IGNORED

Retro Duo OR Retro Twin OR original SNES

vargose

Hey Guys. I am trying to decide what system I should buy. The Retro Duo, the new Retro Twin by Tomee, or an original snes. I like the idea of having an NES slot, but I see that as an extra. There are a few NES games I would like to play but not very many. I am more concerned about the SNES. I want to be able to play Mario RPG and the Japanese game Dragon Quest I & II. Those might pose a problem. I just want to see what people would recommend. Retro Duo, Retro Twin, or an original SNES.

Edited by vargose

Take it from someone with several clone systems....get an original, the "Benefits" are overshadowed by the downsides. Simply put, compatibility issues and very cheap construction that likely will not out last even an re-furbished original console.

Ok original it is then. My next question would be then. Should I get the Mini redesign or the original.

Are the new ones so bad? Lately I've noticed all the OG consoles have gone way up in price on ebay. :/

If by "new ones" your referring to all the clones then YES they are that bad, I bought a few thinking about the convenience and novelty but the fact is they are cheap crap, poor construction with the cheapest components. Add to this compatibility issues and what does run is not emulated 100% perfect. for what you save buying these you lose in the long run. IF YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED AN 8 or 16 bit game then OK you might not notice some of these issues but there is no comparison to the originals. do yourself a favor and avoid them, track down original working or refurbished consoles they will work and perform better and probably still last longer too.

The discussion here sums it up a LOT:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/176794-retron-3-does-anyone-have-one/

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

I use to have a generation Nex. I enjoyed it a lot. It was finicky with Dragon Warrior, but all my other games worked fine. It had a death grip on the cartridges too. I could see myself getting a nes clone in the future. Granted there is only a handful of games I really want to play on the NES.

I had a duo and was so disappointed with its lousy construction, flaky connections, and incorrect sound that I got rid of it and bought an NES and a SNES instead.

Since then, I've stuck to emulation until I get to the point of liking enough games on a platform to justify buying the real console. Clones don't enter the picture at all for me.

I've had an FC Twin for years and I'll swear by it - I also have 3 toasters and 2 SNES consoles so I can testify with the benefit of side-by-side comparison. It's one of the later hardware revisions, and both systems are emulated very well. The SNES emulation is in my opinion indistinguishable on the FC Twin from actual hardware. Games in my collection with extra chips - Star Fox, Super Mario RPG, and Kirby Super Star - all work without any issues. The only thing I must stress is to get some original Goddamn controllers, because clone controllers exist solely to soften your opinion of old 5200 joysticks. Also, you can't play Duck Hunt because of the lack of NES controller ports, but if you're hooked up to an HDTV you're boned again anyway.

I bought a Retro Duo a couple years back as well. I was less satisfied with the NES emulation (I had problems getting the sound to output correctly on a conspicuous number of televisions) but the SNES side was once again perfect. I'd go with the FC Twin.

I've had an FC Twin for years and I'll swear by it - I also have 3 toasters and 2 SNES consoles so I can testify with the benefit of side-by-side comparison. It's one of the later hardware revisions, and both systems are emulated very well. The SNES emulation is in my opinion indistinguishable on the FC Twin from actual hardware. Games in my collection with extra chips - Star Fox, Super Mario RPG, and Kirby Super Star - all work without any issues.

I guess the trick there then is making sure you get one of the newer FC Twin revisions then.