IGNORED

Question about the size of TV I would need to read text in HD PS3 games...

ataridave

OK, so I have a PS3 and some of the games have text that, on my 19 inch "tube", I can't even read. I AM satisfied, otherwise, with how good the graphics look on my tube, so I'd really love some suggestions as to the cheapest options, in terms of TVs, that I could hook my PS3 up to. I've looked at 15 inch 720p HDTV's on Best Buy's website-but I don't know if a 15 inch screen would be wide enough to see the text in games like Fallout 3 or Dragon Age: Origins. I mean, the TV wouldn't even need HDMI inputs, as long as I could adequately see numbers and text in any PS3 game.

Suggestions are welcome!

OK, so I have a PS3 and some of the games have text that, on my 19 inch "tube", I can't even read. I AM satisfied, otherwise, with how good the graphics look on my tube, so I'd really love some suggestions as to the cheapest options, in terms of TVs, that I could hook my PS3 up to. I've looked at 15 inch 720p HDTV's on Best Buy's website-but I don't know if a 15 inch screen would be wide enough to see the text in games like Fallout 3 or Dragon Age: Origins. I mean, the TV wouldn't even need HDMI inputs, as long as I could adequately see numbers and text in any PS3 game.

Suggestions are welcome!

EDIT: I have decided to sell this console; please see my marketplace post for details.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, it's the resolution, rather than the size that is important. The old Tube you got is probably 240 lines, while the PS3 is expecting 480 at the least, and depending on the game, probably more on the lines of 720 lines.

As far as what size you need, on SD sets I think the formula was basically 3-1 distance to size of screen, so if you sat 6 feet from the TV, you needed a 24" set, but the distance is closer on the HD sets, more on the lines of 1.5-1, so for that same 6 feet from the set, you'd be looking into a 48" or so set.

If you're happy with SD for now, you might see about getting a Wii, the PS3 and 360 aren't very SD friendly, though there are games for both that aren't going to be affected by SD vs HD to much either way.