IGNORED

Ebay has over 1500 Apple II items for sale

Keatah

I've been trolling eBay for a couple of months for Apple II stuff, and it's true that there is a lot of stuff that just keeps being relisted at ridiculous prices. I started just using the "auctions only" tab, and that cuts down on the silly listings quite a bit.

There's still a lot of worth while things that go by, though. I just can't afford to buy all the nice stuff I'd like to have. :)

And there's some pretty wild auctions, too. I bought an Apple-branded joystick NIB for twenty something dollars, and a couple of weeks later one just like it went for over $60 IIRC. And then there was the recent auction for 23 NIB games that went over $600. Not a bad deal if you liked them all, but I imagine whoever bought them will end up relisting them individually at outrageous BIN prices.

Heh...here's a good one. "Apple II Gs video player"

I agree that the number of Apple II auctions with laughable BIN prices have increased in the last eighteen months or so, but good deals can still be found...if you spend a fair amount of time looking. I was able to pick up a very clean DuoDisk for my IIe several months ago on eBay for $40, which IMO is reasonable.

One thing I don't understand is why there are so many auctions (in general) with high BIN prices that keep getting re-listed over and over again with no or very little (>2%) reduction in price. I haven't sold anything on eBay in almost 10 years; don't they charge you a listing fee if your item goes unsold?

You mean something like this http://tinyurl.com/4x26o8u

the Limited edition Woz IIgs is not really all that limited nor is it rare. This guy does not list anything about the system he is selling. heck it doesn't even come with a monitor judging from the pictures.

For that price

1. it better come with every rare and hard to find expansion cards for the IIgs

2. those cards better be made out of gold.

3. it better include a monitor.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=apple+circuit+description&_sacat=See-All-Categories -- This book has been listed here for several years as far as I remember. There was also the same book listed by someone else for $69.00 and I don't think it sold either.

And THIS one, it is a re-print and no pictures posted -- eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1806563629871?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=180656362987&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Sometimes when you find an Apple II in the flea-market trash bin, they are often equipped with one of these standard z80 cards -- eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1806563629871?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=180656362987&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

TASC diskette only -- eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3702325799021?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=370232579902&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Speaking of books, I was looking for the hardback (Addison-Wesley) ProDOS 8 Technical Reference Manual and I could only find it at used book stores for $200+. Then it came up on eBay and I got it for $5.50. The dust jacket's a little yellowed, but otherwise it's in perfect condition.

So it can go either way. The key seems to be to only look at the true auctions. BINs seem to generally be used by sellers who would rather keep their merchandise than sell it for a reasonable profit.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This thread kind of kills my hopes...lol. I recently purchased an Apple IIe, and couldn't find a decent deal to save my life on ebay. I was a little shocked that the prices were so nutty on software with as long a production run as it had.

I got a //e platinum for $40, including a newer Disk II. There are deals to be had, if a person looks. I just did a search on the machine every week or so, and found one that suited me. There are a lot of goofy expensive things out there that can be avoided.

I got a //e platinum for $40, including a newer Disk II. There are deals to be had, if a person looks. I just did a search on the machine every week or so, and found one that suited me. There are a lot of goofy expensive things out there that can be avoided.

I paid about $4 for a full Apple IIe setup (color monitor, dual flopy drives, joystick and mouse) from a secondhand shop. After doing some research I found out that there is an Apple II convention held here in Kansas every year...but after looking at some of the crazy prices, I don't know if it would be worth trying to attend. Is it that ebay is just an anomaly and real world (outside ebay) prices are much lower?

Edited by Kreeboy

I've not seen Apple computers in the wild here much at all. Did see one in the "by the pound" good will. By the time I got to it, all the parts were scattered about, monitor scratched, and a few keys missing off the keyboard. :(

I would try the fest, if I were there. It's catered and such, which is why they want the bucks. Probably a good event.

Eventually, after a few more generations, many of the Apple ][ systems will fall into estate sales and giveaways, and end up in goodwill shops and garge sales. They will get mis-handled and trashed enough that the price is next to free. Some of these will get fixed-up by collectors and hobbyists. Some will get e-cycled, others, like the ones around here, will just go to the dumpster.

