IGNORED

Tower Toppler or Castelian?

Armonigann

Well, I actually own Tower Toppler and its a great port I must say ;).

I've tried Castelian for the NES through emulation and the games are somewhat similar but I gotta say TT looks and plays much better.

Maybe, because I was playing Castelian emulated...What are you guys opinions on the two.

Isn't Castelian missing the side-scrolling bits between towers?

I believe they removed the shoot 'em up portions, but from what I can tell they were replaced with other in-between segments.

I have only played the 7800 version but I watched some videos of the NES recently to draw comparisons. From what I can tell, the visuals may be "better" in the NES version. Color-wise I think it may be up to preference, but everything looks smoother (it doesn't have that rigid look a lot of 7800 games have). I believe the playfield also fills up more of the screen and judging by the videos, it may even move at a slightly smoother pace. Now, to track down a working cart for myself (the one I have doesn't function, d'oh)...

Isn't Castelian missing the side-scrolling bits between towers?

It's missing the shooting parts, but it has a different bonus round instead. The JP Famicom one is especially odd. The frog is replaced by a bird and the bonus rounds use the theme that was the title screen for the US/EU versions (which is also the title screen theme for the 7800 version), with the music for the bonus rounds used as the title screen theme in the JP version. I think it's called something like Kyoro-chan Land.

Tower Toppler because it's the one I've owned, but I've played the game in its many incarnations.

I've played the C64 version, the NES and Game Boy "Castelian" version. Heck I even had a version of the game on my TI-89 back a few years ago. And I have a GBA ROM that someone did a few years back as well with updated graphics and sound effects (homebrew app for some kind of GBA programming competition. Another entry in it was a conversion of "Out Of This World" for the GBA).