IGNORED

Checkered Flag controls

CyranoJ

Do people find Checkered Flag's controls THAT bad? I've had no problems with them!

They're bad especially when compared to Virtua Racing on the 32x but I am able to get a pretty good pattern going and can find my way around the tracks. How much of that is luck, I don't know. It seems to me that when racing against the computer that even despite crashing and rolling your vehicle often that you can still keep pace with the rest of the field.

Edited by GKC

• 4 weeks later...

Do people find Checkered Flag's controls THAT bad? I've had no problems with them!

They're bad especially when compared to Virtua Racing on the 32x but I am able to get a pretty good pattern going and can find my way around the tracks. How much of that is luck, I don't know. It seems to me that when racing against the computer that even despite crashing and rolling your vehicle often that you can still keep pace with the rest of the field.

I'd say they're pretty bad compared to Stunt Race FX on the SNES . . .

• 3 years later...

Thanks CJ and Remo, just getting around to trying this and I patched a Checkered Flag Rom successfully tonite (it didn't make another CF rom but altered the one I had and said a new modified time when looking at its attributes - this is correct patching function I hope) and then uploaded to Jag with Skunk, so playing it now - it seems a little better now without the increased speed of a turn the longer you press the d-pad, now it turns at a steady pace it seems, this makes it that much more playable. :) I think with some practice I can enjoy this game more now.

• Like 3

Trying to figure this out tonight. Have the rom, have the patch, downloaded LunarIPS...we'll see how it goes. Not too great at this kind of stuff

Okay lunar IPS made it easier to patch the rom than it is to play checkered flag without the patch :)

Now to load it up and check it out. Fingers are crossed that this is actually playable now... I have a donor checkered flag cart just itching to become Checkered Flag SP

Edited by travistouchdown

Well, I think the steering patch helps a lot. It makes it at least playable.

Still, there is only so much a patch can do. The steering still isn't great, the visibility on the tracks and frame-rate are an issue.

Try as people more talented than me might, i'm not sure if this one is salvageable. Life is just too short and there are too many other good racers out there.

Life is just too short and there are too many other good racers out there.

That's basically what it comes down to. The game is crap either way and there are better games to be enjoyed. I'm glad to see the patch exists though for people that want to give the game another try, it at least makes it somewhat playable.

It's time to pull out my CF VJ video again:

Play the game in Virtual Jaguar and see more what the devs were working towards, it suggests that the game is unoptimised and suffers under its own weight. What kitty said earlier in the thread is right, the game is trying to do too much. A reduced game window, simpler geometry, whatever it would have taken to get the frame rate up, would have allowed for a less frustrating experience as the lag between your inputs and the display came down.

• Like 2

It's time to pull out my CF VJ video again:

Play the game in Virtual Jaguar and see more what the devs were working towards, it suggests that the game is unoptimised and suffers under its own weight. What kitty said earlier in the thread is right, the game is trying to do too much. A reduced game window, simpler geometry, whatever it would have taken to get the frame rate up, would have allowed for a less frustrating experience as the lag between your inputs and the display came down.

How does the steering patch work compared to this video though, in terms of effectiveness over the gameplay?

How does the steering patch work compared to this video though, in terms of effectiveness over the gameplay?

Not sure it's required, I could control the game fine without it. But if you want to know, I suppose you run the game patched and unpatched in VJ and find out :0)

That's basically what it comes down to. The game is crap either way and there are better games to be enjoyed. I'm glad to see the patch exists though for people that want to give the game another try, it at least makes it somewhat playable.

Its funny because I think Word Tour racing actually has worse graphics, about as bad framerate, yet is infinitely more playable because they NAILED the controls. Music is better too :)

You'd think since they took the time to come up with such nice polygon graphics that they would have spent more time optimizing control/framerate for their system flagship title. I'm guessing there was a time-crunch to release it. I'm going to keep at CF with the steering patch for a bit and see if I cant get better at it.

• 2 years later...

Wow, I actually made it around an entire turn! http://www.atariage.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/icon_eek.gif

http://www.atariage.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/icon_lol.gif

Here's an .IPS file that will apply the patch as shown above. Just run an IPS utility (such as Lunar IPS) select the .IPS file, then select the Checkered Flag image to be patched. Voila! http://www.atariage.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/icon_wink.gif

Checkered Flag (1994)(Atari).IPS.zip

Will this then boot fine in VJ?

I know at times Shamus has to apply a batch or remove a bit of header, etc.

Sorry to bump a thread :). Just saw my Checkered Flag box & was reminded I need to try this patch out!