IGNORED

Newly Aquired Light Sixer 'spares or repair' Video Porblem

Oliver

Hi there,

Just got a VCS sold as spares or repair. It looked as though it had been kept in a damp environment as the switches and alloy shielding was covered in white corrosion.

I stripped and cleaned it carefully and it does work although the best i can get is a very poor image on screen. I have tried adjusting the RF modulator and have resoldered a number of dry looking joints.

Any ideas? Knackered RF modulator?

Any advice much appreciated.

KR,

Oliver

post-26429-0-50534200-1304615179_thumb.jpg

post-26429-0-04230100-1304615190_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the advice so far.

Unfortunately I momentarily forgot the saying 'if it isnt broke don't fix it'. Whilst waiting for my new capacitors of various types to be delivered I replaced the voltage regulator. I just could not restrain my soldering iron.

I wish I had left it alone. Now I am only getting a blank (black) screen when I power up the console. Any ideas what I have blown up? I have refitted the original VR to no avail.

I am determined to fix this, and have the field service manual. Unfortunately although I rate my soldering skills pretty highly I am obviously crap at fault finding!!!

Please help, tell me what to replace!

Summary of symptoms: Black screen on power up.

KR,

Oliver

PS this is the VR I used:

7805 5 volt Voltage Regulator I.C.

Voltage Regulator Type:3-Terminal Fixed Positive

• Max Input Voltage:25V
  • Max Output Voltage:5V
  • Max Output Current:1.5A
  • Dropout voltage:2V
  • No. of Outputs:1
  • Min Supply Voltage:7V
  • Max Supply Voltage:25V
  • Termination Type:Through Hole
  • Case Style:TO-220
  • No. of Pins:3
  • Operating Temperature Range:0°C to +125°C
  • Max Operating Temperature:125°C
  • Min Temperature Operating:0°C
  • Base Number:7805
  • IC Generic Number:7805
  • Logic Function Number:7805
  • Min Input Voltage:7V
  • Output Voltage:5V
  • Voltage Regulator IC Case Style:TO-220
  • Voltage:5V

Edited by Oliver

I'm wondering if you didn't accidentally bridge a terminal and fry a chip. :ponder:

Black screen is usually (not always but...)the sign of fried IC. Or could be just loose. Try reseating the chips and check for breaks in the traces by v-regulator.

I'm wondering if you didn't accidentally bridge a terminal and fry a chip. :ponder:

Black screen is usually (not always but...)the sign of fried IC. Or could be just loose. Try reseating the chips and check for breaks in the traces by v-regulator.

Thanks for that. I have an Atari 1050 drive which I think has a 6507 if so I could try changing that.

Thanks for that. I have an Atari 1050 drive which I think has a 6507 if so I could try changing that.

6532 ;)