IGNORED

eBay Auction problem with a seller

the.golden.ax

I bought a PS2 heavy in a clear flip top shell that included a monster s-video cable. The text of the ad specifically talks about the monster brand cable. Everything came as described but the cable has a major short in it. I asked the seller to either buy me a cable (currently $10.99 on Amazon, or one closing soon for $5 + $5 shipping on ePay) or refund me $10. They have taken an attitude and want the whole set back. If I report them to ePay I will also be required to return the set for any refund. My choices are keeping the system with a broken video cord, or sending the whole set back. I'm conflicted about what to do. The system works great and plays back-ups so I don't really want to start over. The guy owes me a good cable. I just want what I paid for or the funds to buy it myself.

AX

Keep it and start a formal case with Ebay, Explain all you want is a partial refund. I would also thell the seller that he/she needs to make good on the transaction or you will need to leave neg feedback. You could also offer a possible solution of splitting the cost and get only 5.00 back. It has to be better than paying to ship it back.

I have recieved partial refunds on Sealed games that were shipped in a Bubbleope and were slightly damaged in shipping. Just explain your case to Ebay, sometimes they surprise will surprise you and side with common sense.(not usually, but sometimes)

Good Luck

You can always just start a claim with ebay. Once the seller responds, escalate to eBay and see what they do. They might force a partial refund.

Sadly, ebay started to do all or nothing on the claims these days. Idiotic in my opinion since this situation could be resolved for a relatively small amount. I'm happy with the system. My bid included extra for that cable as did others bidding against me I'm sure. He is going to get a negative and I'm going to file a claim. If eBay requires me to return something and provide tracking proof, I'm sending the cable alone. If eBay refunds me in full, I'm going to deduct the price of the cable and send him a signature required money order for the balance (less the cost of the signed for services) I won't loose a dime, but I'm not going to rip him off (even though I know ebay well enough to do it). You could literally mail a brick to his neighbor and get refunded from eBay for having "returned" the item because the D/C would show his zip code. I'm about justice here, the guy is a fool for not making it right.

AX

To save yourself some trouble you may want to just call/email Monster and ask them if they will fix the cable (lifetime warranty).

Hey, thanks! The thought hadn't occurred to me. I recall that now that you said it - been a long time since I bought one new.

AX

I hope they honor the cable warranty without any proof of original purchase because it seems like getting the seller to give a partial refund is going to be a bit of work. Still if the cable was said to be good and was bad when you tested it the seller doesn't deserve favorable feedback.

Edited by Pilsner73