IGNORED

Posting links to recently finished ebay auctions...

nofrills100

Posting links to recently finished ebay auctions...  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a defined rule about posting recently completed auctions?

• yes
    • no

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

It has happened to me a few times, and i've seen it happen to others.

Someone gets a fantastic deal on ebay, or another online auction site, whether is be via a BIN or a completed auction duration - and then someone here starts a thread like "Wow - someone just got a bargain on an ultrarare such-and-such". Before you know it some sob has contacted the seller and either told them the true value of something, or offered them a deal they can't refuse, and the buyer gets their money refunded with a message along the lines of "sorry, my dog just ate your item".

Whilst I am furious with the seller, I think the two main people that should be held responsible are the person who contacted the seller, and the person who posted the auction link.

Personally I'd like to see a defined protocol for such a scenario - like a grace period of 3 days before posting the link on AA. And perhaps repercussions to whoever does so - like a warning, followed by a 6 month ban on 'auction central' - or something.

Anyone else share my sentiments?

• Like 2

I don't think there needs to be a defined rule, just people need to use common sense and common courtesy.

If we wait until X amount of days before posting an auction link, and say something like "It's been X number of days, so I think it's okay to post this link", then perhaps more people will do this because of how we act around here - more of a standard operating practice than an actual rule. I think that the mods would find a rule about posting completed auction links only after a set amount of days kind of a pain to monitor.

• Like 2

Common sense sounds good to me as well. Unfortunately, those who post these types of post-auction links either:

A. They have no common sense with regards to the possible consequences of their actions (good intentions and all...)

or

B. They know fair well what they are doing, and either don't care or they have their own reasons for posting the link.

Either way, I agree with the OP with regards to this situation being pretty lame, but I don't see how it could be effectively moderated without driving the Mods insane. This is just a terribly sore subject, and is a testament to how eBay still has its' many flaws. Nothing's perfect tho.

I've had this exact type of scenario happen to me several times on eBay (even before I became a member here). It is sad to see that some collectors are a bit more cutthroat than others when it comes to what should just be a fun hobby (it is about playing video games after all...right?).

Bummer. icon_frown.gif

• Like 1

+1 nofrills!

The attidude you are describing has cost me a lot of eaten games/items as well in the past years and it seems that the

horde of "deal killers" is increasing.

I would not recommend a "rule" but I would like to have a pinned thread about this issue in the market place /auction central

section. Because some people have to think about it.

• Like 3

It's not going to work.

First, we don't know who's bidding on the item, AA members are not the only ones that bid, and are probably only fraction of all bidders.

Second, Maybe seller does not care what price he sell it for.

Third, You don't know who sent the msg to the seller, so you don't know who should be punished.

Forth, Maybe the dog really ate the item.

There are probably more arguments not to make a rule out of it.

Plus 1 to all.

Yes it seems the common sense approach is definitely the most effective means of going about it.

And I agree with Iwans 'pinned' idea - perhaps highlighting some general protocol for those not so aware of them (but would they read it, is another matter?)

What you're whining about here is nothing more than another form of side dealing, and we all know where you stand on that issue.

So go cry me a frickin' river, Mussolini.

I'll tell you what, I'll lend a sympathetic ear to this when we have a rule here that discourages all side dealers, not just the ones you find inconvenient.

:thumbsdown:

• Like 1

Haha, take a chill pill and get over yourself dude.

I'm talking about posting links to recently finished items, and the morons who poach items from people who have legitimately won them.

That aside, if you want to hate on people who make a seller an offer outside of ebay before it has any bids on it, then you are hating on a great many AA members, some of them highly regarded amongst the community.

Haha, take a chill pill and get over yourself dude.

Don't try and piss down my back and tell me it's raining! Dude.

You come in here, donning your self-styled brass hat, trying to establish rules of conduct and punishment for members of AtariAge, but you're perfectly content to turn around and break ebay's rules whenever you see fit.

And I'm the one who needs to get over myself!?!

I'm talking about posting links to recently finished items, and the morons who poach items from people who have legitimately won them.

Spare me the nuances of your self-serving mind. It's a side deal, nothing more.

people who make a seller an offer outside of ebay before it has any bids on it...

"before it has any bids on it..."

You say that as if it were some sort of virtue. :lol:

Too bad none of the other footpads in your guild share these enlightened principles. Why don't you go preach your "ethics" to them because I'm not at all interested in your retarded rationalizations.

You willfully and arrogantly break the kinds of rules that you expect everyone else to live by. Nothing more needs to be said.

then you are hating on a great many AA members, some of them highly regarded amongst the community.

I couldn't possibly care less. A rose by any other name would smell so... stank.

• Like 1