IGNORED

Curious about Best Electronics' Euro OS mod

Rex Dart

So I was scanning through Best's site, checking cart prices, and I ran across their Euro OS mod again.

Has anybody bothered with this? Does it get you anything other than built-in Asteroids?

Their description on the site reads:

Atari Engineering released two versions of the Atari 7800 Operating System chips. The US version has the known 7800 boot up screen with the Atari Logo / color bars and delay before the inserted Atari 7800 game cartridge screen appears. The Euro 7800 OS chip / 7800 Euro Consoles have a build in Atari 7800 Asteroids game (turn on your 7800 with no game cartridge inserted and Asteroids would be the default game) and will instantly start any 7800 game when a 7800 game cartridge was installed. Both versions of the Atari 7800 OS chips both instantly start up all 2600 Game Cartridges.

Is that all there is to it? Seems pretty neat, but if there's more to it, I'd love to hear what. And to anybody who's installed the thing, does it seem that it could possibly be piggybacked with the original chip so that you could select which OS you want with a switch?

Personally, I like the startup Atari splash screen. It's only there for a bit and never sat there wishing my games would boot faster. lol

Built-in Asteroids... meh. Now if it were an exclusive built-in game you normally couldn't get on a commercially released cart, that would make more sense. Not a crappy maze game though like the SMS had. icon_lol.gif

• Like 1

Hmm... with the Euro OS, what do you get when you insert a cart that doesn't make proper contact? Would you still get the horrible scrambled picture & audio, or would it boot up Asteroids? Or does it just depend on which pins make contact? I'd rather see Asteroids than a/v garble when I put in a bad cart.

Hmm... with the Euro OS, what do you get when you insert a cart that doesn't make proper contact? Would you still get the horrible scrambled picture & audio, or would it boot up Asteroids? Or does it just depend on which pins make contact? I'd rather see Asteroids than a/v garble when I put in a bad cart.

it depends if it thinks its a 2600 game, a 7800 game or nothing. If it thinks its nothing you'll get asteroids. There are a couple of bytes in the ROM image that are checked to determine a good 7800 image. If they aren't as expected it hangs (or appears to - I haven't investigated it very far).

maybe several answers to that question:

1- I am a bit mad

2- I wanted to play Robotron

3- I had a CC2, and it seemed a good idea to make full use of it

4- I am a bit mad

Dug out the old girl today, as my French RGB 7800 will only now play 2600 games in B+W:( , found the OS mod and A/V mod, soldering iron etc.

When the wife/kids go to bed it my time to play :D

Fitted the Best A/V mod, Euro OS and a Rainbow fading LED tonight.

The A/V mod works brilliantly in 7800 mode, and is actually a better picture than the *bit domain and LHE mods on my TV, that is not to say that there is anything wrong with those mods, but here in PAL land even though TV's state that they can deal with an NTSC signal results vary wildly.

in 2600 mode there is some banding, and the image is not so sharp, but way better than RF in any case.

The OS mod is fairly straight forward, but the instructions are a little confusing (or maybe I am doing this too late in the day) Anyhow, Asteroids works great. As previously mentioned, if a cart is dirty or does not make contact correctly you will either get dumped to Asteroids or get coloured bands/noise.

The Rainbow LED looks great, but is a tad too bright.

I thought I would miss the Fuji splash screen, but it is actually nice to go straight into a game.