IGNORED

Good price for a Amiga 1000/ opinion of it

ATARI7800fan

Very limited, hard/expensive to upgrade, but sexy as hell which pretty much makes up for it. I'm not sure about price anymore, I got my 2 (well, 1.5) back when they were a dime a dozen. Frank (save2600) can tell you everything you need to know and more I'm sure. I ended up just getting an A500 instead rather than dealing with upgrading the 1000's.

As far as real-world use goes:

The A1K is reasonably reliable. Its fan tends to be whisper silent too, though both its internal drive and its matching external drive have a lot of hollow space that echo when the drive head reads – so quite loud.

Price-wise, it varies a lot on eBay. Condition of the plastics seem to be a big factor. I'd avoid paying more than $150, unless it comes with a good matching monitor or some modifications.

The A1K is only 256KB, but always comes with an additional 256KB of RAM under a front cover, so nearly all eBay Amiga 1000s are 512KB.

To be a usable game system, an Amiga needs, at minimum:

- 2 disk drives and 512KB

-or-

- 1 disk drive and 1MB

So to answer your original question, the Amiga in this auction is a game capable machine. It will play 85% of the games released in the US (with perhaps 10% of the remainder being AGA Amiga 1200/4000 specific games)

There are some other considerations however:

The Amiga 1000’s kickstart firmware cannot easily be upgraded beyond revision 1.3, as the 1000 stores its kickstart in a unique 256KB RAM drive. Later kickstart revisions take up 512KB, so they simply do not fit. This is a non-issue with original disk based games however.

1 MB or more of additional memory makes life much easier. These can be internal upgrades (very rare) or SOTS (slap-on-the-side) upgrades (slightly less rare). A 1MB or 2MB upgrade will go for maybe $50-$100 on eBay.

Hard drives are hard to find for the A1000. External RAM expansions and hard drives for an A500 often work fine, but look awful connected to an A1000 and may cover a joystick port.

The chip RAM of an Amiga 1000 is limited to 512KB. Chip RAM is crititcal for games, video, and audio applications. This isn’t the end of the world as nearly all games fit into 512KB of chip RAM, but it makes switching from North American NTSC video to European PAL video extremely difficult or impossible. That can be a big deal if you want to play European games that were never released in the US. You mention Jaguar XJ220, released by Gremlin. That game might be PAL only, and thus have issues running on an unmodified A1000.

As far as desirability goes:

The A1000 is “The Amiga” in my opinion. A lot of people don’t know that the Amiga 1000 was originally just called the Amiga. Just as the Atari 2600 was called the Atari VCS. The "1000" came later and only after Commodore decided to continue a numbering scheme with subsequent releases.

In a real sense the 1000 sort of is “the Amiga” since Commodore didn’t really have enough time to deviate far from the Amiga, Inc. reference specifications before they needed to bring an Amiga-based PC to market. The sexy features of the Amiga – like the thin chassis, the keyboard garage and ivory white color scheme are all from the reference designs and concept sketches.

You can see some of this design philosophy in old Amiga Lorraine reference designs. While very rare, there are even a few early add-ons that bring the stacked-level chassis design of the prototypes and concepts to the production Amiga 1000.

Lorraine/Amiga concept sketch ............................................................

post-11578-0-22873700-1302654519_thumb.jpg post-11578-0-33461300-1302654572_thumb.jpg

.................................................Amiga 1000 with boing ball era badges and stacking Zorro backplane

• Like 1

As far as real-world use goes:

The A1K is reasonably reliable. It’s fan tends to be whisper silent too, though both its internal drive and its matching external drive have a lot of hollow space that echo when the drive head reads – so quite loud.

Price-wise, it varies a lot on eBay. Condition of the plastics seem to be a big factor. I'd avoid paying more than $150, unless it comes with a good matching monitor or some modifications.

The A1K is only 256KB, but always comes with an additional 256KB of RAM under a front cover, so nearly all eBay Amiga 1000s are 512KB.

