest

Who bought all of your 2600 protos????

EDIT: Dude, that was me....how could I forget that.... :)

Hmmm... I'm gonna maybe have to rethink a few things. The snitch that shutdown my eBay listing was almost certainly someone from this forum - some here even admit as much. That's not cool (and that's me being very, very understated). That Halloween proto was up to $350 with 8.5 days left out of a 10 day auction. Even if the bidding were to have been linear (and we all know it isn't even close to linear, most bidding takes place near the end of the auction), that puts the final selling price at about $2300.

So, does the person who tattled have the balls to come forward?

Unless you work at Ebay there is no way to know who reported the auction. I would guess that it was not a collector but a videogame reseller who only knows enough to be dangerous. He saw your auction and it looked like a bootleg to him so he felt the need to report it because if he can't break the rules then no one can. It is possible someone here did it but this happens EVERY TIME so I think it is a couple of video game sellers with nothing better to do.