IGNORED

Defective Atari 7800 - just left button of joypad working

Atari_Falcon

Hello,

today I finally got (again) an (PAL) Atari 7800... Unfortunately it does not work well... That means, just the left Fire button works, so no hyperspace jump in Astertoids, no kicking in Double Dragon. The controller is 100% okay and I tried for both players... same problem...

Does anyone have a solution for me?

Best regards,

Chris

These are stock controllers cx78. They work 100%!

I try to describe the problem again:

I insert Double Dragon and start a two player game. I already cannot skip title menu with right button (2), only the left (1) will work. In the game it is supposed to punch by pressing (1) and a kick should be performed by pushing (2). But neither player one, nor player two can do so. Pressing (1) will let them kick, but pressing (2) simply has no effect at all.

When I insert any Atari 2600 game button (2) works just like button (1).

So in my opinion physically there must be a connection and the 7800 just misinterprets the push. Or is there a ground connection which might be broken?

I looked at the board and it looks okay so far, but there is something lose in the rf-output box. It looks at is had been bad solderred one day. But I don't think this effects the reading of joystick inputs...

Any ideas? I would be really happy to get that baby back working!

The signal for the buttons in 2-button games is on different pins than it is in 2600/1-button mode. The fact that both buttons work on 2600 games means that the buttons physically work, but there may be a bad connection on a pin specific to 2-button mode.

You mention having the problem on both players. Do you mean the same controller has the same problem on both ports, or do you mean you have the same problem with 2 separate controllers?

Edited by gdement

I found the error, fixed it, but now it is worse at some point:

I exchanged the player one joystick port as I thought this is the only possible solution. I took one from an old Atari 2600 (and put the 7800 ones in there as it worked for 2600 games). Now it works perfect again, but when I have the machine run for some minutes my joypad will always steer to the left :( VERY anoying, seems I will have to resolder again, what really is NO fun. These machines were not built for repair... :(