IGNORED

Power turns off if cord budges

Mingy Jongo

Hello, I just bought a two-port Atari 5200 at a flea market for five bucks, and it works great, with one small annoyance: if the adaptor plug that goes into the back of the system is moved a little bit, the power goes out. Is there any way to fix this?

Sounds like the power jack connector on the PCB may need to be resoldered. If the joints are cracked it will seem like you're unplugging the power supply whenever its shifted around.

Steve

Also, if the soldering isn't cracked it could be oxidized and dirty in the power jack connector. I remember OldSchoolRetroGamer saying he had a 2 port that didnt work. After he cleaned the power jack connector it worked great for him. I don't know what method he used. I think I would use a very tiny amount of wd-40 and a toothbrush.

Also, if the soldering isn't cracked it could be oxidized and dirty in the power jack connector. I remember OldSchoolRetroGamer saying he had a 2 port that didnt work. After he cleaned the power jack connector it worked great for him. I don't know what method he used. I think I would use a very tiny amount of wd-40 and a toothbrush.

Please do not use WD-40 on electronics.

wd-40 works great. The can says its safe for electronics. I wouldnt spray in the jack. I might put a drop on the toothbrush and clean the jack.

If you dont like the idea of wd-40, use contact cleaner.

Dude, WD-40 is like Jesus in an aerosol can. It's awesome.

Dude, WD-40 is like Jesus in an aerosol can. It's awesome.

Contact/electronics cleaner is better for electronics because it fully evaporates. WD-40 leaves a film and residue which can attract dust (among causing other issues). Use whatever you want though, it's your stuff you're gunking up.

Okay, look, here is just ONE brief discussion on the merits/demerits of using WD-40 on electronics. You can find similar to this 1000 times all over the internet. Does it seem to work? Sure! Does that mean it's appropriate or the best thing to use in most cases? NO!

http://www.electronicspoint.com/safe-use-wd40-switch-potentiometer-cleaner-t13537.html