IGNORED

Thinking about getting a 7800 ...

SlowCoder

I'm considering getting a 7800 as my next console. I have never seen one 1st hand, so it's a bit of a mystery to me.

- How popular was the 7800? I'm guessing much less so than the 2600. This would lend to my 2nd question ...

- What average price should I expect to pay for a working, good cosmetic condition, 7800 with 2 controllers?

- What would be recommendations for a few good games? I guess a top 10 might be a good place to start.

- When considering a purchase, is there anything special I need to consider? Common functionality problems, etc.?

Thanks.

I'm considering getting a 7800 as my next console. I have never seen one 1st hand, so it's a bit of a mystery to me.

- How popular was the 7800? I'm guessing much less so than the 2600. This would lend to my 2nd question ...

- What average price should I expect to pay for a working, good cosmetic condition, 7800 with 2 controllers?

- What would be recommendations for a few good games? I guess a top 10 might be a good place to start.

- When considering a purchase, is there anything special I need to consider? Common functionality problems, etc.?

Thanks.

I love my 7800!

Couldnt tell you what a price is, been away for awhile. My guess $25-35ish in good condition and 2 decent controllers and cables.

Games:(non-homebrew)

Mario Bros

Asteroids

Food fight

Ninja Golf

Midnight Mutants

Joust

Robotron 2084

Xevious

Double Dragon

Dig Dug

That a good mix you'd enjoy.

Look for one with expan port on side. Bonus! If not no real big deal.

Its a great system, lots of good homebrew...and more comin!:D

7800 systems are not too expensive. I paid just a little over $40 for mine last year, CIB on eBay. I know others have paid slightly more as well as slightly less. You shouldn't have to pay much at all for a decent boxed one if you keep your eye out. :)

Games-wise, what attracts me to the 7800 is it's large library of quality arcade conversions that can all be had extremely cheap: The Donkey Kongs, Dig Dug, Asteroids, Centipede, Ms. Pac-Man, Xevious, Food Fight, Mario Bros., etc. etc. It has some other unique titles like Midnight Mutants, Ninja Golf and Scrapyard Dog, but I keep it around mainly for the nice arcade conversions.

I bought mine bare off Craigslist for $15. Then I bought a ps, video, and controller for $15 off of a fellow AA'er. Great system. You may want to score some Sega Master System controllers for it, though. And don't forget, it will play most 2600 games, so you can get the 2600 classics (Berzerk, Combat, Yar's Revenge, etc.).

Well, that kind of pricing isn't too bad. I was expecting closer to $100 for a system with some games. Can't complain there!

Yeah, I was aware it plays 2600 games. I've got 4 2600 consoles though, so that's not really a big consideration. I just have this little blank hole on the shelf in the closet that needs a storage box that says "Atari 7800". And maybe a little something to drive the wife a little crazier. :P

Atari only had one market dominating system and that was the 2600. The 5200 did ok against its primary competitors, but was not the dominator that the 2600 was. The 7800 trailed the NES, but still sold almost 4 million units in the US (according to Atari internal sales figures that Curt found) but sold more than the Lynx, XE game system and Jaguar that followed it by a substantial margin.

It's a bit subjective, but I'll tell you what I liked:

Xevious

Food Fight

Ball Blazer

Midnight Mutants

Commando

Scrapyard Dog

Ikari Warriors

Alien Brigade

Double Dragon (though I think it should have been MUCH better than it was)

Plutos (unreleased but variants are around)

robotron 2084

Xenophobe

Tower Toppler

Basketbrawl

Joust

Ms Pac Man

Plus lots of the homebrews.

Personally, I'd avoid like the plague:

- Karateka, Fight Night, Real Sports Baseball, Touchdown Football, Tomcat, Title Match Pro Wrestling

Common functionality problems, etc.?

Biggest issue I've seen is that the power supply is proprietary and can break easily. The joysticks don't hold up well to abuse either.

• 3 weeks later...

What hardware was made to work with this slot? Is it worth looking for?

None. :-) Atari was sold before anythng happened and the Tramiels killed all related initiatives and the port.

Is it hard to find good power supplies and controllers?

Ebay and plenty of Atari dealers out there.

Tip: Forget about the standard 7800 controllers (the Pro-Line sticks). IF you find one that works, it sucks anyways.

Ok. Recommendations?

My recommendation: Don't listen people who tell you the standard 7800 prolines suck. For two reasons:

1. They really aren't that bad, in fact they're pretty good. But people love to be overly dramatical about this subject.

2. All of the 7800's two button games require genuine 7800 controllers, or the ability to modify another controller with two buttons to work properly with the 7800. You can get teh 7800 euro pads, but they are more expensive, harder to find, and just as sucky as the Proline sticks in a different way.

• Like 2

Tip: Forget about the standard 7800 controllers (the Pro-Line sticks). IF you find one that works, it sucks anyways.

Ok. Recommendations?

My recommendation: Don't listen people who tell you the standard 7800 prolines suck. For two reasons:

1. They really aren't that bad, in fact they're pretty good. But people love to be overly dramatical about this subject.

2. All of the 7800's two button games require genuine 7800 controllers, or the ability to modify another controller with two buttons to work properly with the 7800. You can get teh 7800 euro pads, but they are more expensive, harder to find, and just as sucky as the Proline sticks in a different way.

YES!Good Point!Midnight Mutants will NOT work with 3rd party sticks, you just get a black screen.Was using another 2 button controller, I thought the game was bad, but then switched back to the Pro-line and voila! back to playing MM!!