IGNORED

Atari 7800 with 2600 cables?

Dionysius

Hello,

I am a total newbie in this 'scene' but i bought 3 atari 2600's for a few days. Now i want a 7800 and i've seen one (looks like 2600jr.) but with no paddles/cables. Can i use my 2600 material???(i guess i already have 7800 paddles, those with two buttons?). So i am talking about the adapter and tv cable...???

Greeetings from the Netherlands!

Edited by Dionysius

The 7800 power adapter has a different connector than what's on the end of the 2600 one. If you are into modding you can easily change it. If not, you'll have to find one on ebay.

The video cable should be OK. You might also want to consider getting an AV modification. However, soldering skills are required to install one.

Paddles have a button on each side but its for left/right handed players. The 2600 joysticks will work fine on the 7800's one button games. For two button games you'll need either the Pro-line or Euro d-pads.

Anyways.... Welcome to the world of 7800.

Nope. You have to have a 7800 power supply. The only place I know that does them is Telegames.

AtariGuide also sells an AtariGuide branded one. I bought one from them a few years ago and it has never game me any issues (and seems to hold up better than the original).

One that works in the Netherlands :ponder:

;)

Hmm...i got some universal adapters at home...none of them work on an 7800???

Unfortunately not. The 7800 power connector isn't round its rectangular.

I don't think it's proprietary, just uncommon (sort of like the SNES's coaxial pin plug). I've seen a handful of used AC adapters at thrift stores that look like they might work, but I never bothered to test it.

The other option is to simply hack the 7800 and add a common power port. ;) (be it the 1/8" heaphone jack, common 1/4" plugs like the NES/SMS/genesis, etc -though careful of polarity if you plan to use another console's supply and NES is AC not DC -Sega and jaguar use reverse polarity DC unlike many other devises using that same plug)