IGNORED

Shipping Charges on Ebay

kheffington

Decent set of games, considering the titles worth the buy it now price of $30 if the carts work and labels are in good shape. But $16 for shipping 17 carts?

Springer, Miner 2049er and Frogger II in there.

So if someone wants them and willing to pay $46 here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1947339748

He also has another decent set on there with cosmic corridor.

I've recently done that and got highly annoyed with the internet postal quoting service when it quoted me $11AU and was only $AU3.85. I was pissed off when I found out that and lodged a complaint to our postal service. Luckly, they refunded me $5.50 whihc I refunded to the guy tha bought my product!!!

I might email him, I'm only like 20-30 minutes away from the seller. I had the same situation a few months ago bought a large set of joysticks for cheap $11, guy wanted $15 for shipping, I offered to pick them up locally but he made up a bunch of excuses (vacation, etc.). Sure enough, got them shipped parcel post for like $9. Some people will do anything for a few $ but I will never bid on his auctions again.

Heh I just bought 'em. Yeah the shipping sucks, but it's a good set of games. Just the Springer on its own is pretty much worth it!

Even with the $16 shipping the games "may" be a good deal. That depends on if they are in working condition (probably) and if the labels are in good shape. Note he did not say in the auction the condition of the carts. Hope you got good games not beat up stuff.

Even with the $16 shipping the games "may" be a good deal.  That depends on if they are in working condition (probably) and if the labels are in good shape.   Note he did not say in the auction the condition of the carts.   Hope you got good games not beat up stuff.

Yeah I did actually take a look at the seller's feedback before I placed the bid, he's sold some Atari games before and has good feedback for those auctions, so I expect they'll be in at least "average" condition.

Yeah I did actually take a look at the seller's feedback before I placed the bid, he's sold some Atari games before and has good feedback for those auctions, so I expect they'll be in at least "average" condition.

Out of curiosity, can you post after you received them and state the condition of the items?

Decent set of games, considering the titles worth the buy it now price of $30 if the carts work and labels are in good shape.  But $16 for shipping 17 carts?

Springer, Miner 2049er and Frogger II in there.

So if someone wants them and willing to pay $46 here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1947339748

He also has another decent set on there with cosmic corridor.

That first set definitely isn't worth it though. Out of what he listed, I've gotten all of the following for .50, 1.00 or in trade:

* Pitfall II, Sorceror, Squeeze Box, Eggomania, Cruise Missile, Oscar's Trash Race, Porky's.

I did pay a small premium for my copy of Survival Run, but it had the end label affixed and it reads "Milton Bradley Canada" to boot. I bought my Miner 2049er for $15. The Lost Luggage and the Frogger II, well, those are probably worth something - but it's not worth it because this guy is a scam artist. There's no way in blue hell it costs $17 to ship 16 carts when I can ship sylverfyre 60 for $15.15 (priority, no less).

Agreed. This is a form of fee avoidance and should be reported. I personally refuse to bid on items with shipping terms like that unless its REALLY something good but from my point of view, $16 US shipping is going to cost me around $25!

You're right too, the buyer will probably get a package with $3 - $5 on it for media mail.

I got a reply from the seller, he avoided the whole high shipping questions but said he is fine with local pickup because he runs a shop at the flea market every weekend. So maybe he's a little reasonable and can be barginned with. Anyways, now I might have to check out his booth at the market this weekend :)

dont you kno they charge xtra for "labor" and waiting in line at the post office? and for gas?

fukin bastards -

but thats ok, cuz when im selling stuff that others are, everyone will see my cheaper shipping costs and xillent feedback and their items wont sell :D

so in a way its good to have idiots like them :)

Here's an ebayer who is manipulating S&H fees to his advantage:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1946959411

He has a few of these up right now.  He probably figures no one will look at the shipping fees in the fine print and realize that he could ship a cart first class mail for 0.76 and make a nice profit anyway.

I do love people like this. I have an example of someone who was doing something similar. He ordered comic statue busts for clearance at like $2-5 each. He would then sell the statues with the buy it now for exactly what he paid. He then put a shipping charge of $15.00 and put in the auction that buying multiples will not reduce the shipping on each item. Each one is $15.00 shipping and cannot be packaged together.

Bunch of scammers, but you know what? They get away with it because it's not illegal. Maybe immoral, but not illegal. And when you buy from them, you are abiding by their terms.

We had a similar problem on our end as a seller. We were selling a brand new sealed Duke Nukem figure. Our shipping cost is $5.75. The buyer wins the item at $2.99, then leaves us negative fb because he says the p.o. charges $3.00 for media mail on this item.

We then left him negative fb stating that you can't ship an action figure media mail because the damn thing is not media. Fargin idiots out there.

Phil

We had a similar problem on our end as a seller. We were selling a brand new sealed Duke Nukem figure. Our shipping cost is $5.75. The buyer wins the item at $2.99, then leaves us negative fb because he says the p.o. charges $3.00 for media mail on this item.

We then left him negative fb stating that you can't ship an action figure media mail because the damn thing is not media. Fargin idiots out there.

Phil

Didn't you know you could put a Duke Nukem figure into a VCR or game system?

I hope you also replied to his negative feedback and contacted Ebay. What an idiot. Ebay attracts all kinds.

As a Canadian seller, the post office burns me. I have to start putting in my auctions a different, higher price for shipping within my own country.

