IGNORED

Games i would love to see on the 7800

gooner73

Arabian did have a Famicom version called Super Arabian, but there wasn't anything super about it. It definitely deserves a better home version.

Thanks for the info and I agree it is not "super". They got one or two of the sound effects correct and a rough idea of board layout. But the gameplay is off including too 'fast'. Plus what's up with spelling all these other words but "ARABIAN"...lol.

Arabian doesn't seem to have enough to offer for a fully-fleshed out game; it seems a coder would have to add more than the few levels before 'GAME OVER' if that youtube video is to be trusted for a complete game playthrough. I've never played it so I'm not sure, but it seemed to only have 4 screens then game over!

It definitely is not a complete play through. The game does not end after four boards but continues to go with ramped up difficulty and challenge. There are four boards per section (Something similar to Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr); I have gone as far as Section 2 board 4 or Section 3 board 1 (Can't remember for sure). I am unsure how many sections before the game ends. But it is not just 4 boards and game over.

Edited by Trebor

Looking at the video clip I posted again for Arabian, you'll notice at the high score screen it states "Section 2". Even then, I'm not sure if that's the legit end of the game, or he made his video by recording finishing Section 1 then an edit to another round (or even the same game) where he died somewhere on Section 2 which brought up the game over to high score screens.

In fact under the comments for the video it states:

"Comments

is that really the whole game?

darkryu38 1 month ago

After the game is repeated (more difficult) until you lose all your lives.

MamePlayer 1 month ago"

As mentioned earlier, I believe the game continues similar to a DK/DKJR fashion, each section contains 4 boards (pages) with increasing difficulty each time the section is beat.

Edited by Trebor

I forgot all about Make Trax. A local mall had one of those by the mall entrance in the early 80s. Loved that game. I agree - great idea for a 7800 port. I don't think a home version has been done on any console of the time has it? Appeared on any modern compilations?

Crush Roller (the name of the JP original) had a version for Neo Geo Pocket Color (ADK was the company that originally made the game). Also, that Famicom game similar to Make Trax was an odd Chinese pirate, not a JP game.

Edited by BrianC

I haven't been able to play any 7800 homebrews yet, but I eagerly await the day I can. It seems to me that PacManPlus has the right idea with his games. The best original 7800 games were perfected versions of 2600 & early 80's arcade games (Asteroids, Centipede, Joust) with extra features not available on any other console (simultaneous 2 player with Asteroids and Centipede). Homebrews like the 7800 version of Circus Atari continue this tradition. I'm not so interested in ports of games that are available on the NES unless there is a significant upgrade in graphics or gameplay over the NES version.

The first 2600 game that comes to mind for a 7800 homebrew makeover is Frogs & Flies. Great game, hideous graphics on the 2600. Could look and play great on the 7800!

The problem is picking stuff that isn't already on the NES. My first instinct in these threads is always to go with "Circus Charlie" -- I loved that arcade game and I think the 7800's bright colors and good palette would add quite a bit to that game, but the NES version is quite adequate in its own right and does a good job of using the fun of the original arcade game. The same applies for "Mappy" -- you instantly think it would be a great idea, but then realize that the NES version is quite good in its own right. That really narrows down the list quite a bit for games that would be unique yet a great amount of fun!

Pandora's Palace would be an amazing offering on the 7800. A fun, great little arcade game with cool music and an awesome theme yet isn't available on the NES! Excellent choice. :thumbsup: Arabian doesn't seem to have enough to offer for a fully-fleshed out game; it seems a coder would have to add more than the few levels before 'GAME OVER' if that youtube video is to be trusted for a complete game playthrough. I've never played it so I'm not sure, but it seemed to only have 4 screens then game over!

Here are some arcade game ideas to toss around and see what people think:

Pac & Pal - exclusive to Japan, but nonetheless a pretty good game, although Super Pac is quite awesome and very similar.

Moon Cresta - only made on SNES, could be a good choice to show what the earlier iterations could do! Plus it's a pretty good little shooter.

Satan's Hollow - This one could really show the 7800s graphics capability and would really show off the music of the console quite well!

Bubbles - A quirky little Williams title but is an absolute blast to play! Would add a bit of fun and replayability to the 7800!

Bosconian or Time Pilot - both could be great choices, good updates!

