IGNORED

e-bay Best Offer?

BigO

You kind of have to put up with Lowball best offers. Best offer is like a Garage Sale. Last year I had an old Digital Camera I wanted to get rid of(4mp Kodak with 4x optical Zoom and a 128mb memory card) and I gave it to my grandparents to sell at their garage sale and it told them Put $15 on it, but I'll take $10. They got dozens of <$5 offers before someone who came back for like the 6th time finally caved and gave them $10 for it.

Back to best offers, I've had several sellers give me counter offers equal to the BIN price. Why would you even bother doing that?

Back to best offers, I've had several sellers give me counter offers equal to the BIN price. Why would you even bother doing that?

At least the seller felt the offer was worthy of acknowledgement.

It actually seems kind of rude to automatically dismiss an offer that's just over 89% of the BIN price when you're the one that set up the sale as "Best Offer".

I'd like to see ebay get rid of the best offer system entirely. Frankly, ebay ought to get rid of Buy-It-Nows and close all the stores too. If you want to sell your crap at a specific price, then go list it on Amazon, or Half, or CL, or here, or start your own site, or whatever. Just get rid of all this crap clogging up the works and get ebay back to being an auction site, like it's supposed to be. Let the free market determine value of these things, like it's supposed to.

• Like 1

the reasons everyone wants to sell on ebay is cus its the most well known and reputable site on the planet, its the easiest place to sell stuff even with the shitty fees. Theres nothing wrong at all with buy it nows and the best offer system. 95% of people who use the system are fine, its just the small percentage of idiots who cant figure it out and think they can get a steal of a deal with LOW lowball best offers. it has made it harder to find good deals on ebay, but oh well thats life. gotta think outside the box these days. with most everyone struggling with money its no surprise people want top dollar for their stuff, most people do this just to survive these days.

Edited by kevincal

$15.99 BIN obo

$10 offer: Automatically & immediately rejected

$12.50: Automatically & immediately rejected

$14.00: Automatically & immediately rejected

I guess he's not really open to offers. Maybe if I'd offered 90% of the BIN price it would have been accepted.

If it were me, I don't think I'd bother with setting up the "best offer" thing.

Sounds very familiar. That is what happened to me a few times. I've learned to reduce BIN prices by percentage not dollar amount to try to get a better deal when there is a Best Offer option. I bet $14.39 would have been accepted (10% off). Doesn't seem like much of a discount to bother with but, in my case, I would've paid the BIN price for the items I made offers on--I just took advantage of the Best Offer option to save a little bit.

$15.99 BIN obo

$10 offer: Automatically & immediately rejected

$12.50: Automatically & immediately rejected

$14.00: Automatically & immediately rejected

I guess he's not really open to offers. Maybe if I'd offered 90% of the BIN price it would have been accepted.

If it were me, I don't think I'd bother with setting up the "best offer" thing.

Sounds very familiar. That is what happened to me a few times. I've learned to reduce BIN prices by percentage not dollar amount to try to get a better deal when there is a Best Offer option. I bet $14.39 would have been accepted (10% off). Doesn't seem like much of a discount to bother with but, in my case, I would've paid the BIN price for the items I made offers on--I just took advantage of the Best Offer option to save a little bit.

I emailed the seller. He explained about the automated rejection and that it was automatically re-listed for a reduced price and that the current BIN isn't much above the minimum acceptable offer price. So, you're probably right about the $14.39. Since I used up my 3 wishes and the listing is for 30 days, I either pay the BIN or wait 30 days hoping nobody else buys it.

BTW - the seller seems very professional and decent about answering my newbie-ish question; not at all antagonistic or unpleasant. The one thing I don't appreciate about the seller in general is that he states that he will ship nothing via media mail even though this item practically is the definition of "Media Mail".

I'll probably buy it since I can't find it elsewhere. In the item description, he says "(copy?)". It will be interesting to see if another "(copy?)" pops up for sale if I buy this one.

Thanks for y'all's input.

Edited by BigO

It was a service manual for "Super Space Stranger", a Japanese import Space Invaders clone.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9946

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=3440&image=1

I've been looking around online and have been unable to find any other manuals or documentation for the machine. There may be manuals for other games that use this same board set, but I don't know enough yet to find those.

I usually don't put too many best offers on items unless I price them really high and have room to move. Why put a $4-7 item with a best offer? I find them many times and think they're ridiculous. I sometimes set a minimum but most times won't. Not because I want to gauge what the market is, but because it gives me a chance to counteroffer and maybe get somewhere in the middle of what I was asking and what the buyer is offering.

Sometimes people ask for a lower price without a best offer being there. I then tell them I will change the listing to accept best offers and tell them to make the offer proposed in our messages. I said this in another thread one time, but I'll tell it again. I had someone negotiate for a Seaquest CIB. I told him I would accept his offer. I changed the listing to accept best offer. The jackass then lowballs me. I then declined his offer and banned him from buying from me. He then writes to me as to why I banned him from buying my wares. I told him I didn't appreciate his lowball. He said that was the way negotiating worked. I told him it didn't when we had already agreed upon a price.

Phil

Received the manual today. Would have been here sooner if I hadn't forgotten to change my primary eBay address when I moved.

It was worth the price just for the setup instructions the likes of:

• Never give vibrations or impacts!
  • Keep out the sun, high temperature, damp and dusts!
  • Never drop the water, metal chips & others into the cabinet