For example I just sold 3 games and quoted a $3.00 US shipping price in the auction for Canada and the US.

Well the winner turns out to be from B.C.

Shipping these 3 games cost $7.70 Cdn. Just a small package under 1 kilo.

The same package anywhere in the US - $4.25 Cdn. (which was why I quoted $3.00 US) Thats a $3.45 difference!!!

Its insane that it costs more to ship the same package WITHIN MY OWN COUNTRY as opposed to the US. I think its because we have no small packet mail in Canada.

This one really gets me. Normally, I wouldn't invest as much time as I have, but the more I thought about it, the more this situation got to me.

This guy has some stuff up on EBay. I was origionally interested in the manuals he had for sale, but at 9.25 for shipping, I kind of thought twice. After reading this thread, I went back to his auction and took a peek at what else he was offering. Not only are his rates absurd, he refuses to combine shipping. Here is a link to the origional auction that I was interested in...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1947155013

Check his other auctions and note the shipping charges.

Here is the email chain that went back and forth. They are in reverse order, but you'll get the idea. I live within 15 minutes of this guy and he refuses to let me pick the items up. I'll get ganked on shipping when it will cost him less that 25% of what he is charging to send me the stuff. $9.25 to ship those catalogues? I just don't understand it. Just keep an eye out for shipping stuff like this...

(This is my last correspondence on the subject)

Well that is fine. Conduct as you see fit.

I also sell stuff on EBay. I just sold a 2600 system with all controllers,

and 159 games. Shipping on that via Parcel Post was $17.84 from

Pennsylvania to Texas. Believe me, that weighed a lot more than 16

joysticks does, and it is cheaper that the $20 you are charging.

I keep myself VERY appraised of the current postal rates, thank you very

much.

I also keep myself in tune with the rest of the EBay community. Not

offering to combine shipping is just not a good way to do business,

especially when the rates are abnormally high to begin with.

Best of luck to you on the sale of your auctions.

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Friday, December 27, 2002 3:38 PM

Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #1947039924

> If you think the shipping is high, then you are not keeping yourself

> apprised of the current USPS rates. Shipping is a lot more expensive now

> than it was one year ago. PLUS, these boxes as they are now packed are

big

> enough. It is simply not feasible to combine them into bigger boxes than

> they are already in.

>

> Of course, you should not bid on the auctions if you don't want to. But I

> am conducting these auctions in the only feasible way I see.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >From: Ed Siegler

> >To: Richard Law Orloski

> >Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #1947039924

> >Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:48:44 -0500

> >

> >Well, thanks for your time. I will not be bidding on the auctions as I

> >feel

> >that the shipping is a bit high, especially since combined shipping is

not

> >permitted.

> >

> >Thanks again for your time,

> >Ed

> >----- Original Message -----

> >From: "Richard Law Orloski"

> >To:

> >Sent: Friday, December 27, 2002 12:11 PM

> >Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #1947039924

> >

> >

> > > Sorry, but I don't want to get involved in any "personal pick-up"

> > > situations. I think the mail is still the safest way to handle this

> >type

> >of

> > > sale. Rick.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > >From: ed@siegler.net

> > > >To: orloski@hotmail.com

> > > >Subject: Question for seller -- Item #1947039924

> > > >Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 23:33:53 PST

> > > >

> > > >Hello,

> > > >

> > > >I live in southeast PA as well. Would you be opposed to a personal

> >pickup

> > > >of items as I am interested in bidding on ALL of your auctions, and

the

> >s/h

> > > >charges comined would get rather pricey.

> > > >

> > > >Please let me know & thank you for your time,

> > > >Ed

> > > >--------------------

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >Question from: ed@siegler.net

> > > >Title of item: Atari 2600 System COMPLETE plus 5 games/1 ER

> > > >Seller: ourjoe

> > > >Starts: Dec-21-02 20:19:19 PST

> > > >Ends: Dec-28-02 20:19:19 PST

> > > >Price: Currently $4.50

> > > >To view the item, go to:

> > > >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1947039924

I feel for you Ed. I sold an Omega Race a couple of weeks ago to a guy in Germany. He had bought some items from me previously and had me ship them to his gf in New York City. She works there, and maybe even lives there. Not sure if this was temporary, but something had happened that the board was loose on the Pitfall I sold him for the CV. So I told him I'd give him $6.00 credit towards future purchases.

So he went ahead and bought the Omega Race from me on the condition that I meet his gf and she get it from me in person. I had told him that I was heading into the city a few days earlier and that the condition of his bidding was that I would go into the city and meet her. Since I was going to be there regardless, I didn't see it as a problem.

The point of this is that I've met a few of my customers in person. In fact I've bought from people and picked them up live too. I see no problem in allowing a customer to save on shipping if they are within distance and they are willing to travel. In fact, I'd be happy since then I wouldn't have to spend the time packing up the items, addressing it, then lugging it to the post office.

Good luck.

Phil

Guess what? It costs me less to ship to Canada airmail for a cartridge than it does to ship priority just 5 miles away.

Yes, I have noticed this as well. However, if you send that same cartridge via First Class mail (in, say, a bubble envelope) it'll be cheaper. But if you want to send it boxed, forget it. I think the recent rate hikes for Priority Mail are crazy, and they always seem to adjust Parcel Post so that Priority Mail is just a touch more expensive. I am going to investigate FedEx and UPS Ground as shipping alternatives because I'm sick of the USPS.

..Al