To be a usable game system, an Amiga needs, at minimum:

- 2 disk drives and 512KB

-or-

- 1 disk drive and 1MB

So to answer your original question, the Amiga in this auction is a game capable machine. It will play 85% of the games released in the US (with perhaps 10% of the remainder being AGA Amiga 1200/4000 specific games)

There are some other considerations however:

The Amiga 1000’s kickstart firmware cannot easily be upgraded beyond revision 1.3, as the 1000 stores its kickstart in a unique 256KB RAM drive. Later kickstart revisions take up 512KB, so they simply do not fit. This is a non-issue with original disk based games however.

1 MB or more of additional memory makes life much easier. These can be internal upgrader (very rare) or SOTS (slap-on-the-side) upgrades (slightly less rare). A 1MB or 2MB upgrade will go for maybe $50-$100 on eBay.

Hard drives are hard to find for the A1000. External RAM expansions and hard drives for an A500 often work fine, but look awful connected to an A1000 and may cover a joystick port.

The chip RAM of an Amiga 1000 is limited to 512KB. Chip RAM is crititcal for games, video, and audio applications. This isn’t the end of the world as nearly all games fit into 512KB of chip RAM, but it makes switching from North American NTSC video to European PAL video extremely difficult or impossible. That can be a big deal if you want to play European games that were never released in the US. You mention Jaguar XJ220, released by Gremlin. That game might be PAL only, and thus have issues running on an unmodified A1000.

As far as desirability goes:

The A1000 is “The Amiga” in my opinion. A lot of people don’t know that the Amiga 1000 was originally just called the Amiga. Just as the Atari 2600 was called the Atari VCS. The "1000" came later and only after Commodore decided to continue a numbering scheme with subsequent releases.

In a real sense the 1000 sort of is “the Amiga” since Commodore didn’t really have enough time to deviate far from the reference specifications before they needed to bring an Amiga-based PC to market. The sexy features of the Amiga – like the thin chassis, the keyboard garage and ivory white color scheme are all from the reference designs and concept sketches.

You can see some of this design philosophy in old Amiga Lorraine reference designs. While very rare, there are even a few early add-ons that bring the stacked-level chassis design of the prototypes and concepts to the production Amiga 1000.

Lorraine/Amiga concept sketch ............................................................

post-11578-0-22873700-1302654519_thumb.jpg post-11578-0-33461300-1302654572_thumb.jpg

.................................................Amiga 1000 with boing ball era badges and stacking Zorro backplane

Thanks that really does help. My other question would be how hard is it to find American games for the Amiga. I have seen some lots on ebay but those seem to be rare. How hard is it to run a Pal Amiga on a American TV. Found one game lot today of American games that is about 50 in size, If I had the money I would probably buy those and the Amiga 1000 I found, not to sure If I will get one though. I do know the next time I replace my PC I will look to see how much the new "Amiga's" cost that commodore USA is selling. Nice to see a Amiga 1000 model on there site. Just love the look of them, plus the 1000 is the only model it seems that commodore released with the Amiga checkmark logo.

Edited by ATARI7800fan

Thanks that really does help. My other question would be how hard is it to find American games for the Amiga. I have seen some lots on ebay but those seem to be rare. How hard is it to run a Pal Amiga on a American TV. Found one game lot today of American games that is about 50 in size, If I had the money I would probably buy those and the Amiga 1000 I found, not to sure If I will get one though. I do know the next time I replace my PC I will look to see how much the new "Amiga's" cost that commodore USA is selling. Nice to see a Amiga 1000 model on there site. Just love the look of them, plus the 1000 is the only model it seems that commodore released with the Amiga checkmark logo.

