IGNORED

PCB fabrication services - one off prototype

5-11under

Hi there,

I need a prototype PCB made from a set of Gerber files. Standard 2 layer, ideally with solder mask. Quantity one is really all I need. I'm looking for the cheapest possible solution. PCB size is about 20 sq. in.

I can get 4 from http://www.custompcb.com for $86 total... including shipping, solder mask, and silkscreen. It also looks like they'll accept PayPal in a pinch, which is advantageous.

Anyone found any better deals recently?

Thanks,

5-11under

A group buy might interest you

http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order

I've never tried it but it looks good if you're not in a hurry.

Thanks! Great price for small boards if you want 3... no set-up fee, $5 per sq. in., but you get 3 (so it's like $1.67 per sq. in.), plus $5 or $15 shipping to Canada (free to US).

If I can squeeze the PCB size, these batch deals could be useful.

Who were you using before, for the component boards?

Just looking for cheaper? From all i've read and heard batchpcb is the way to go for one-offs, but you may be in for a wait, especially this time of year since they use gold phoenix of china to get the boards made and its new years there...

Yep, spot on.

A group buy might interest you

http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order

I've never tried it but it looks good if you're not in a hurry.

Excellent! Thanks for the link, i'd never heard of this group order before, but actually looks quicker than batchpcb since they use a US board house and looks like they did like 4 orders last month so not much wait on the front end either!

Who were you using before, for the component boards?

Just looking for cheaper? From all i've read and heard batchpcb is the way to go for one-offs, but you may be in for a wait, especially this time of year since they use gold phoenix of china to get the boards made and its new years there...

For prototypes, I've used APCircuits in the past (more expensive) and Gold Phoenix more recently (for a multi-design panel).

For prototypes, I've used APCircuits in the past (more expensive) and Gold Phoenix more recently (for a multi-design panel).

I've heard Gold Phoenix can be a bit worrysome to use as they don't communicate well, how was your experience?

I've only used them once so far, but had no complaints.

When I was designing my Aquarius SuperCart I cartridge boards last year, I used PCBPool to manufacture my prototypes. I was very happy with the turnaround time and the workmanship, and I also liked the fact that they sent me pictures of the boards in progress so I could track every stage of the manufacturing process. I ordered one set of prototypes with solder mask and silkscreen, and you can see some closeup pictures of those boards here.

I've heard Gold Phoenix can be a bit worrysome to use as they don't communicate well, how was your experience?

I've not had a problem with communication except the language barrier. I've ordered countless thousands of dollars in boards and assembly and Gold Phoenix has always delivered a quality product on-time.

I put in my order with the DorkBot crew last night, i'll end up with just over 30 sq in of boards for just over $50 shipped.

Can't wait to see the results, I guess all their boards are now purple masked, awesome!

Even talked the guy into giving me a couple freebie tssop-24 adapter boards, free!

I guess he does that on a regular basis, but I asked for them specifically and he said he would hook me up!

Looks like the next order will be sent in Feb 7th and should get mailed out by Feb 16th.

• 1 month later...

I forgot to share my experience so far with dorkbot.

Here is a pic of my first set of boards.

They look awesome! A shame to hide them inside a console!

The sop24 boards, lower left, were free!

I did have a couple small problems, but the guy running the show has been above and beyond helpful!

They are considering a medium run order that will be cheaper for 150 sq in and over, like $1.30 ish per sq in!

post-27830-129972042909_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...