IGNORED

Buttons on the Atari 7800

ninoy1995

Is there a way to replace the buttons and springs on the Atari 7800 Console?

I was using my console and it seems the buttons are stuck and does not spring back. I opened the console to replace the switches (got spares from mouser.com) under the buttons but they are very functional. The problem seems to be the spring on the buttons.

Anybody had this experience?

Thanks.

Actually, I just thought that there are springs inside, since I do have another 7800 with the buttons "springing" back up when pressed. It seems that the button assembly for these units are not replaceable. I will try spraying the grooves with compressed air. Thank you for your suggestion.

What's wrong with the springs, exactly, since you've got it open? Maybe you just need to clean out the groove that the buttons fit into.

What's wrong with the springs, exactly, since you've got it open? Maybe you just need to clean out the groove that the buttons fit into.

You can snap them out, and if they're really dirty, you can clean the buttons and the button cavity with cotton swabs. The button switches on the board are still being sold and can also be replaced; if you do a search, you'll find a link to the exact same switch on Mouser.