I don't see Commodore USA bringing out any desirable Amiga related kit anytime soon. The story on them is it's one guy who imports furniture and saw an opportunity to import zero footprint PCs. He boldly slapped VIC or Commodore logos on ‘em and sold them, then later negotiated the rights to do this from the actual Commodore rights holder. Right now if I understand correctly, he may or may not have the license to sell a PC clone as an “Amiga” and may even someday come up with a cool case designed to invoke Amiga nostalgia.

I doubt this will pan out, but I’m not the target audience at any rate. Even if those machines did come out, they would be PCs running the Amiga Forever emulator.

With that in mind, if you want good emulation, you can buy Amiga Forever right now and get a very good Amiga emulation experience. But to me, it just isn’t the same.

As for your original question: Amiga games can be found all over. They are rare but if you wait you can eventually find nearly everything cheap. There are of course legitimate rare games that are hard to come by.

I’d guess that roughly 75% of the games you see from US/Canadian sellers on eBay are American. Importing games did not take off for Amiga until the early 1990s, as more systems could boot into PAL mode. Ironically, I may be partly responsible for this. I was the Amiga/Atari ST buyer for Softwaire Centre (sic), Upgrade and TechStar in the late 1980s. I have a fierce love of games and wanted to try everything, and that meant making Ingram/MicroD import a few dozen of each UK release, no matter how lame. They were hard to convince at first, but by the time I’d left (and even after those 3 retail chains were dead and gone) Ingram was importing in a big way and their competitors were following suit.

To run PAL software on a US Amiga, you need two things:

An Amiga that boots into PAL mode.

A display that will let you get away with the PAL scan rates. The good news here is that many stock Amiga monitors can handle PAL with some adjustments of the knobs on the back. Modern TVs are very hit and miss.

I don't see Commodore USA bringing out any desirable Amiga related kit anytime soon. The story on them is it's one guy who imports furniture and saw an opportunity to import zero footprint PCs. He boldly slapped VIC or Commodore logos on ‘em and sold them, then later negotiated the rights to do this from the actual Commodore rights holder. Right now if I understand correctly, he may or may not have the license to sell a PC clone as an “Amiga” and may even someday come up with a cool case designed to invoke Amiga nostalgia.

I doubt this will pan out, but I’m not the target audience at any rate. Even if those machines did come out, they would be PCs running the Amiga Forever emulator.

With that in mind, if you want good emulation, you can buy Amiga Forever right now and get a very good Amiga emulation experience. To me, it just isn’t the same.

As for your original question: Amiga games can be found all over. They are rare but if you wait you can eventually find nearly everything cheap. There are of course legitimate rare games that are hard to come by.

I’d guess that roughly 75% of the games you see from US/Canadian sellers on eBay are American. Importing games did not take off for Amiga until the early 1990s, as more systems could boot into PAL mode. Ironically, I may be partly responsible for this. I was the Amiga/Atari ST buyer for Softwaire Centre (sic), Upgrade and TechStar in the late 1980s. I have a fierce love of games and wanted to try everything, and that meant making Ingram/MicroD import a few dozen of each UK release, no matter how lame. They were hard to convince at first, but by the time I’d left (and even after those 3 retail chains were dead and gone) Ingram was importing in a big way and their competitors were following suit.

To run PAL software on a US Amiga, you need two things:

An Amiga that boots into PAL mode.

A display that will let you get away with the PAL scan rates. The good news here is that many stock Amiga monitors can handle PAL with some adjustments of the knobs on the back. Modern TVs are very hit and miss.

Thanks, I already know the Amiga's commodore USA say will be coming soon are just PC's but I do like the case design of them, just find PC towers overly big and take up to much room. Plus my PC is starting to show its age. So far the website says they are planning on having a 1000,2000,3000. Which the cases are the same size difference as the originals, as the 1000 is the thinnest, the 2000 the thickest and the 3000 inbetween, which I did find it odd at first the the 3000 which was built after the 2000 was smaller. Would rather get those to replace my pc then the new commodore 64 just because they should be more powerful seeing as they are called Amiga's. Also how often do the Amiga 1000's show up on the Marketplace here.

