IGNORED

Bounty Bob - leftward movement

Chuplayer

Is Bounty Bob Strikes Back particularly picky about movement to the left? For some reason, only one of my controllers can make Bounty Bob go left. According to Pete's Test Cart, it's able to go down to about 18 on the horizontal axis while my other controller can only go down to about 28. I've heard of deadzones, but this is ridiculous.

Would adjusting one of the internal pots inside the console help me? I've never done that before, and I'm not sure exactly what it will do for me.

I'm using my new AtariMax SD cart with all this stuff, BTW.

seems like if it werent for the controllers we would have nothing to talk about

i hate opening my 5200

any way you could use a ohm meter to check the resistance (i use a couple bent paperclips to get in the holes) cause meter probes are too fat

between pins 9 and 10 full left should be between 10-50k full right should be 500k or greater

if you open the controller and shift the pot actuator it would mean taking the bottom pot and rotating it counter clockwise till it stops then push it a little more that way when it goes to the full left it should have lower resistance

but then when you play gyruss it probably wont let you go right and dont get me started on montezumas revenge the control centering on that one is haunted

Edited by bohoki

I had this problem last night with BBSB. Player would not walk left with one of 4 controllers I had within reach.

I opened up the one controller and tweaked the arm on the pot just so slightly and that made it work great.

You can spin the arms on the pots just be careful to not get carried away. It can be hard to get the arm back in working range. I suggest marking the arm and pot with a sharpie before trying to move it.

BBSB has very high thresholds for left/right movement. It basically only works with a perfectly calibrated controller.

The ROM image could be modified to make the edge thresholds smaller, but it might actually make the game more difficult to play since it requires pretty precise control.

Steve

BBSB has very high thresholds for left/right movement. It basically only works with a perfectly calibrated controller.

The ROM image could be modified to make the edge thresholds smaller, but it might actually make the game more difficult to play since it requires pretty precise control.

Steve

Unplayable vs. playable. I'd go with playable. Of course, if you're looking for precise digital control, you're not looking at a 5200.