IGNORED

Best Electronics 7800 - Pokey with XM Expansion Module

thursday83

I recently purchased a new 7800 with a composite video mod on it from Best Electronics. Works great, looks great, new unit, etc.....except that whatever they did, it doesn't play the audio on games with Pokey audio. Ballblazer, Commando, Original Beef Drop.....

I called them, spoke with Brad, as I thought I was having cabling issues or something else, then realized that all of the other games work fine. Brad said when I send him an email, he will send back the specs on how to re-solder the chip correctly inside the console in order to make the Pokey work. I don't know how to solder, and he said he's backed up for months if I shipped it out to them, at another additional expense.

My question is - since the XM Expansion Module is coming - ordered mine on 9/21 - and it has the Pokey chip built in - will this solve the problem when connected to the 7800 - in other words so I don't have to open my console and mess with the inside of it - I asked Brad this and he didn't know the answer seeing as this new product hasn't come out yet. So, when I connect the XM to the 7800 - will my Pokey sound come back even though it's not working on the original unit? I am hoping so, really don't want to mess with the wiring.

Thanks, if anyone can shed some light on this - it would be great - I assume probably only Curt would know, maybe I should just PM him - wondering if this also happened to anyone else though.

thursday83

HI,

No, something internally is not connecting the External Audio pin from the cartridge slot to the 7800 motherboard to this composite mod, so that connection needs to be made to the motherboard to pick up the external audio line from the Pokey from cartridges the same as it will pick up audio from the Pokey within the XM as well as the Yamaha Processor with the XM as well since they are both on an audio summation circuit going to the EAUD line on the cartridge port.

Curt

I recently purchased a new 7800 with a composite video mod on it from Best Electronics. Works great, looks great, new unit, etc.....except that whatever they did, it doesn't play the audio on games with Pokey audio. Ballblazer, Commando, Original Beef Drop.....

I called them, spoke with Brad, as I thought I was having cabling issues or something else, then realized that all of the other games work fine. Brad said when I send him an email, he will send back the specs on how to re-solder the chip correctly inside the console in order to make the Pokey work. I don't know how to solder, and he said he's backed up for months if I shipped it out to them, at another additional expense.

My question is - since the XM Expansion Module is coming - ordered mine on 9/21 - and it has the Pokey chip built in - will this solve the problem when connected to the 7800 - in other words so I don't have to open my console and mess with the inside of it - I asked Brad this and he didn't know the answer seeing as this new product hasn't come out yet. So, when I connect the XM to the 7800 - will my Pokey sound come back even though it's not working on the original unit? I am hoping so, really don't want to mess with the wiring.

Thanks, if anyone can shed some light on this - it would be great - I assume probably only Curt would know, maybe I should just PM him - wondering if this also happened to anyone else though.

thursday83

thursday83

I am going to guess you bought one of the Best Electronics reconditioned systems with 90 day warranty. Sounds like the system came with a defect from Best Electronics. Now Best is a small shop so I don't expect 1-5 day turn around but within 2-4 weeks at the most it should come back. The repair he is suggesting you do yourself shouldn't take months even if they are backed up since as it sounds it's a simple re soldering job.

What I (and I stress the I) would do is Email Best back saying - " Thank you for the response, I wish I could easily solder it as suggested but honestly I don't feel comfortable doing solder work and would hate to make anything worse with the system then it already is. I understand you are backed up but I really would like this professionally repaired under the Best 90 day Warranty. I could live without it for a few weeks from the day I shipped, would that be enough time for you to fix it and ship it back to me? If the system can not be turned around in a few weeks can I just send it back and you send me out a working replacement that is ready to for an exchange?"

The above statement from my perspective is very fair to both parties (though paying shipping back isn't fun).

Edited by Pilsner73
  • Like 2

thursday83

I am going to guess you bought one of the Best Electronics reconditioned systems with 90 day warranty. Sounds like the system came with a defect from Best Electronics. Now Best is a small shop so I don't expect 1-5 day turn around but within 2-4 weeks at the most it should come back. The repair he is suggesting you do yourself shouldn't take months even if they are backed up since as it sounds it's a simple re soldering job.

What I (and I stress the I) would do is Email Best back saying - " Thank you for the response, I wish I could easily solder it as suggested but honestly I don't feel comfortable doing solder work and would hate to make anything worse with the system then it already is. I understand you are backed up but I really would like this professionally repaired under the Best 90 day Warranty. I could live without it for a few weeks from the day I shipped, would that be enough time for you to fix it and ship it back to me? If the system can not be turned around in a few weeks can I just send it back and you send me out a working replacement that is ready to for an exchange?"

The above statement from my perspective is very fair to both parties (though paying shipping back isn't fun).

It was ordered on 9/21. That's more than 90 days ago.

I'd be interested to see what sort of documentation he sends thursday83.

thursday83

I thought he said he ordered the 7800 Expnasion Module on 9/21 and just got the 7800 system very recently. If the system is out of warranty I bet there are some good citizens of this forum who might possibly be able to help him out.

Edited by Pilsner73

thursday83

I thought he said he ordered the 7800 Expnasion Module on 9/21 and just got the 7800 system very recently. If the system is out of warranty I bet there are some good citizens of this forum who might possibly be able to help him out.

Duh, you're right.

Yeah, pilsner hit the nail on the head, Christ, I should just copy and paste what be said. And yes, the xm module was ordered on 9/21, and yes this order from BE is more recent. But it may be past 90 days, I think it is. I tour for a living.....maybe I get the screwjob on this one, or maybe I get a buddy to solder according to spec. Haven't seen that yet though, from Brad from Best Electronics.

Just a warning to anyone considering getting a 7800 with video mod from Best. I ordered one and just sent it back. The video output was terrible. Totally unplayable. They will probably resell that unit as is. I got a refund minus shipping and insurance charges (about $20). So not a good experience. Avoid.

Yeah, it looks like what I said when someone first posted the link to Best selling these a while ago. They took the Easier 7800 composite video mod instructions a few of us worked on, and started selling them put together. Sadly, it seems they aren't checking their work. Not all console revisions play nicely where the video tap and +5v locations on the mother board are concerned. Bummer.

Just a warning to anyone considering getting a 7800 with video mod from Best. I ordered one and just sent it back. The video output was terrible. Totally unplayable. They will probably resell that unit as is. I got a refund minus shipping and insurance charges (about $20). So not a good experience. Avoid.

I was going to get a heavy sixer with video mod from them.

Think I should stay away?? I already had to send a jag back

after only a couple weeks. Was supposed to brand new. Now

kind of worried about heavy sixer with video mod if 7800 mod sucks.

I have done the composite video mod to my 7800 and it is pretty good IMO, not quite as good as the original longhorn engineer mod, but that was S-video.

If I get time I will post some screen shots

I had a S-Video mod done on my 7800 a few years back I don't remember who did it someone here on AA. How would I know if mine was done correctly in regards to Pokey with the XM?

I don't really understand how Pokey really works. :?

• 4 weeks later...

thursday83

planning on installing the longhorn engineer mod on my 7800

will pokey games sound?