Edited by ATARI7800fan

I have a good question. If there is Amiga 1200 specific software, is the Amiga 1200 backward compatible with all Amiga 1000 games? When I get an Amiga I am wanting the first one I get to be compatible with the most games as possible. All I am going to use it for is the games.

No Amiga is 100% compatible with all Amiga games out of the box, but most are 80% or more.

The X-factors are things like specific processor needs (some games require a 68000 and choke on newer chips) AGA graphics support (which only the 1200/4000/CD32 have) and the previously menitoned PAL/NTSC differences.

That said, the A1200 might be the most compatible out of the box.

A program called WHDLoad can bring a 1200 to near perfect compatibility.

I have a good question. If there is Amiga 1200 specific software, is the Amiga 1200 backward compatible with all Amiga 1000 games? When I get an Amiga I am wanting the first one I get to be compatible with the most games as possible. All I am going to use it for is the games.

If you're talking bare-bones A1200, then you're going to run into a few problems getting older software to work. There's the early startup screen native to Kickstart by this time and you can select OCS or ECS screen modes. That helps with some games, but not all. The real issue though is Kickstart itself. There's a floppy work-a-round for this though. A disk that basically loads Kickstart 1.3 onto your system (now your A1200 will feel like an A1000!), before inserting the game disk that previously did not work.

And Rob's right of course, about the 020+ processors mucking up some games. Yes, WHDLoad will solve most all of these problems, but plan on spending good money upgrading an A1200 system to do so. From a stock A1200, you're gonna then want some Fast RAM, if not an 030 card with Fast RAM. Then a hard drive. Then a flicker fixer, then a wireless PCMCIA card, then... :lol:

Amiga - can be as addicting as crack!

Oh, to answer the OP's original question of opinion on the A1000 - absolutely love it! For nostalgic reasons, love loading Kickstart from disk (I can even load Kickstart 3.1 if I want), the look and feel of the system and all that good stuff. Super sexy looking machine with a 1080 sitting atop it. Even with 512k of Chip Ram, the A1000 is an awesome games system. Add a sidecar memory expansion for $30-$40 to give yourself 1-2mb of Fast RAM and there's very little the original Amiga cannot run. AGA aside or the few games that expect 1mb of Chip RAM that is. As an Amiga guy through and through, it's my opinion that AGA is over hyped from a gamers sense. Compared to most ECS versions of the same game, you'll be hard pressed to notice a difference. Not talking about the few AGA games that really shine, demo's or a pretty Workbench and such, just saying that the casual gamer first getting into the Amiga more than likely won't give a hoot about AGA. There are a few exclusives such as Pinball Illusions, so if you really think you have to have AGA support and easier expandability, especially hard drive wise, then I agree with Rob's assessment - go with an A1200. There's work-a-rounds for all these different systems to get your games going. Degrader and TUDE are a couple of invaluable programs this way, especially when wanting to switch between PAL/NTSC modes. A North American A1000 is NTSC all_day_long though, so if you plan on doing the WHDLoad and pirating thing - be prepared to deal with a ton of PAL stuff.

In other words, because of the Agnus chip inside the A1000, you cannot switch between PAL and NTSC. When playing PAL games on an NTSC A1000, expect to see the bottom portion (1/2" maybe) of your game chopped off and adjusting the screen doesn't help any. It's simply not there. :lol: Joking aside, it's not a tremendous deal. Depends on the game. Some games, you wouldn't even know the difference as they might not fill the entire screen anyway. Overscan, blah, blah, blah.

The A1000 in that guys auction above looks super clean. Considering all the extras it comes with, seems like a great deal to me. I suspect that auction will climb in value toward the end though. Upwards of $250-$300 I'd bet.

Edited by save2600
  • Like 1

Don't infect the thread with that crap, those are not Amiga's they are over priced PC's being pawned off as Amiga's.