The market supply will eventually dry up and then the price increases will be valid and worthy of whatever is being asked. For now, though, I would not spend more then $10.00 on any single piece of hardware unless it was a specialty card such as a Saybrook Analytical Engines 68000 board, or perhaps the Sprite and Arcade cards. Hell, the PC Transporter card and Transwarp Cards are far cheaper now then even a few short years ago.

A NIB Gibson light pen system - 25.00, Mountain Music System cards-software-manual-lightpen, 50 bucks tops. You can't GIVE AWAY the Alpha Syntauri Keyboard either.

MicroModem ][, with box, dox, and disk - $10.00

Complete Apple-Cat II modem with box,dox,disk,212,BSR,expansion module,firmware rom,touch-tone encoder, $50 again.

Videx Kit consisting of NIB material, Enhancer][, function-strip, video-term, ultra-term, and manuals,disks, Lower-case chip, all nib. I might be able to get $40 for it all. Perhaps.

Video Overlay card, a box of them, Could be parted out for maybe $20 each.

Zip chips - you think a hundred bucks? Think $20!

I recently dumped some Apple ///+ computers, working, for $75 each.

I sold a modified (soldered-in chips for reliability) for $90.

And during one sale, I offered some of the Amdek 300 color monitors for a negative price. Meaning, I'll give you a discount *if* you take the monitors off my hands. Just get rid of them.

I got lucky, and came across a buyer for one of my Saturn Navigator disks. This is from subLogic and apparently it was worth something at $225.00 The old codger, some engineer type, snagged it like it was gold! Well, more power to him. An oddity, an abberation.

None of that stuff is really worth the trouble to sell.

Folks, the stuff ain't movin! Not till 80 or 90 percent of the garbage changing hands ends up IN THE GARBAGE, and rarity takes on its true meaning. Then it will be worth something. But like old Pentium-based computers, this is all e-waste. I predict Apple II's being e-waste for another 10 years at least. Then the remaining stuff, if if good condition will finally be worth what it was when it purchased new. And eventually, god know how long, it might go beyond that price.

Meantime I'll keep my delusions of grandeur about steve jobs coming over to see my collection of II'series hardware and hosting an historical keynote conference in my basement on hold..

Edited by Keatah

Kansasfest is supposed to be a really good get together for Apple II fans. This will be the 22nd year that it has been held and there is lots of interesting things that happen there. Just one example for this year's KFest, Vince Briel has put together a card for the Apple II that lets you play MP3's on the Apple II. He's going to host a class at KFest for interested people to build their own version of the card, before he starts selling them.

Some year I'll make it to KFest, I live in western Oklahoma so it's not that long a trip, it's more a matter of the time and money.

Dean

Keatah is right - with the exception of the Corvus Constellation gear. The drives can be connected with the Atari 800 with the appropriate interface & software. One would think there is someone out there buying up all the Apple gear at flea markets, and selling it in a retro superstore. Just not at these prices.

http://www.vintagemicros.com/

Kansasfest is supposed to be a really good get together for Apple II fans. This will be the 22nd year that it has been held and there is lots of interesting things that happen there. Just one example for this year's KFest, Vince Briel has put together a card for the Apple II that lets you play MP3's on the Apple II. He's going to host a class at KFest for interested people to build their own version of the card, before he starts selling them.

Some year I'll make it to KFest, I live in western Oklahoma so it's not that long a trip, it's more a matter of the time and money.

Dean

Price of admission is the only thing that's holding me back...and I only live 30mins from where its held. I could see it if I were a die hard fan, but I just got into this. I haven't even seen one of theses since middle school back in the 80s...lol

Maybe next year if I get more involved with it, can get some software, and can pull the cash together to attend.

Haha!! Even the Corvus systems. I had a stack of 5,6,11 MB drives and I couldn't GIVE THEM AWAY with a discount on the other stuff I sold off. The cost of shipping was too much, even when I cut it in half. I hated to trash them. There simply wasn't a market for them a year ago. Perhaps now, with the Atari interface.

Either way. It will be a long +10 years before any production Apple hardware from the 70's and 80's is worth selling.

As far as a retro-store opening. I can see that happening then too. But, now, the market is the homebrew scene. What I mean by that is new software/cartridges. And some new hardware to interface older computers with newer drives and displays. The reverse is also true too, a market exists for taking the old peripherals and interfacing them to non-matching hardware (or modern day pc).

