IGNORED

Games i would love to see on the 7800

gooner73

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum, but not new to atari.I love my old 8 bit babies! Looking at the new xm module and the possibility of some more advanced 7800 carts being made (finally : )), i i have made a list of games that i would love to see converted to the 7800.These are all titles from the 8 bit era, be they arcade conversions or Atari 8 bit computer games.Here goes.....

Pang

bombjack

miner2049er/bounty bob

chuckie egg

ghosts n goblins

space harrier

gauntlet

arkanoid

tapper

Mr.do

r-type or Nemesis

bubble bobble

rainbow islands

These are just some of my all time faves that i truly think would have always been great 7800 games!

please feel free to comment and add your own.

Emile : )

• Like 1

gauntlet

There is a similar game (same heritage) called DARK CHAMBERS. According to legend, there was a 7800 version that never got released, but it has yet to be found.

arkanoid

Search this forum for Arkanoid. There's a Homebrew work in progress.

r-type or Nemesis

Do a search for SIRIUS.

Cheers

Pandora's Palace -

Arabian -

Arabian was even licensed by Atari in the arcades, and I believe neither were ported to any game system. Both could potentially be fantastic on the 7800, and different than any other previous offerings.

Edited by Trebor

Pandora's Palace -

Arabian -

Arabian was even licensed by Atari in the arcades, and I believe neither were ported to any game system. Both could potentially be fantastic on the 7800, and different than any other previous offerings.

Those both look fantastic, I bet the 7800 could pull them off to.

Arabian did have a Famicom version called Super Arabian, but there wasn't anything super about it. It definitely deserves a better home version.

Because Defender and Defender II both require more than two buttons. NES Defender II only used two buttons, but that's because the developers made it as a somewhat scaled-down version of the arcade original.

It didn't stop the 2 joystick 2600 port of Stargate/Defender II, though.

Edited by BrianC

Because Defender and Defender II both require more than two buttons. NES Defender II only used two buttons, but that's because the developers made it as a somewhat scaled-down version of the arcade original.

It didn't stop the 2 joystick 2600 port of Stargate/Defender II, though.

Exactly. I'd think a two button 7800 port of the original Defender would certainly be possible.

Edited by AtariLeaf

The problem is picking stuff that isn't already on the NES. My first instinct in these threads is always to go with "Circus Charlie" -- I loved that arcade game and I think the 7800's bright colors and good palette would add quite a bit to that game, but the NES version is quite adequate in its own right and does a good job of using the fun of the original arcade game. The same applies for "Mappy" -- you instantly think it would be a great idea, but then realize that the NES version is quite good in its own right. That really narrows down the list quite a bit for games that would be unique yet a great amount of fun!

Pandora's Palace would be an amazing offering on the 7800. A fun, great little arcade game with cool music and an awesome theme yet isn't available on the NES! Excellent choice. :thumbsup: Arabian doesn't seem to have enough to offer for a fully-fleshed out game; it seems a coder would have to add more than the few levels before 'GAME OVER' if that youtube video is to be trusted for a complete game playthrough. I've never played it so I'm not sure, but it seemed to only have 4 screens then game over!

Here are some arcade game ideas to toss around and see what people think:

Pac & Pal - exclusive to Japan, but nonetheless a pretty good game, although Super Pac is quite awesome and very similar.

Moon Cresta - only made on SNES, could be a good choice to show what the earlier iterations could do! Plus it's a pretty good little shooter.

Satan's Hollow - This one could really show the 7800s graphics capability and would really show off the music of the console quite well!

Bubbles - A quirky little Williams title but is an absolute blast to play! Would add a bit of fun and replayability to the 7800!

Bosconian or Time Pilot - both could be great choices, good updates!

Hunchback - a great little game that's like Pandora's Palace! Good sound IIRC.

Bomb Jack - This port was absolutely amazing on the A8, I think the 7800 could do it quite well as well!

Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory - this is an original title that would make a unique little port to the 7800, as it's not seen elsewhere!

Realistically any of Atari's arcade offerings from the time period would be good, as well, though I know people don't like arcade ports to be homebrews as frequently. I think a 7800 imagining of Indy: Temple of Doom would be cool, as with others like Xybots, Roadblasters, etc. -- although the Lynx does these well, the 7800 could 'flesh out' these experiences and really it's a great opportunity to showcase the "might have been" had Atari really pushed the console.

I think the difficulty here, however, is in avoiding turning the 7800 into what the ColecoVision offered in the earlier generation -- a console that plays mostly arcade ports of quirky, different games that weren't mainstream. Although I love the ColecoVision for what it did with those games, since the 7800 came from the powerhouse of the industry pre-NES, it just doesn't seem to do it justice to relegate it to arcade ports of obscure games ala CV.

Of course I always enjoy original homebrews and would love seeing those more! :)

EDIT: Make Trax is an awesome idea. I love that game and think it would be done very well on the 7800! :)

• Like 1

The problem is picking stuff that isn't already on the NES. My first instinct in these threads is always to go with "Circus Charlie" -- I loved that arcade game and I think the 7800's bright colors and good palette would add quite a bit to that game, but the NES version is quite adequate in its own right and does a good job of using the fun of the original arcade game. The same applies for "Mappy" -- you instantly think it would be a great idea, but then realize that the NES version is quite good in its own right.

Circus Charlie was never released in the United States for the Nes. It was only released in Japan for Famicom back in 1986. Circus Charlie wasn't released any game consoles of handhelds in North America before Konami Arcade Classics was released for the Playstation in 1999.

The United States didn't get Mappy for the Nes. Mappy was only released in Japan for the Nes back in 1984. The United States only got the sequel of Mappy for the Nes.

Japan and United States got Mappy-land for the Famicom/NES. Japan got it first in 1986. I own Mappy-land matter of fact and played Mappy on Namco Museum Vol. 2 for the Playstation. Mappy-land is a sequel to Mappy.

Edited by 8th lutz