IGNORED

160K - The Hard Way

fibrewire

Just how upgradable WAS the Atari 800 in the early 1980s?

* Can I put an Axlon 32K in slot 1, and an Axlon 128K in slot 2?

-- No. RamCRAM and RamPOWER are identical boards requiring a 16K module in Slot 1, although RamPOWER is labeled a "Rev. B RamCRAM" on the PCB. RamCRAM and RamPOWER will not work in Slot 1 without modification, and will NOT work with Axlon 128K in any slot after modification.

* Can I use a Bit 3 with the Axlon 128K RamDISK?

-- Yes. Bit 3 Full-View 80 requires the -EXSEL line, so it must be in Slot 3. An Atari 16K Module or compatible 32K board must be in Slot 1. By default, the Axlon 128K RamDisk must be in Slot 2 to function correctly with the Bit 3 board.

* With this configuration will I have the full 32K of ram + bank selectable ram?

-- Yes. Axlon 128K RamDisk does function correctly in Slot 2 for a total of 160K.

I don't know about the RAMPOWER 32 but the Intec 32K board will work in that config. On the Axlon 32K board, check whether edge pin M is connected to edge pin 18. If so, it's just a renamed RAMCRAM. You can modify it to work in your config by cutting the connection between M and 18 but leave 18 connected to chip L2. Then connect M to edge pin T.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm happy to say that the Bit 3 + Axlon 128K RamDisk work together successfully, but an unmodified Axlon 32K RamPower needs an Atari 16K module to function. After ClausB verifies the board type, I will make the necessary modifications to the 32K Axlon board to make it a stand alone module for Slot 1. Bit 3 gives you an extra 4K, so if this works, this will be a 36K + 128K + 80 Column 'Jay Miner' Atari.

Here are the pics of the RamPOWER (Revision B RamCram) board.

post-27823-0-95094900-1306210230_thumb.jpg

post-27823-0-55291900-1306210247_thumb.jpg

What would really be useful is a way to modify the Atari 48K upgrade card to work in Slot 1 WITHOUT putting jumper wires on the motherboard, so that other upgrades like Axlon 128K and Bit 3 could still be used.

I really like the idea of a 180K 'Jay Miner'

Bit 3 gives you an extra 4K, so if this works, this will be a 36K + 128K + 80 Column 'Jay Miner' Atari.

The Bit 3 does not add any additional memory to the 800 so I don't know where this came from.

...BTW, now that you have emerged with your fangs wide-open :-)...

...I recall reading some wonderful creations you had in mind for the "JayMiner" 800... Any hopes they will ever be in the reach of the "masses"? :-)

F.

I don't know about the RAMPOWER 32 but the Intec 32K board will work in that config. On the Axlon 32K board, check whether edge pin M is connected to edge pin 18. If so, it's just a renamed RAMCRAM. You can modify it to work in your config by cutting the connection between M and 18 but leave 18 connected to chip L2. Then connect M to edge pin T.

I took a closer look at the Axlon 128K board and saw that I was mistaken. If you modify the Axlon 32K board as above it will not work with the 128K board, although it will work in slot 1 with 16K in slot 2 and it will still work in a 400.

However the Intec 32K board should work in slot 1 with the Axlon 128K board in slot 2, so you could modify the Axlon 32K to work that way. I'll post instructions later.

The Bit 3 does not add any additional memory to the 800 so I don't know where this came from.

I think I read it in the instructions.

For now read this post, although he does mention DOS XL - I'll scan the Bit 3 Corporation Full-View 80 manual shortly, I could be mistaken.

I think I read it in the instructions.

For now read this post, although he does mention DOS XL - I'll scan the Bit 3 Corporation Full-View 80 manual shortly, I could be mistaken.

I guess the extra 4K memory probably only magically appears on a "Jay Miner" 800 because on the unremarkable "Atari" 800, the Bit 3 board only physically contains 2K of static RAM which is the local screen memory to the CRTC and not the system address space.

For now read page 28 of the Bit 3 manual. I could be mistaken.

Ahh, I see. Sorry for underlining the manual name. I did not mean to add an emphatic undertone to the title of the manual, I meant it as a placeholder for the manual download after I scan it.

Thanks for clearing that up with the nonexistant 4K, I thought it strange that the video board would add any ram to the machine.

Oh, and I was stating "Jay Miner" to represent the 1979 4-port Atari 800. I thought people that read this thread may confuse it with the other Atari 8-bit computers, but its not necessary.

I edited the original post to reflect these changes.

Thanks Warerat.

Well, I'm happy to say that the Bit 3 + Axlon 128K RamDisk work together successfully, but an unmodified Axlon 32K RamPower needs an Atari 16K module to function. After ClausB verifies the board type, I will make the necessary modifications to the 32K Axlon board to make it a stand alone module for Slot 1. Bit 3 gives you an extra 4K, so if this works, this will be a 36K + 128K + 80 Column 'Jay Miner' Atari.

Here's how to modify the Axlon 32K board to work in slot 1 with the Axlon 128K board in slot 2: Cut the connection between M and 18 but leave 18 connected to chip L2. Then connect M to pin 3 of L2.

post-18605-0-88549500-1306582878_thumb.jpgpost-18605-0-28206700-1306582915_thumb.jpg

Cut the trace shown at the red mark. Solder a wire between the two points shown (remove the chip at L2 from its socket before soldering and then plug it back in afterward).

Edited by ClausB

• 6 months later...