Now, the actual hardware? Beyond the motherboard and case, there is little value.

For example, who would want to interface a mountain hardware music system to a modern pc via USB?? Ain't gonna happen.

Edited by Keatah

That is a tragedy about the Constellation drives. By the end of June we should see inexpensive Atari-Corvus interface + software available. I'm sending my interface to an AA user for replication. And if you come across anymore drives, please let me know. I'll gladly pay for shipping for the sake of making free drives available to others :)

BINs seem to generally be used by sellers who would rather keep their merchandise than sell it for a reasonable profit.

They're frequently people who make money by selling old computer gear to businesses who have an old system they can no longer get parts for, and are willing to pay a premium price to get the machine going again when it fails. The problem is, many of these sellers don't know (or necessarily care) what systems tended to end up where, so just because a card out of an IBM PC/AT sold for a few hundred bucks, they figure an Apple card of about the same age must be worth that too.

Is it that ebay is just an anomaly and real world (outside ebay) prices are much lower?

Generally speaking, yes. A few dollars per card is far more typical elsewhere. On eBay, you're paying for the privilege of being able to get exactly what you want and have it overnighted. That's great if you run a factory and it has a system that runs on an IBM PC/AT and there's no upgrade path. For a hobbyist.... You're better off being patient and seeing what shows up at the next swap meet, or at a thrift, or wherever else you like to look.

Eventually, after a few more generations, many of the Apple ][ systems will fall into estate sales and giveaways, and end up in goodwill shops and garge sales. They will get mis-handled and trashed enough that the price is next to free. Some of these will get fixed-up by collectors and hobbyists. Some will get e-cycled, others, like the ones around here, will just go to the dumpster.

They're there now, to a degree. The people who liquidate estates don't really know what to do with them or how to price them. I saw an estate last year that had a IIe and IIgs, and another one that had an IBM PC or PC/XT (I didn't pay enough attention), and so far this year I've seen a Tandy Color Computer 2 in box, a handful of nice 386 clones (some nice brands like CompuAdd and some no-names) and a fairly nice IBM PCjr. But the prices are usually too high. In some instances, someone could show up 30 minutes before closing and offer 10 bucks and they'd probably walk away with a computer. After the system sits all weekend with no queries, they'll probably get the message that their prices are too high. But there aren't a lot of people who collect this stuff. Certainly not like the people who collect old cameras and old toys and stuff like that.

The danger is that they'll just automatically send all old computers to the recycler because they never sell and nobody ever asks about them. They're in kind of a Catch-22. There aren't enough vintage computers at estate sales yet to attract collector interest (In my experience it's maybe 1 in 20 sales that have one), and without the collector interest, estate sale companies may decide they just aren't worth bothering with.

At the sale that had the overpriced Apple IIs, I bought a nice Microsoft optical mouse for a dollar. The mouse was priced too low, and those computers were priced too high.

Or maybe what's happening is pickers are spending $100 for an overpriced computer at an estate sale, then trying to squeeze $300 out of it by selling the parts on eBay. Hmm....

This thread kind of kills my hopes...lol. I recently purchased an Apple IIe, and couldn't find a decent deal to save my life on ebay. I was a little shocked that the prices were so nutty on software with as long a production run as it had.

I don't know much about the Apple II or its prices, but you might check out the Video 61 website. I'm pretty sure that he has some Apple II software new in box for sale. I'm not sure how his prices compare to ebay, but it's worth a look. You can order from him online or over the phone. He is always helpful and quick to ship when I order Atari 8-bit, 2600, and 7800 stuff. Hopefully his prices are better than ebay prices :)

I don't know much about the Apple II or its prices, but you might check out the Video 61 website. I'm pretty sure that he has some Apple II software new in box for sale. I'm not sure how his prices compare to ebay, but it's worth a look. You can order from him online or over the phone. He is always helpful and quick to ship when I order Atari 8-bit, 2600, and 7800 stuff. Hopefully his prices are better than ebay prices :)

Cool thanks for the heads up...I will check it out. ^_^

That is a tragedy about the Constellation drives. By the end of June we should see inexpensive Atari-Corvus interface + software available. I'm sending my interface to an AA user for replication. And if you come across anymore drives, please let me know. I'll gladly pay for shipping for the sake of making free drives available to others :)

of course!