IGNORED

So I just bought a 7800 to play my 2600 Games and...

farquh

I bought it from a video game shop. It was on display and I tried it out (not thinking too clearly, just wanted to have it!!)

Anyway, all 10 games I tested in store worked fine. I buy it. I get home. Of my 108 2600 game collection, all work fine on my new 7800 except 30 of them...

Basically, can anyone tell me how I can get my Pac-Man cart to be more like my Kangaroo cart!

99dhko.jpg

So I didn't notice, but the part that my 7800 should have that allows plastic that protects the connectors to move away is gone!

I don't mind defacing my carts, as they are mine and I'm keeping them, but is there a method to do it without wrecking the cart altogether?

Might you have a picture of what that looks like?

I was thinking about breaking off the bottom parts of the carts since it looks like it has already been done to a number of my games.

I'm sure the Kangaroo cart in the pic once had the black protective plastic that the Pac-Man cart in the pic currently does.

Might you have a picture of what that looks like?

I was thinking about breaking off the bottom parts of the carts since it looks like it has already been done to a number of my games.

I'm sure the Kangaroo cart in the pic once had the black protective plastic that the Pac-Man cart in the pic currently does.

It didn't. Only early picture label and text label carts had the spring loaded shutters, Kangaroo is a silver label so never had one.

You should be able to see just either side of the cart slot where the little plastic bits have broken off, I can't get a photo right now as its night here and the photos whould be hard to see under my crappy lights.

It didn't. Only early picture label and text label carts had the spring loaded shutters, Kangaroo is a silver label so never had one.

That's not entirely true. My Mario Bros, E.T., Joust, and several other silver-label carts have the spring loaded shutter. I have one Centipede that has it, and one does not. My Kangaroo cart does not, however. I'm not sure what the % of shuttered vs non-shuttered silver carts is, or when the break happend, but definitely some silver carts do have that construction. None of my red-label carts have the door though.

• 4 weeks later...

You are better off replacing the cart guide on your 7800. Best Electronics sells new ones.

Mitch

Okay, I contacted Best Electronics. They said they sold out of 7800 cart guides 10 years ago, but that a 2600 cart guide would do the same thing. I asked for a price, and they e-mailed me again to remind me that I would still need to 'cut' or 'modify' the studs on this piece. This confused me - I thought the 'studs' was exactly what I needed, as the plastic 'studs' are what pushes the dust protectors of the 2600 games away to allow the connectors to fit into the 7800.

Best electronics said they would sell me the 2600 cart guide with a 7800 female cart connector. I cannot visualize what they are describing - are these the two pieces that I need? How are the two of them any different than a 7800 cart guide that Best E says they are sold out of? And, won't a 2600 cart guide (which I assume has the 'male' studs) when attached with the 7800 female connector no longer have anything to 'push' the 2600 games dust connectors out of the way?

The guides on the 2600 and 7800 use the same tabs to activate the gate mechanism on cartridges, the 7800 maintaining it for compatibility with 2600 carts mainly. If you only wish to play 2600 games, you're all set. :) If you ever wish to play a 7800 games, the connector on the 7800 boards is a little wider, having a few more pins and won't fit perfectly into the older 2600 connector, unless your trim channels into the sides of the connector to accommodate it. If you ever get some 7800 carts, take one of your 7800 carts out of it's casing and try to slide it into the 2600 guide. It will be pretty obvious where you need to trim. :)

Edited by AtariNerd

The guides on the 2600 and 7800 use the same tabs to activate the gate mechanism on cartridges, the 7800 maintaining it for compatibility with 2600 carts mainly. If you only wish to play 2600 games, you're all set. :) If you ever wish to play a 7800 games, the connector on the 7800 boards is a little wider, having a few more pins and won't fit perfectly into the older 2600 connector, unless your trim channels into the sides of the connector to accommodate it. If you ever get some 7800 carts, take one of your 7800 carts out of it's casing and try to slide it into the 2600 guide. It will be pretty obvious where you need to trim. :)

No, I think I may have gotten that a bit wrong and you may need to trim the channels at any rate due to the nature of the 7800 hardware, I'm sure someone will correct me.:)

Okay, I contacted Best Electronics. They said they sold out of 7800 cart guides 10 years ago, but that a 2600 cart guide would do the same thing.

That's strange since I bought one from them only a year or so ago.

You don't need the female connector, just the cart guide. You can modify a 2600 cart guide but it would be a bit of a pain.

Mitch