IGNORED

Starpath Supercharger question

Checkered_Flagman

A binary ROM file (.bin) must be converted to an audio format like .WAV first. The program MAKEWAV will do this. Once converted to a media file like .wav, it can be played as-is or recorded to pretty much anything (cassette, CD, MP3-player, etc). The Supercharger uses a standard mini plug to receive the signal...so no hardware modification is necessary.

not any game - the Supercharger only has 6K of RAM, so it's limited to the 2K and 4K games.

I found that site earlier today as well, but none of the links on that page work. I haven't seen Bob's original site in quite some time either.

Wayback machine: http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20090605073820/http://members.cox.net/rcolbert/index.htm

Yeah...click the file size tab on your directory browser ;)

Also, 2k roms must be doubled-up before creating a .wav file (so it occupies both lower banks in the Supercharger). Some roms will not be compatable with an unmodded Supercharger unless they are altered to remove the cause(s) of incompatability (usually, it's just a program's data existing on the ROM locations that the Supercharger uses for swapping one of it's banks with another). The Supercharger hack thread (in the 2600 hack forum) has a bunch of incompatable roms already altered to be compatable with a stock Supercharger.

Just an info:

what i need to write "classic" Atari 2600 roms in blank cassette tapes and play them via Starpath Supercharger?

Is hardware mod needed to play them?

Here is a link for supercharger compatable games, as Nukey said these have been doubled up and fixed not to trip the auto bankswitch

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XOUTI507

I did not make these, this was a link another user sent me.

Also check this link out, its a thread of Nukeys with games he fixed.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65897&hl=

Finaly here is a link about modding the supercharger...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/117143-my-custom-supercharger-modification/page__hl__starpath%20mp3

... and the origional Worship the Woodgrain cd...

http://www.atariage.com/2600/misc/WtW.zip

I feel ya on using the supercharger, but if you want game portability, do consider a Harmony cart instead...

http://harmony.atariage.com/

Edited by Syntaxerror999

I'd lik to use only real "vintage" hardware, as supercharger is.

I'd like also to play my favourite games (Burgertime, Ikari Warriors, Commando, California Games, Snoopy vs the Red Baron...) and protos (Donald Duck, Garfield, Dumbo, Bugs Bunny) with Supercharger... is there a way to do this?

Edited by Checkered_Flagman

BTW one such example (probably the best-known one) is Ghost Manor. The full game is 8k (using the F8 banking scheme)...however a 4k split file exists which allows you to "play" the first level. Because the second 4k bank's data is not present, the 4k split file never progresses.

By "tapes" meaning audio cassettes? Yes...the Supercharger is capable of using any game specifically made for the unit, or any 4k or doubled-up 2k game that does not accidentally trip it's bankswitch hotspots. To repeat...if you want to use such games which DO trip it's bankswitch hotspots, the two options are either to modify the unit to give it a physical switch which prevents it from banking...or by using a modified version of the game which no longer has the issue.

A more-modern approach is to use other hardware instead of the Supercharger (i.e. Cuttlecart, Harmony/Melody, etc).

By "tapes" meaning audio cassettes? Yes...the Supercharger is capable of using any game specifically made for the unit, or any 4k or doubled-up 2k game that does not accidentally trip it's bankswitch hotspots. To repeat...if you want to use such games which DO trip it's bankswitch hotspots, the two options are either to modify the unit to give it a physical switch which prevents it from banking...or by using a modified version of the game which no longer has the issue.

A more-modern approach is to use other hardware instead of the Supercharger (i.e. Cuttlecart, Harmony/Melody, etc).

I think I didn't explained what I mean: is there a way to play also 8k or 16k roms using an "old" device like Supercharger?

Couldn't be possible to expand RAM up to 16k?

I'm not looking for modern approach (only 80s taste :D) only classic one!

I think I didn't explained what I mean: is there a way to play also 8k or 16k roms using an "old" device like Supercharger?

Couldn't be possible to expand RAM up to 16k?

I don't know of anyway to do what you are wanting with tape. I don't know whether or not the Supercharger RAM could be expanded, but if it could, would that be a classic approach either? It would on the outside, but not internally.

From what you said, I think your best option would be to buy all the original cartridges that you want to play and put them in an Imagic display kiosk. Unfortunately, some games are incompatible with that method too.

i play about 350 games on 4 cds i play them in a portable cd player and just skip to the number i want to play

i wish there was some way to break up the games like someone made a 4k ghost manor but it is just the graveyard scene over and over

it would be neat to have the game broke up into the 3 games graveyard ,shooting frankenstein and the dracula maze

maybe others could be broken up and just loop when finished

There's another "problem", how is possible that an 8k game (Smurfs) was released as cassette in Brazil?

Canal 3 used their own version of Supercharger hardware. I don't know how that unit functioned...but I gather that it allowed a full 4k rom swap (which the original Arcadia/Starpath version DOES NOT). F8 games like Smurf:RIGA, Raiders o/t Lost Ark, etc. do a full 4k rom swap. I dunno what other banking schemes it supported, but F8 was definately one of them.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/4950-supercharger-question/

[...]

Put Harmony cart circuitry inside a Supercharger case? Edited by BigO
  • Like 1

[...]

Put Harmony cart circuitry inside a Supercharger case?

LOL, I LOVE that idea. And use the audio cable as the USB! I realize that you were joking but I do like that idea. Especially if you could access the SD card from the usb cable, as well as the Harmony hardware.