IGNORED

Atari 2600 color issue...and hi!

flynnz

Hey all,

Been having issues with my 2600 and MaximunRD is always talking about AA and the people here knowing their stuff. So I figured I would post a vid of the problem I am having.

One of the things I forget to mention in the video is I don't get the issue by flexing the board on the right side, only the left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR0EhcyCZB8

Thank you all in advance.

-Flynn

yeah I did in fact check that screw. I even took it out and lifted that portion of the board away from the metal housing and it still did the same thing when the other portion of the board was flexed. But it does feel like it should be something along those lines. I just can't seem to find the source of the issue. I was also wondering if by flexing the board if I was pulling/pushing one of the legs out of a component. I guess I was hoping it was a common problem, which would have saved me some hassle hah.

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

In watching your video again on larger screen, I think your color setting on the console itself is off. The borders should be orange-like and blue pathways. Try Kaboom if you have it. The playfield will be bright green if settings are good. The color adjustment pot is accessible through one of the 2 holes on lefthand side of casting. Should be the upper one. If you look inside with a light, you'll see a round disc with a flat screwdriver slot in it. I've added a pic without the casting to help. It's near center of top on the pic.

post-25215-0-67441000-1302750711_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

yeah the color I think looks a bit off more than it is because of the cam. I think I may have found the problem though. One of the solder joints on the voltage regulator DOES in fact look suspect. After pushing the pin around from the solder side of the board I was able to get the same effect as the board flexing. So not 100% sure this is the problem, but it is looking good. (face palm at myself for missing it when I first inspected the solder points)

I will update after I bust out the ol' soldering iron.

One symptom of a failing regulator would be colors changing after warmup. I didn't memtion cracks or cold joints on that because you mentioned checking it. Sometimes, a crack forms in the trace right by the joint. I had one that I ran a jumper wire to it.