But they are good alternatives if a person wants to replace there old PC and happen to like the look of the them, That is what I am thinking of doing, towers just take up to much room, maybe, depending of what they cost and what they come with.

• Like 1

Don't infect the thread with that crap, those are not Amiga's they are over priced PC's being pawned off as Amiga's.

But they are good alternatives if a person wants to replace there old PC and happen to like the look of the them, That is what I am thinking of doing, towers just take up to much room, maybe, depending of what they cost and what they come with.

There still seems to be no actual point. They would not be Amigas, and they would not even be "Amigas in name only" since nobody affiliated with Amiga has given consent. They would not be unique in a retro or modern way. They would just be PCs that happen to have an Amiga logo of some sort attached to them to see if that might help them sell.

If I thought people missed the British Leyland truck brand, I suppose I could see if I could take tractors and rebadge them with the Leyland logo and resell them. If you needed a tractor this might work out... But it's hard to understand the mindset of someone who buys the tractor because it's got the added value of a dead brand's logo on it and performs a kind of similar function...

At least with the C64 PC they are recreating the well-known case so you get the retro look.

Just wondering would the Lotus games, wing of Death, Project-X and Pinball Dreams work on a Amiga 1000 and were they released in the USA,might just get Amiga forever first and try out some of the games before I decide if I will put the money into getting the real thing, defiantly still like the 1000.

With compatibility what are your guys opinion of later models like the 2000 and 3000. Are they worth what people are asking for them on ebay. Also is it easier to find games for a Atari ST in the USA then a Amiga.

The 2000 can often be had cheaply and works fine (as well or better than a 1000) for games. The 3000 is tougher to find in good shape (due to battery leakage) and is overall prettier so demands more money. It and the 1000 are my personal favorites.

Amiga games are a bit less scarce than Atari ST games, but both can be found if you look. At one time I had about 300 ST games and 500 Amiga games (all complete with boxes) but have since sold the ST collection. It took about 3 years to reach that level if I recall.

There still seems to be no actual point. They would not be Amigas, and they would not even be "Amigas in name only" since nobody affiliated with Amiga has given consent. They would not be unique in a retro or modern way. They would just be PCs that happen to have an Amiga logo of some sort attached to them to see if that might help them sell.

I must admit, even as a non-Amiga owner (who has respect for the ol' Amiga), it is somewhat aggravating to see what they are doing. "Naive nostalgia" is their main ingredient, and that must be supplied by the customer, in order for the business model to fly. It's just a shame to see "1000" "2000" 3000" (etc) assigned to modern el-cheapo PC case, in stark contrast to the unique technology that was truly Amiga.

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 3

Just wondering would the Lotus games, wing of Death, Project-X and Pinball Dreams work on a Amiga 1000 and were they released in the USA,might just get Amiga forever first and try out some of the games before I decide if I will put the money into getting the real thing, defiantly still like the 1000.

I defer to Frank's post about PAL game compatibility. PAL games often work on US/Can. Amigas with no effort at all, but can have graphic elements cutoff.

My advice:

Get Amiga Forever Value edition (US$10) and a Legacy Engineering USB joystick ($26 shipped) and surf over to Dream 17 and pickup legal downloadable copies of Team 17 games like Project-X.

Play around, see if you like the Amiga experience and if you do, get a real Amiga.

You might also consider getting an Amiga 500 and monitor if you can find one cheaply locally or on eBay. If you aren't picky and get a badly yellowed one, you might find one cheap. This is another way of getting your feet wet and would give you a springboard you could use to make an informed decision as to whether an A1000 will work for you (an unexpanded A500 behaves nearly identically to an A1000.) The good news here is you could keep many accessories, software, etc. you get with (or obtain for) the A500 for use on a future A1000, and the 500 can become a good troubleshooting/test platform for the A1000.

I have just one Amiga 1000 (the one from earlier in this thread) but I have several Amiga 500s I keep around. They do the following jobs for me:

- Ready spare parts (CIA chips, 68000, etc.)

