IGNORED

Pac-man Collection - Pokey cart or XM only

tep392

72 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer a Pokey cart version or XM?

• Pokey cart - I won't be getting the XM.
    • XM cart - I've ordered or plan to order the XM.
    • Offer both.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

With the XM module release quickly approaching, I would like to get some opinions on the Pokey version of Pac-man Collection. I've made two versions of this code. There is a 32k version for use with a Pokey (Ballblazer) cart. And then there is an XM version that would use a standard 48k cart. This version support both TIA and Pokey sound. It will use Pokey sounds if an XM is detected or use the original TIA sounds if not.

So my question is, with all the people that have pre-ordered the XM, does it make sense to offer a Pokey cart and XM version or should we just do the XM version? What do you see as the pro's/con's of offering both versions? I like the XM version because it doesn't require doner Pokey carts. The obvious con is that it requires the XM module for the enhanced sound effects and some people may not want to buy the XM. I'm not sure what the cost difference, if any would be since I don't have experience producing these. Maybe Al can chime in on the cost implications. I suppose it will come down to demand, which is why I've created the Poll.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Perry

Edited by tep392
  • Like 1

Hey Perry

The Pokey only 32K version will be much harder to make. There are no homebrew boards that support the Pokey Add-On, so Commando and Ballblazer carts are the only option... (That's why I haven't made them yet). I'm not sure if the H2 will support Pokey or not.

Bob

Hey Perry

The Pokey only 32K version will be much harder to make. There are no homebrew boards that support the Pokey Add-On, so Commando and Ballblazer carts are the only option... (That's why I haven't made them yet). I'm not sure if the H2 will support Pokey or not.

Bob

Bob,

That was my concern about the pokey boards. I don't have a feel for the availability of Ballblazer carts or their cost. The Commando carts don't appear to be as common and fetch a high price on e-bay so I didn't think they were an option.

Perry

Personally I'd go for the XM release first and then a limited POKEY cart run afterwards. With so many people on the XM pre-order list the XM will be in any serious 7800 collection. Therefore it makes more sense to me that you hit the largest target audience first. Games that are 48K or less can easily be made on new PCBs without the need for cart PCB recycling. When you start to need POKEY on carts in large quantities and you can't meet demand, people have to send in a donor cart with their order (which can be a hassle from both ends of the transaction).

I think the XM cart would be less expensive to make.

If I buy Pac Man XM and I don't have XM, the game will use TIA so it's not like it would be totally unplayable without an XM. Plus it might encourage me to get the XM.

If you go the pokey on the cart route, my Ballblazer will be more valuable by a fraction of a penny.

Either way, I win. But seriously, XM is the way to go.

Hey Perry

Bob

Bob,

That was my concern about the pokey boards. I don't have a feel for the availability of Ballblazer carts or their cost. The Commando carts don't appear to be as common and fetch a high price on e-bay so I didn't think they were an option.

Perry

You're right - I forgot about the rarity of Commando :( IMHO the XM version makes the most sense - aside from the feasibility of making the carts, the target audience (as GB said) has the majority. Also as toilettunes said, it will still work with TIA and might encourage people to get the XM. :)

Bob

I also voted for the XM. It sounds like Ballblazer is getting rarer and rarer. Presumably, a bunch will be used for the XM too, which will further diminish the supply.

Personally, I'd focus on the XM. Having some exclusive releases will help it out and maybe help it become a little better established. And as a dual boot game, people who don't have the XM can still play it.

I also voted for the XM. It sounds like Ballblazer is getting rarer and rarer. Presumably, a bunch will be used for the XM too, which will further diminish the supply.

Personally, I'd focus on the XM. Having some exclusive releases will help it out and maybe help it become a little better established. And as a dual boot game, people who don't have the XM can still play it.

Does anyone have a count of how many Pokey chips are available to source outside of recycling Ballblazer carts?

So maybe that's an option....the extra work to put the carts together notwithstanding, offer a Pokey-cart version for $10 more. But my opinion would be XM only for the reasons mentioned above (i.e. people without XM can still play until/if they decide to upgrade).

Maybe this should be called the 'Save the Ballblazer Carts' thread!! icon_razz.gif

Almost any POKEY in-cart solution winds up being a premium in parts, labor and is often reflected in the cost; which is a significant reason why many homebrew games that could have, wound up not offering it as an option in the past, unless they offered other perceived - value incentives to offset it. POKEY sound is a definite plus in my book, but having it for many is a luxury, not worth a $15 - 20 premium. Of course, on the XM* , that isn't as much of a problem... :)

I say if you get enough takers, offer both.

*Unit 200 was purchased sometime in the last day. ;)

Edited by AtariNerd

*Unit 200 was purchased sometime in the last day. ;)

Awesome! I would love to see the 7800 XM become the #1 platform for Atari-related homebrews. I hope everyone who bought one is as hungry for XM content as I am. :D

And I say that as someone who has played 2600, 5200, and A8 games far more than any 7800 ones. It just has so much potential now.

Does anyone have a count of how many Pokey chips are available to source outside of recycling Ballblazer carts?

B&C sell them for $10. You could ask them.

Good point. A while back, I came across an aftermarket arcade game business selling arcade parts for refurbishing projects and they too had a stash of Pokey chips.

So maybe that's an option....the extra work to put the carts together notwithstanding, offer a Pokey-cart version for $10 more. But my opinion would be XM only for the reasons mentioned above (i.e. people without XM can still play until/if they decide to upgrade).

Maybe this should be called the 'Save the Ballblazer Carts' thread!! icon_razz.gif

Too funny. But Ballblazer is one of the 7800's best games - IMHO - so every 7800 enthusiast physically collecting it and the games should have a copy. It should be a 1-to-1 statistic.

Too bad the 2600 ET game didn't include a Pokey chip; nobody would cry over the destruction of those carts to get to that chip...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...