IGNORED

Why does my Atari SC1224 smell like burning plastic?

Elerach

Hey,

I have been playing around a bit with my ST quite a bit recently. I was testing out a bunch of disks today, and after maybe 2-3 hours of my monitor being on, i left the room to go get something to drink, and when i came back i noticed a very pungent smell, like burning plastic. I have never noticed this before, and the monitor itself was really not very hot (just a little warm) but the smell was quite strong and lingering.

Is it possible there is a component that needs to be replaced, or should this monitor not be used?

It works perfectly fine for 30-60 minute use, and i have never noticed any problems with the picture or heat output before.

If you have any answers it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I had something very similar happening to my old SM124. In the end the unit gave up the ghost due to a faulty capacitor in the power supply. The capacitor had started leaking and the PS environment heated up the leaked electrolyte so much that it started to smell like the typical "yep, there's soon going to be trouble with a capacitor"-smell. Bottom line: have a quick look at the capacitors of your SC1224's power supply.

Cheers,

T.

Edited by Ato

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Hello everyone,

I have have got the same issue with my Atari SM124. I have opened it up, and it looks almost

perfectly clean from the inside. Could it be that the smell comes from the plastic case? Because

the material is emitting its internal plasticiser? I have got the impression it was smelling less when

the case was removed, which is not an option for operation. Should I give the case a bath?

Thank you in advance!

That happened to me before, I bought the SC122 new and it had that smell.  The manual said to notify the dealer if that happen so I did. He said it happens with all Atari monitors and it'll go away. It did and it worked fine.

I believe it'd just the type of plastic Atari used and it starts to smell when you first warm up the monitor but it does go away.  As long as the caps inside are still good there's no need to worry.

• Like 1