IGNORED

5200 or Colecovision

tz101

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which had the better game library?

• Colecovision
    • Atari 5200

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I don't know that Donkey Kong came out on the 5200, wow! I always thought that was CV's killer app. I'll have to check that out.

Its excellent IMO. I have it on the XL/XE but if its the same game, its fantastic.

I am seriously interested in giving the 5200 a second chance... I had a bad experience with shitty controllers the first time around, before I knew about this site. And yes, I believe it is the same game.

Off-topic: I just did a preorder for the new INTV DK, that one looks AWESOME!! :)

I always find this question fascinating. No one ever asks "which library was better, the 2600 or the Intellivision?"

I've always felt that if you love home versions of classic 80's arcade games then THIS generation of consoles is the best for you. If you look across both libraries you get a lot of the most popular arcade games of the day as well as some obscure gems. Get both consoles and a usb multi cart for each and live in classic console heaven (and arguably in controller Hell).

I'm going with Colecovision..I have almost a full set (well, minus quite a few ;) )

And, its one console I can never get bored with. The arcade ports are usually what get me wanting to play other versions and so forth...

As for the 5200, out of the many consoles I own, the BEAST has yet to ever been played or owned by me. :?

Because of that, I can only go w/ the one I've experienced, and what a hell of an experience the Modded AV with the SAC is!

The CV has a lot of great games, but in general I like the 5200's games better - sort of a quantity vs. quality issue for me. A lot of CV titles just seem to look and play choppy, where the 5200 is always very smooth. I sold my CV a few years back, and the 5200 has been getting constant play time. Had to vote 5200.

Question.

Does your opinion of the controller help or hurt your opinion of the game library?

Aside from Intellivision, 5200 and ColecoVision have the two most widely criticized controllers.

I'd add the 7800 to that list, although it's probably the least owned of the four so not as many owners to criticize.

• Like 1

Question.

Does your opinion of the controller help or hurt your opinion of the game library?

Aside from Intellivision, 5200 and ColecoVision have the two most widely criticized controllers.

I'd add the 7800 to that list, although it's probably the least owned of the four so not as many owners to criticize.

The 7800 proline stick is the WORST. I get the worst hand cramps from it. CV controller too but not as bad.

The 5200 controller feels the most comfortable of any controller to date. For me anyway.

Both have their pros and cons. I've had both several times. It's easier and cheaper to replace a CV controller. Just modded a 3 button Sega Genesis controller and it works flawlessly, just plug that into port 1 and a CV controller with a working keypad and it's awesome. Plus you can use it on the CV, 7800 with 2 different button control, the Atari 2600 even Omega race, and the Atari 8 bit computers. The Atari 5200 controller on the other hand is going to cost around $40 to get rebuiltt bi. But that being said I'd have to say it's pretty much a draw IMHO. Hard to decide as I love both systems really.

• 2 weeks later...

If ever there was a subjective thing, this is it...

I'm assuming you mean at the present.

To me, it would be the CV, but it's close.

One of the advantages the 5200 had over the CV has been countered in part by the homebrewers; games like Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Ms. Pac-Man, and Mario Bros. are now on the CV, with better versions. As far as I know, though, 5200 homebrewers are now on the move, so this advantage is not as great as it once was.

Atari itself did not help: Galaxian is better on the CV, as its own Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Moon Patrol, and Joust would all clearly have been.

The CV also has the advantage with RPGs, the 5200 still doesn't have enough to overcome the CV.

However, with games like Star Raiders, the 5200 still has a clear advantage for first-person shooters. Dambusters doesn't come close, even the Intellivision beats the CV here.

This leaves the games that appear on one but not the other. Berzerk, Robotron: 2084, Super Pac-Man, Millipede, Qix, Pole Position, Super Breakout, and others for the 5200; Ladybug, Pepper 2, Bump ` N Jump, Frenzy, Turbo, Space Panic, and others for the CV.

As in 1982, one thing has not changed: the CV is still King of the Obscure Games, while the 5200 had more of the most popular.

So to me, it's still the CV, but it's really pretty close. No 5200 game has what Space Panic, Turbo, and Pepper 2 has, while no CV game has what Qix and Robotron: 2084- as well as Star Raiders- has. There's a reason why I've gone through so much trouble to get and keep the 5200 running. I used to like all of those arcade games back in the day, and only with both systems do I now have them all to play; neither system can do it alone.

Not the usual "Which system is better" thread. I just want reasons why you think either system had the better overall game library, not diatribes about which one had bad controllers or such

Hard to tell on my behalf as I have not played them both so much. But if we speak into mathematics one could say ColecoVision has the better library as it reaches 149 games while 5200 SuperSystem only had 69 and that gives the CV a higher average-good-game-ratio when there are more to choose from.

Personally, the both systems interest me likewise much, even though I have choosen to get a complete collection of the 5200 library while I only planned to get a few CV games so far. I also believe one reason for that choice could be that the library to the 5200 is more accessible as the prices are much lover and I easily could find complete and sealed games. For the CV it seems like most games, just as loose cartridges are priced 15-20$ while the prices on 5200 games drop down to 2-4$ a cartridge. And just to add, it seems like they don't appear as often as 5200 games