IGNORED

Any way to get component or RGB level image quality from Atari 2600 carts?

theclaw

I don't see much info on the subject, perhaps because the system is most prevalent in America where almost no one's TV set is RGB equipped. And even then many won't accept low-res over component either. I'm not familiar with how 2600 draws its graphics. IIRC it takes a pretty complicated hack to tap even composite. Let alone svideo. I dare think what monstrosity may be needed for better than that... Eek.

I'm not saying necessarily original hardware though. A 7800 or something else generally compatible would be interesting in its own way.

Edited by theclaw

Those French consoles may have a SCART plug, but the output is not RGB unless someone put a Y/C to RGB converter inside there. NTSC and PAL TIA ICs (which are also used in SECAM consoles) produce Luma + Chroma output only.

A Sony V7021 is mounted on a sub board inside. It generates the RGB.

OK, so still an after-the-fact conversion. The output may be RGB, but the image quality is no better than S-video.

maybe so, but after trying many different s-video conversions on 7800's and 2600's this is far far superior. The picture quality is pin sharp, no overdriven colour, no vertical banding, no colour bleed etc etc

Wait a second... I forgot my external HDMI scaler has s-video input! I dunno quite how that'd turn out, but no matter what it will crush anything RF could ever hope.

Especially on my large LCD for the most blatant of reasons: it's a model without RF input (not kidding). lol.

OK, so still an after-the-fact conversion. The output may be RGB, but the image quality is no better than S-video.

maybe so, but after trying many different s-video conversions on 7800's and 2600's this is far far superior. The picture quality is pin sharp, no overdriven colour, no vertical banding, no colour bleed etc etc

I will agree with that, the RGB output is incredibly sharp and looks better than any AV mod that I have seen.

Mitch

Has anyone been able to figure out the RGB encoder board on the French 7800? If someone out there made an RGB board based on the one used in the French 7800, I'd be all over it!

Its done by a Sony V7021. I'm pretty sure they are obsolete by now and therefore hard/expensive to get hold of.

Has anyone been able to figure out the RGB encoder board on the French 7800? If someone out there made an RGB board based on the one used in the French 7800, I'd be all over it!

Its done by a Sony V7021. I'm pretty sure they are obsolete by now and therefore hard/expensive to get hold of.

Could you substitute it with something more common like a CXA1645, with only minor changes to the board?