IGNORED

"Prototype" Vader 2600

ianoid

Wow, just wow!

I think I will just repost this description from eBay so I can see it here in plain text and try to fathom it . . . and the rest of us as well . . .

Yes, it is a wall of text, but like codebreakers, or archeologists, (or perhaps psychologists?) we must persevere and attempt to pull what knowledge we can from this . . . artifact . . .

;)

"This is an Atari 2600 Darth Vader System. This is a special system because it is a Prototype. You can tell this is a prototype because the date on the bottom of the system is April 5, 1981 and the Darth Vader didn't officially come out until 1982. You can also tell it's a prototype because of the orange ring around the switches instead of the all black on black color scheme. The very first prototypes had an orange ring instead of a black ring and this was changed in 1982 to go with the all black on black color scheme. The original Darth Vader prototypes nicknamed the Light Saber because of the orange ring around the switches was later nicknamed the Darth Vader because of the all black color scheme. I just sold one of these Darth Vaders that I bought in 1984 it came with a 16 turbo graphics cord which was used on Atari Computers up until they started putting them on the Atari 7800 pro system. It was a one of a kind one out of 20,000 and it sold for $330.00. The one I am selling today I got from my friend who had the original Darth Vader which I didn't know was a prototype until I noticed the orange ring and the date on the bottom of the system and did some research and found out it was dubbed the Light Saber Darth Vader. This was the first Atari Game System to ever use the 16 turbo graphics cord along with the newer technology added to the motherbaord to give it better graphics and sound than the regular tv cord that was put on the Atari making it by far the nicest graphics and sound wise Atari ever made!!! Even better than the Heavy Sixer it's more like the 5200 Super System. There are only a hand full of these prototype Light Saber Darth Vaders in circulation. This was a promotional Atari that my friend won from an Atari Game Challenge. I can't remember which game it was but he won second prize and received this Atari as one of his prizes and when he got it they told him it was far better graphics and sound wise than the one he previously owned. He also got 2 Lazer Quick Fire Adapters along with a couple hitech controllers. I told him last week that the one that I put on with the 16 turbo graphics sold for $330 and he said he wondered what he can get out of his prototype. Since it was a prototype and came out 3 years before mine and he won it at one of the Atari Challenges back in mid 1981 he's excited to see what kind of money his will bring so I agreed to post it on Ebay for him. This system is also extra special because unlike any other Darth Vader I have ever seen this one also comes with the original Darth Vader game center and storage case which has the black on black color scheme as well as the Darth Vader "D" emblem on the front. This has been in dry storage since 1985. We recently tested it and all of the games and everything is in good working order. The games are as follows :

Donkey Kong

Pitfall

Frogger

Pole Position

Kaboom

Sea Quest

Star Master

River Raid

Fishin Derby

Chopper Command

Stampede

Boxing

Human Cannonball

Space Invaders

Asteroids

Yars Revenge

Slot Racers

Dodge em

Centipede

Missle Command

Indy 500 with Driving Paddle (tested and working jitter free)

This system also comes with a Darth Vader controller and a slick stick controller. I have seen one of these Darth Vader Game Center Storage cases before and it sold for over $100.00 and it wasn't in near good as shape as this one is. The prototype Darth Vader is worth anywhere from $200 to $500. The games listed are worth around $40. So in total this lot is worth anywhere from $350 to $650 or more!!! I'm starting this out at 99cents with no reserve leaving it up to you the bidders to determine what it's worth to you!!! I have only seen one these other than my friends in the 25 plus years I have been an Atari enthusiast. So if you can get this piece of Atari gaming history for any reasonable price I would buy it right away and bid with confidence!!!! This is a must have for any gamer or collector for that matter anybody who is interested in video games or their history because this system started the Darth Vader revolution!!! This was the start of the video game phenomenon!!!!"

Amazing . . .

Question, anyone? Questions? Anyone?

:D

-a2a

ProNotype" 2600 system

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2806486356301?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=280648635630&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I highly doubt this is of any real interest. The description is insane.

Thank you for posting this! In December I was running out of Atari 2600 systems to sell and put together an Atari that looks exactly like the one that this seller is selling as a prototype. I just sold it as a working Atari 2600. It was ugly but it worked. Now I don't know if this is the same one that I sold or not but it sure looks the same.

Edited by holygrailvideogames.com