Hunchback - a great little game that's like Pandora's Palace! Good sound IIRC.

Bomb Jack - This port was absolutely amazing on the A8, I think the 7800 could do it quite well as well!

Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory - this is an original title that would make a unique little port to the 7800, as it's not seen elsewhere!

Realistically any of Atari's arcade offerings from the time period would be good, as well, though I know people don't like arcade ports to be homebrews as frequently. I think a 7800 imagining of Indy: Temple of Doom would be cool, as with others like Xybots, Roadblasters, etc. -- although the Lynx does these well, the 7800 could 'flesh out' these experiences and really it's a great opportunity to showcase the "might have been" had Atari really pushed the console.

I think the difficulty here, however, is in avoiding turning the 7800 into what the ColecoVision offered in the earlier generation -- a console that plays mostly arcade ports of quirky, different games that weren't mainstream. Although I love the ColecoVision for what it did with those games, since the 7800 came from the powerhouse of the industry pre-NES, it just doesn't seem to do it justice to relegate it to arcade ports of obscure games ala CV.

Of course I always enjoy original homebrews and would love seeing those more! :)

EDIT: Make Trax is an awesome idea. I love that game and think it would be done very well on the 7800! :)

That is a wonderful list Cebus! :thumbsup: Give me some Moon Cresta!

Games I would love to see made for 7800:

-Spy Hunter

-Pheonix

-Rygar

-Galaga (arcade)

-Scramble

-Bump 'n Jump

-Impossible Mission II

-Pinball 7800

-Kobe Vs. Lebron

-Miner 49er

-Tapper

-ET Goes Home 7800

I could go on forever with this................................

Gaplus. please Gaplus. the only version EVER released of this game is on one of the obscure namco museums. And A big bump for A solid version of Time Pilot. I have like ten versions of that game and would still shell out for a decent Atari version.

Gaplus. please Gaplus. the only version EVER released of this game is on one of the obscure namco museums.

There was also a C64 version and the recent Namco Museums for the Wii have it too. I would like to see it on 7800, as well.

Bubbles - A quirky little Williams title but is an absolute blast to play! Would add a bit of fun and replayability to the 7800!

This game would have to include trak ball support and then it would be the true arcade experience. :thumbsup:

It came with a trackball? THe only Bubbles machines I ever saw had a joystick.

THe KLOV makes no mention of a trackball version...

http://www.arcade-mu...hp?game_id=7226

Bubbles is a game I would like to see attempted on the 78.

I'd also like to see

Crystal Castles

Marble Madness

Sinistar

Yar's Revenge

And a port from the Atari ST, Oids

Edited by Inky

This game would have to include trak ball support and then it would be the true arcade experience. :thumbsup:

It came with a trackball? THe only Bubbles machines I ever saw had a joystick.

THe KLOV makes no mention of a trackball version...

http://www.arcade-mu...hp?game_id=7226

Bubbles is a game I would like to see attempted on the 78.

I'd also like to see

Crystal Castles

Marble Madness

Sinistar

Yar's Revenge

And a port from the Atari ST, Oids

I could have sworn it came with a trackball, but to be honest I think I only ever played it once in the arcade (most of my love for it comes from MAME) and my memory of it is very hazy at best. Even if it didn't, trackball support in a game like that would be awesome -- I bet Bubbles would be a lot of fun with a trackball!

Games I would love to see made for 7800:

-Spy Hunter

-Pheonix

-Rygar

-Galaga (arcade)

-Scramble

-Bump 'n Jump

-Impossible Mission II

-Pinball 7800

-Kobe Vs. Lebron

-Miner 49er

-Tapper

-ET Goes Home 7800

I could go on forever with this................................

Great list, and I was just thinking yesterday that the 7800 needs a version of Phoenix. Besides the 2600 version, I don't think there are any other console versions of Phoenix are there?

Also, I'd love a great new pinball homebrew. Are there any homebrew pinballs for any classic system?

• 1 month later...

Gaplus

Boxyboy

Mappy - never was released in the United States on the Nes

Circus Charlie - never was released in the United States on the Nes

Star Castle

Crazy Climber

Moon Cresta

Twinbee

King's Valley

Penguin Adventure

Edited by 8th lutz