- Allow me to do A/B testing on chips and add ons. For example, to save wear and tear on the sockets of my A1000, if I buy an expansion that slaps on the side, or a chip upgrade (processor socket upgrade, Denise upgrade, etc.) I can pop it into one of the 500 systems first to test and configure it.

- Testing disks I get from eBay (aside from saving drive wear and tear, an A500 is easy to tuck away and pull out/setup at a moment's notice.)

- Showing off disks/games at retro shows when I feel like the A1000 is too delicate to truck around.

I must admit, even as a non-Amiga owner (who has respect for the ol' Amiga), it is somewhat aggravating to see what they are doing. "Naive nostalgia" is their main ingredient, and that must be supplied by the customer, in order for the business model to fly. It's just a shame to see "1000" "2000" 3000" (etc) assigned to modern el-cheapo PC case, in stark contrast to the unique technology that was truly Amiga.

I thought you picked up an Amiga at some point?

I defer to Frank's post about PAL game compatibility. PAL games often work on US/Can. Amigas with no effort at all, but can have graphic elements cutoff.

My advice:

Get Amiga Forever Value edition (US$10) and a Legacy Engineering USB joystick ($26 shipped) and surf over to Dream 17 and pickup legal downloadable copies of Team 17 games like Project-X.

Play around, see if you like the Amiga experience and if you do, get a real Amiga.

You might also consider getting an Amiga 500 and monitor if you can find one cheaply locally or on eBay. If you aren't picky and get a badly yellowed one, you might find one cheap. This is another way of getting your feet wet and would give you a springboard you could use to make an informed decision as to whether an A1000 will work for you (an unexpanded A500 behaves nearly identically to an A1000.) The good news here is you could keep many accessories, software, etc. you get with (or obtain for) the A500 for use on a future A1000, and the 500 can become a good troubleshooting/test platform for the A1000.

I have just one Amiga 1000 (the one from earlier in this thread) but I have several Amiga 500s I keep around. They do the following jobs for me:

- Ready spare parts (CIA chips, 68000, etc.)

- Allow me to do A/B testing on chips and add ons. For example, to save wear and tear on the sockets of my A1000, if I buy an expansion that slaps on the side, or a chip upgrade (processor socket upgrade, Denise upgrade, etc.) I can pop it into one of the 500 systems first to test and configure it.

- Testing disks I get from eBay (aside from saving drive wear and tear, an A500 is easy to tuck away and pull out/setup at a moment's notice.)

- Showing off disks/games at retro shows when I feel like the A1000 is too delicate to truck around.

could you list a link for Frank's pal game compatibility. Thanks.

I thought you picked up an Amiga at some point?

Hi Rob:

I picked up a "bad" one, so I had to part it out. I'm not opposed to another in the future, when I get some more time/money/space. What would be nice for the Amiga (and the ST, and the 8-bit Atari, and the C64....etc) would be a "permanent" web site that WALKS THE POTENTIAL NEW USER THROUGH with everything that they need to know, pictures, history, old developments, new developments, etc.... Basically, it would be great to have a page that brings the aspiring enthusiast up to speed with the state of things today, and how they got there. The "need" for such a site is served by threads such as this, which eventually fade into the past.

One of you die-hard Amiga fans (who's web-savvy) should put up a page like that - with lots of pictures, etc. I think it would be fun! That is, I think it would be fun; I lack expertise (on both the classic computer front, and the webpage-building front), but I know lots of you guys are the opposite. I already know the answer - Who has time/money for this? But it's just a thought about what would be cool, and it would certainly avoid a lot of the repeated questions, etc.

:)

could you list a link for Frank's pal game compatibility. Thanks.

I never came up with a list of PAL games that play fine on the A1000, but you can check out lemonamiga.com to see what was available in what format. OCS/ECS/AGA, etc. and check out some screen shots. From there, you should be able to discern what games wouldn't be a big deal on an NTSC only system.