IGNORED

7800 questions

eric648

Hello, I am very new to Atari consoles and I just bought my first 7800. I do have some questions about it:

1. Is it normal for the cartridges to "stick" in the console? They are a pain to get in and even worse to get out.

2. What options are there for video output without modification?

3. How do you open cartridges? I ordered a copy of Dig-Dug and it seems that the internals have shifted and the pins are not in their proper position. I think I could fix it if I could open the cartridge, but I don't want to break anything.

Its normal for them to be a little tight, but you should't have a real hard time with it. Some games are made with thicket plastic it would seem. If its with every game you might just want to make sure there isn't extra "gunk" on the slot. If its just a few games compare them to others, they might just be the thicker cases.

I have a question too though for others that will read this. What is the expansion port on my 7800 used for? I know they don't all have it and thats all I have really found out about it.

The cartridges shouldn't get stuck. Some will be tighter than others, but they should not stick like that. You should check the cartridge guide cup around the connector to see if it's cracked and maybe grabbing on a corner of the carts or something. You can probably just file it down a bit.

Video out options:

1 - the regular coaxial cable to switchbox the 7800 came with.

2 - a direct RCA to COAX adapter from Radio shack:

RCACOAXMF.Blarge.jpg

3 -Mod it and never look back.

As far as opening the cart - there should be a screw hole under the label in the center of the cart. It's a Phillips head screw. You will have to ruin the label to remove it.

The Expansion port was never used. There are rumors that at one point a LaserDisc adapter for Dragon's Lair type games would be made for it, but it never materialized. Currently, you can use some of the contacts of the expansion port in building a composite video mod on the cheap.

Edited by Underball

I can verify that some cartridges do get "stuck" in the slot. This is because the cartridge collar on the 7800 was made narrower than that of the 2600. Games manufactured by Atari should pose no problem, unless the cartridge shell was warped over time, or improperly casted at time of creation.

The problems come with some of the 3rd party games. Konami, Tigervision and M-Network games either won't fit (don't force them!!!) or fit in snugly and then won't come out. Additionally, some other random titles like Tooth Protectors won't even fit!

There are only two solutions I know of to fix this.

a. Buy a 2600

b. Open up your 7800 and carefully cut slits in the corners of the cartridge collar. This will add the "wiggle room" you need for those games. But this can eventually cause your cartridge collar to have problems (ie: loose fit).

That's the best advice I can give ya! I would suggest option A, as I am never in favor of damaging a perfectly good console.

Ok well the carts aren't too difficult to get out, they are just worse than I am used to with other consoles such as the Genesis. Has anyone tried this mod? S-video would definitely be preference and it doesn't seem too bad to install.

There have been conflicting reports about the quality of that mod - some say it's great, some say it's terrible. But pretty much everyone complained about ridiculously long wait times for delivery. Like several months, to well over a year from when payment was received. Procede with caution.